National Gun Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
So I'm trying (and failing) to re-assemble my Mark 3 after its first cleaning. I get 3/4 of the way thru this reassembly video below, and when I go to slide the "peg" of the grip frame assembly thru the hole in the bolt, the "peg" will not go all the way thru. Any ideas? I will post a picture soon.

{LINK DELETED PER FORUM RULES}

adf

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep, and as a woman, I've already read it too ;)
Step 7 on page 25 is where I'm having the problem. But actually I noticed something I didn't notice before, and that is that the trigger apparently should be held down while putting the "peg" through the "hole". don't know if that would fix my problem or not though. Things I've already tried are tapping with a mallet to make sure the top part of the gun is overhanging the bottom part of the gun by a little bit, and making sure that the hammer is in the correct position. I will try again while holding the trigger and see if that helps. If not I will update with a picture. Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
11,573 Posts
Keep us posted. I have a 1911 that I HATE cleaning so it mostly sits in the safe. Nice shooting pistol but dang, it's a bear to clean it!

--Wag--

·
Registered
9,382 Posts
Here is a good video to watch on dissassembly and reassembly. Just be aware that he does use some language in his video.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK that video might help since it's much closer up than the video on the ruger site. To wag, holding the trigger wasn't the issue. holding the trigger doesn't seem to do anything. here are some pictures. if anyone can see the problem, i'd be much obliged. also, if anyone has this gun and can post close ups of what it should look like at this stage, i'd also be much obliged. Wag, why specifically is the 1911 a pain to clean? do you have an old Colt or do you have a ruger version or which? I've actually thought of getting a 1911 once I get better at shooting. Started with the 22 so I could have plenty of cheap ammo and no recoil for practicing, but I shot a 1911 once and it was so fun. IMG440.jpg IMG436.jpg IMG438.jpg

·
Super Moderator
11,573 Posts
RE, the 1911, it's merely my opinion. I love shooting it, I just hate cleaning it!

--Wag--

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
The 1911, IMO, is really easy to clean, after all it was originally built for the military so it was made to be disassembled with minimum tools, fact one old military manual I saw had most of the disassembly being done with the end of the hammer strut. And all of the pins push and pull out real easy like.
As far as the Rugers, the takedown ,put back will get easier with practice.... and a lot of cussin

·
Super Moderator
11,573 Posts
The 1911, IMO, is really easy to clean, after all it was originally built for the military so it was made to be disassembled with minimum tools, fact one old military manual I saw had most of the disassembly being done with the end of the hammer strut. And all of the pins push and pull out real easy like.
As far as the Rugers, the takedown ,put back will get easier with practice.... and a lot of cussin
My Ruger P-pistol. No tools, 10 seconds. Sig P220, No tools, 10 seconds. Beretta 92FS, No tools 8 seconds.

1911. I don't have the "special tool" so I have to use the end of a screwdriver, wrapped in a rag to keep from scratching the gun. After a ton of swearing and cursing, I can get that thing to rotate around and start disassembling. On average, about 8 to 10 minutes to succeed in getting it broken down. Putting it back together is just as much of a hassle. Not to mention, I'm not about to try to tear it down on the range.

--Wag--

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
When you say 8 seconds no tools, you are obviously talking about removing the slide , and maybe the barrel, but, if you are talking about a complete disassembly , I am guessing it will be much more.
As far as the 1911, I don't understand by what "thing" you are talking about that has to be rotated around? All of my 1911's, well almost all my 1911 , I can push the plunger in with my finger and turn the bushing with my other fingers with no problem, you just need to remember which way you turn the bushing first then remove the plunger and turn it back the other way.
then its a matter of lining up the notch for the slide release and pulling everything off, since I never time myself and don't like to rush things I would guess it is a 10-15 second exercise.
my Officers ACP I can depress the plunger with my finger enough to get the bushing out but then have to use a screwdriver to push the plunger and turn it to where it will come out, but it still only takes a few seconds. I have several spare bushing "wrenches", so if you would like one let me know , I would be more than happy to send one. They do make it easy to pop the bushing out.
As far as fully disassembling a pistol , in practiced hands, I would think the 1911 can be stripped quicker than the others, I know it can be as far as the Beretta, at least my 96 takes longer and is a much bigger pain to reassemble than my 1911's

·
Super Moderator
11,573 Posts
That bushing won't depress with the fingers, that's for dang sure! At least, not on the Para Ordnance! LOL

--Wag--

·
Registered
49 Posts
You know Wag you could give me your 1911, it could piss me off all it wants, I would love to have another to go with the ones I already have LOL Texas Flag.gif

·
Super Moderator
11,573 Posts
You bet. I'll give you that pistol just as soon as you give me some cash. I believe it's worth $1,000 to $1,200.

:)

--Wag--

1 - 15 of 15 Posts