National Gun Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
However, I think the Colt Cobra in .38 Special +P is the best bet over the Smith and Wesson 642 even at its hefty $700 retail price for waist-pack and outdoor carry.

There used to be a time when major American handgun makers had their modern double-action revolvers as their lower price guns while their autoloading pistols were once more pricey.

In the late 1980's, a new full-frame Smith and Wesson revolver was typically under $400. I think the larger-frame Colt Cobra .357 back then was around that price ballpark as well. A full-frame Colt .45 Govt. Model then was closer to $700. Oddly, in the side-by-side video below, the Colt bore looks bigger though both guns are supposed to be .38's.

·
Live Free
2,889 Posts
In the 80’s guns were made out of steel mostly and some aluminum. Both revolver and semi-auto frames were machined steel and they did not have the benefit with CNC machining like we do today. And today, a large number of semi-auto frames are made out of polymer which cuts costs greatly, whereas revolvers are still mostly all machined steel frames, Good metal framed semi-auto guns are still quite a bit more pricey compared to polymer counterparts, and typically similar priced with a good revolver.

There, I fixed it.

·
Banned
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
In the 80’s guns were made out of steel mostly and some aluminum. Both revolver and semi-auto frames were machined steel and they did not have the benefit with CNC machining like we do today. And today, a large number of semi-auto frames are made out of polymer which cuts costs greatly, whereas revolvers are still mostly all machined steel frames, Good metal framed semi-auto guns are still quite a bit more pricey compared to polymer counterparts, and typically similar priced with a good revolver.

Without thinking first, I responded to the troll. I hereby repent.
Troll? :weapons:pardon? :yikes1::yikes1: I would repent :devil: for passing judgment.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts