National Gun Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Genius in Training
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As of the last couple weeks I can count the number of 7.62 x 54r rounds I have on both hands and a couple toes so I was wanting to get some bulk ammo so I can get it cheap and I wouldn’t have to worry about my supply for a while. I used one of my mosins last fall for deer hunting, and I used a PowerPoint round from Winchester (or whatever that round is called) but I was wondering if it would be possible to take a drill to the tip of an FMJ bullet and turn it into a hollow point. It would screw with the ballistics a little bit but in the deer stand where I would use that gun, my maximum shot is only about 100 yards anyway. When deer season comes around I could always just go buy a single box of the proper hunting ammo but I wondered if you guys thought my idea was feasible.

·
Registered
6,452 Posts
As of the last couple weeks I can count the number of 7.62 x 54r rounds I have on both hands and a couple toes so I was wanting to get some bulk ammo so I can get it cheap and I wouldn’t have to worry about my supply for a while. I used one of my mosins last fall for deer hunting, and I used a PowerPoint round from Winchester (or whatever that round is called) but I was wondering if it would be possible to take a drill to the tip of an FMJ bullet and turn it into a hollow point. It would screw with the ballistics a little bit but in the deer stand where I would use that gun, my maximum shot is only about 100 yards anyway. When deer season comes around I could always just go buy a single box of the proper hunting ammo but I wondered if you guys thought my idea was feasible.
Not a good idea at all. In fact a really bad idea. Have you ever tried to drill a hole in lead? Even with a drill press it is nearly impossible. The lead is very soft and it tends to pull the bit into itself. Getting a consistent depth would be very hard to do. When the lead grabs the bit the bullet would spin in the case. If this does not heat the case enough to to set the primer off it will change the seating of the bullet which will make your OAL inconsistent. Possibly to the point of damaging the rifle or removing your hand and portions of your face.

I am also not sure of the lawfulness of doing this.

·
Genius in Training
495 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I suppose the only way to prevent any of that would be to squeeze hard with vice grips that that would mark and deform the bullet to the point where I probably couldn’t use it anyway.

With 1,000,001 different hollowpoint and ballistic tip bullets on the market, how would doing it by hand yourself when you into legal issues. I get the whole manufacturing thing sometimes runs into legal issues but you can reload ammo and cast bullets so why would that be any different.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Ok, big difference between modifying existing ammo and reloading. Everything Sliplace says can go wrong is correct. I would not run the risk of blowing my rifle or/and myself up to save a few dollars.

First thing is to find a hunting load your rifle likes and then stock some. I like solid copper hp for hunting (Barnes). Expansion, penetration, and retention is leaps and bounds beyond jacketed lead.

Use the the bulk fmj for just shooting.

·
Premium Member
6,103 Posts
Even though surplus Mosin 7.62X54R has doubled in price since they were dumped on the market, it’s still relatively cheap. You could and should practice with what’s ever available and when it gets down to serious hunting practice and actual hunting you should use the best hunting ammo you can afford. For hunting you should find out what your gun likes and practice with that and use that for hunting.

·
Jesus Saves
7,880 Posts
I hope I never hear on the news about someone who tries this and fails.......the outcome, IMO, can be very bad. I'm no expert, but I certainly would not risk my life (or any part of it) to save a few dollars.

Just sayin'.........let the experts tall ya otherwise, this chicken likes it safe.

·
Registered
6,251 Posts
I wouldn't recommend doing what your asking to loaded ammo just for safety reasons....I do something similar to what your asking to bullets before they get loaded...I trim the metplats first, then I use this tool (pic below) chucked up in the end mill to uniform the hole and run the bullets through a pointing die....it makes nice concentric clean chamfered tight holes and very consistent BC's for long range work.....I do it for a different reasons than what you would be doing it for...You are wanting to initiate expansion on non hunting bullet which may or may not work.

·
Super Moderator
11,371 Posts
It's a lot more complicated than just drilling the points. Refer to Rivervalley's post above.

Just buy ammo you need for the purpose you need.

--Wag--

·
Banned
1,113 Posts
Effectiveness of hollow points is overestimated, IMHO.
My EDC is loaded with FMJ.
Penetration is the King!

·
Registered
6,452 Posts
I suppose the only way to prevent any of that would be to squeeze hard with vice grips that that would mark and deform the bullet to the point where I probably couldn’t use it anyway.

With 1,000,001 different hollowpoint and ballistic tip bullets on the market, how would doing it by hand yourself when you into legal issues. I get the whole manufacturing thing sometimes runs into legal issues but you can reload ammo and cast bullets so why would that be any different.
Buying guns lawful. Buying beat up guns and reworking and re-manufacturing them into useful fire arms, lawful. Building a zip gun not lawful.

And the one that really frosts my cookies.... Patio fire ring, lawful. Using the patio fire ring to burn up a fallen tree branch, lawful. Using a burning barrel to burn up a fallen tree branch, $350 fine. [ This is the law in my town. ]

·
Banned
8,370 Posts
As to the ammo; just use your FMJ and the deer in the head

·
Registered
13,357 Posts
Just another thing to point out. Depending on how much material you remove you are changing the weight of the bullet that was already loaded to a specific load.

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
54,130 Posts
HP ammo is a poor choice for big game hunting. It does not penetrate enough to be effective.
FMJ ammo is a poor choice for big game hunting. It does not expand and is not effective.

For hunting big game in the lower 48 states 'bite the bullet' and purchase traditional soft point ammunition. It is sufficient to suffice.

Lookie here: https://www.nationalgunforum.com/ammo-talk/37607-bottom-line-bullets-primer.html

Reactions: Wag

·
Registered
2 Posts
Not a good idea at all. In fact a really bad idea. Have you ever tried to drill a hole in lead? Even with a drill press it is nearly impossible. The lead is very soft and it tends to pull the bit into itself. Getting a consistent depth would be very hard to do. When the lead grabs the bit the bullet would spin in the case. If this does not heat the case enough to to set the primer off it will change the seating of the bullet which will make your OAL inconsistent. Possibly to the point of damaging the rifle or removing your hand and portions of your face.

I am also not sure of the lawfulness of doing this.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Yes you can do this and there are several good videos on Youtube about this subject however Siplace is also correct. The need for the proper tools and safety will be paramount in this process. You NEVER try to modify existing complete ammunition. You can modify components for handloading. Also you will need a small bench metal lathe (at the very least) and tooling. You can chuck up the bullet and proceed to process it into your own HP. If you don't have the expertise to do this the learning curve is not exceptional but if you just try to "wing it" DON'T.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts