National Gun Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Growing up, I visited the indoor ranges a lot..fired many different firearms...from the UZI, to 1911 style .45's... .44 magnums, everything in between. Maybe it's because these firearms were well used rentals, but when I was 13 I could load a magazine FAR easier than with my current firearm.
I have a S&W Shield .40. The 7 round mag I was able to load up using a LOT of brute force. The 6 round mag...it's literally impossible to load it beyond 5 rounds, I am 6'1", big dude...and I cannot get the last round to go in.

Question: Does anyone make aftermarket clips for this pistol that are not so hard to load? Without the nasty quirky, grindy odd-noise-making springs? I know that S&W is not known for their fit or finish so I have to assume somebody has invented a magazine for this that is actually "precision" ..good springs, easy to put rounds into.

With this guns stock magazines..holy crap..makes me want a revolver. If I ever had to reload these things under duress...I'm toast.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
Some mags are easy to load like a 1911 and others are real hard like your Shield. The good news is they will get easier to some extent with time and use. I have a shield and they are hard to load and rough on the thumbs if you happen to slip. Glock mags are also tough to load when new but they loosen up as well and will usually only give you a problem with the last round or two. They do make mag loaders to make it easier but i find them sort of clumsy to use so 99% of the time i just use my thumbs. There are a bunch of companies that make aftermarket mags for a variety of guns but i never looked to see if they make any for the shield. My advice is to just use them or get a mag loader and with time they will get easier to load but not necessarily easy, especially on the last round.

Reactions: deputy

·
Aim true !
10,046 Posts
I use a maglula uplula. For the hard to load mags.

·
Keep calm & return fire!
11,169 Posts
I am personally not a fan of aftermarket mags, with few exceptions. Wilson Combat makes excellent Aftermarket 1911 mags but for most manufactures I like to stick with OEM mags.
Mec-Gar makes pretty good aftermarket magazines as well

I'm trying really hard to ignore the magazine/clip thing...🤭

·
Registered
8,206 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the replies. Gotta be a company that makes aftermarket mags that are easier to load than stock ones. If not, seems like a really great business niche for the right person(s). Again, having to reload a magazine under duress... that's a bad scene.

·
Aim true !
10,046 Posts
Kit get the magula speed loader. You will like it a lot. I have one in my range bag. And one in the gun room. They have them in a variety of colors too.

·
Registered
6,117 Posts
see if someone offers a plus 1 or 2 rd floor plate for that model.......other than that, use a tool or just get use to it......it will get better with time.

had the same problem with the sig p226 12 rd 40 cal mags.....they eventually either eased up...... or my thumb got a lot stronger and less sensitive......its a coin toss which happened.........

·
Registered
145 Posts
+ 1 for the Uplula loader. Fantastic device.

I will add the thought that some guns like the .380 EZ that brag about their mags being easy to load have had problems reported that they fail to feed the last round. So low mag spring tension can be a double edged sword.

·
Super Moderator
5,691 Posts
New magazines will be hard to load at first and you wont get them fully loaded. Thats ok its normal load them to what they can then in a few days or weeks you'll be able to fully load.

The uplula loader is good other then this just keep practicing. I have students who at first find with great difficulty to load pistol magazines. Most keep getting the rim of the casing hitting the front of the casing on the already loaded cartridge, making it tough to load. Or others hitting the lips of the magazine without understanding they need to push down on the front of the cartridge in the magazine first....then when I explain this to them then I see them sliding off the loaded cartridge all together, losing dexterity and hand n eye coordination. Takes time, though others pick it up right quick.

·
Super Moderator
11,194 Posts
The maglula is a good one. There are a bazillion of them out there so find one that works best for you.

One of the ones I like a great deal are the ones Beretta includes with their pistols. They look like this:

The one Glock provides is similar. Ruger used to hand one out like that but I don't know if they still do.

My all time favorite is one I bought at a gun show 30 or so years ago that looks similar to this:

I bought two but I should have bought about a dozen. The little hook on the lower left corner is there to unload magazines by stripping rounds off the top Great tool.

At the risk of sounding somewhat patronizing (and I don't mean it) but here's a great link: How To Load Your Magazines With Ease

--Wag--

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
eh um I myself do not find the difficulties others mention. Maybe I am so elated by the fact 97% of what I carry has more than 7 bullets and the excitement helps in loading.

·
Jesus Saves
7,799 Posts
I have maglula to help me when I need it. Even have one for the AR.

I had a XDm that came with one but I liked the maglula better.

·
Aim true !
10,046 Posts
My 20 round mags that came with my Canik. Are easy to load. I was pleasantly surprised. They included a loader with the gun too.

·
Registered
35 Posts
I agree about the Uplula. I have a couple of each type, one that is used for loading 9mm up to .45 cal, and a mini Uplula for loading .22 up to .380 cal. The twenty round mags for my M1A are easy to load by hand.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts