National Gun Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I couldn't find any S&W magazines (M&P 2.0 9mm 17rd) in stock at an affordable price. So I bought a couple ETS clear plastic mags. They will do for practice, while my stock metal mags stay loaded with Critical Duty.

As I'm loading up the ETS, I'm looking at the spring. I don't know if I should cringe, or if this is normal. Only using metal mags where you never see the spring, I don't know what to think.

I had 10 or so rounds in the first magazine when I noticed the spring looked like it was collapsing in on itself, maybe getting tangled up. I loaded a few in the other one, paying better attention. The top few winds are narrower than the rest down to thd bottom. The other spring also looked like tangling up was immenent. Both finished loading - although I was only comfortable with 16 rounds in each; way too much effort to get that last one in!

Is this normal for magazine springs?
Ed

· Registered
121 Posts
Magazine springs become contorted when they get compressed. As do recoil springs on semi auto pistols. Especially those that do not have the spring itself captured like a Glock. Many models like some of the Tangfolio's, with short plastic guide rods, can cause them to bend. Like this one from my Stock III Witness. It warped so bad I had to replace it with a Stainless Steel model from Cajun Gun Works.

· Registered
19 Posts
I couldn't find any S&W magazines (M&P 2.0 9mm 17rd) in stock at an affordable price. So I bought a couple ETS clear plastic mags. They will do for practice, while my stock metal mags stay loaded with Critical Duty.

As I'm loading up the ETS, I'm looking at the spring. I don't know if I should cringe, or if this is normal. Only using metal mags where you never see the spring, I don't know what to think.

I had 10 or so rounds in the first magazine when I noticed the spring looked like it was collapsing in on itself, maybe getting tangled up. I loaded a few in the other one, paying better attention. The top few winds are narrower than the rest down to thd bottom. The other spring also looked like tangling up was immenent. Both finished loading - although I was only comfortable with 16 rounds in each; way too much effort to get that last one in!

Is this normal for magazine springs?
Ed
Some of the springs the off brands use are thin and week. Go to wolf springs and order replacement springs. They only take a minute to change and you’ll have a much better product. Make the inexpensive product as good as the good product.

· Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Shot the plastic ETS magazines today. One of them had a fail to feed -- the spring and follower got stuck with six or seven rounds remaining in the magazine. A friend knew how to take the base plate off and fix it. Glad these are my practice mags & not something I trust my life to!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.