National Gun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In hunting rifle like a Reminton model 783, can you use any magazine size? Most hunting rifles use 5 rounds, but could you put a 30+ round mag in? I understand that there would be no purpose in doing that, I'm more curious for curiosity's sake. Thanks for the answers.

· Premium Member
9,926 Posts
I you live in a non magazine capacity state, in theory, you could have a 500 round magazine and just keep shooting. The problem you’d have is that very few hunting guns actually have large magazines available.

· Grand Imperial Poobah
32,996 Posts
In NC, you are only allowed five rounds in your magazine or feed tube. If you're caught with more there is a fine and permanent lost of hunting license.

Reactions: Fitasc Shooter

· Live Free
4,509 Posts
It appears to me that the 783 has what might be described as proprietary mags, and it isn‘t going to take a p-mag unless you use the action in a chassis set-up. Remington does not offer bigger mags on their web site either. I personally don’t think the 783 would be worth the money to convert it into a chassis...but that’s just my opinion.

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
It appears to me that the 783 has what might be described as proprietary mags, and it isn‘t going to take a p-mag unless you use the action in a chassis set-up. Remington does not offer bigger mags on their web site either. I personally don’t think the 783 would be worth the money to convert it into a chassis...but that’s just my opinion.
Cool i appreciate that, it partially answers my question, its possible but yet there has to be some modifications, but that is just 783 is that with ALL hunting rifle platforms?

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Awesome! Thank you. So my curiosity stemmed from people who are afraid of the ar platform and "high capacity" magazines, would they still be afaird of the ar if it they realized the same rounds are used in hunting rifles and hunting rifles use "the same magazine " but I guess that isn't necessarily the case.

· Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I you live in a non magazine capacity state, in theory, you could have a 500 round magazine and just keep shooting. The problem you’d have is that very few hunting guns actually have large magazines available.
So what you're saying is you, cant put any ol 7.62/.308 mag, or in a 5.56/223 hunting rifle you can't slap in a 30 pmag?

· Premium Member
9,926 Posts
Pretty much what the 14 answers you got said. Magazines are usually proprietary to a specific model of gun. An AR10 Magazine will only fit an AR10 and it’s clones. Can you make a higher capacity magazine? Yes. Will it work? Eh, a magazine is one of the most sensitive parts of a guns function. It’s touchy but possible. You didn’t ask about legality but you got your answer. Most states limit you capacity in a hunting rifle. Some states limit your capacity in any gun.

· Registered
6,328 Posts
Awesome! Thank you. So my curiosity stemmed from people who are afraid of the ar platform and "high capacity" magazines, would they still be afaird of the ar if it they realized the same rounds are used in hunting rifles and hunting rifles use "the same magazine " but I guess that isn't necessarily the case.
It aint about "being scared of the AR" it's about control and your right to own a firearm regardless of the configuration.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.