National Gun Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have decided, after much soul searching, to go ahead and go after my FFL. Primarily, I’ll be doing gunsmithing, some builds, and manufacturing under an 07 and SOT3. Definitely not interested in opening a retail store.

Company name chosen, LLC in progress, meeting with my county’s sheriff went very well, spoke with my ATF contact. I have worked at a shop, where I ended up running it as the RP, so have some background and did a lot of ITAR work at a machine shop. I already have a line on my combo mill lathe.

My business model is fairly sound and has had some pretty good preliminary feedback.

Any advice?

Line Font Art Pattern Graphics

·
Registered
16,591 Posts
Advice......Don't do charity work.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Advice......Don't do charity work.
Too late, LOL. I felt bad for a co-worker of my wife. His house burnt down and his "grandpappy's" pistol was inside. He asked if I could make it look decent again. So I did it for him at no cost. It's a 1963 High Standard Double Nine Posse. Kind of unusual too, as it has wood handles and a brass plate finish on the grip and lower frame. It was in pretty rough shape, because it took them a while to find it inside the mess. That handle is supposed to be a red walnut color. Luckily, it was just the coating that discolored on the wood.
Revolver Gun barrel Gun accessory Auto part Trigger

Now be assured, I told him that since the pistol had been in a fire, I could not vouch for it's safety. He said this was in a glass case and is never fired. He just wanted it looking nice again.

This is what it looks like now without the handles (which still need refinishing):
Font Material property Cylinder Office supplies Metal

Got rid of most of the pitting and was able to get a good re-blue on it. It's definitely "case-worthy".

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
As I am in process for FFL, this work was done free of charge for a friend. ATF looks very badly on this if I was to charge for the work, and I am not going jeopardize my application.

Did it to see if I still had the chops

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
56,973 Posts
A gunsmith ia a machinist/cabnet maker/metalurgist/chemist/lawyer/customer service pro/salesman/problem solver/businessman who makes less money than he would in any of the aforementioned less regulated careers.
I had other (SS Disability & VA Disability) income and life on smithing income alone would have been difficult. I made my money when I retired and sold my shop.

Reactions: Wag

·
Keep calm & return fire!
13,755 Posts
A gunsmith ia a machinist/cabnet maker/metalurgist/chemist/lawyer/customer service pro/salesman/problem solver/businessman who makes less money than he would in any of the aforementioned less regulated careers.
I had other (SS Disability & VA Disability) income and life on smithing income alone would have been difficult. I made my money when I retired and sold my shop.
I remember you mentioning that you owned other businesses. Where these prior to or after gunsmithing or concurrent?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Popeye, I hear you. I have a full time job driving the BRT and the boo-boo bus. Me doing this is to supplement my income and give me something productive to do on my days off. I work a 24/48 shift so I have a bit of time off away from work.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts