National Gun Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Youngin' Shooter
74 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just been curious about this for a while, do the fixed back and front sights have to be perfectly aligned for the shot to be accurate, or can I move the front sight slightly around? A little hard to put into words, so here's a sample.

My question is, would the variation to the right work?

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
Short answer: No. Unless you could hold your sights as shown in the "variation" each and every time under all circumstances, you will miss your target. Sights, especially military sights, work because the human brain wants things to be aligned and symmetrical. When put to the shoulder, the sights should align as in the standard diagram and that’s what your brain “wants” to see.

·
Registered
568 Posts
youd go way off and right. almost unvarriably...

·
Drunk Supernova
6,002 Posts
I would highly suggest that you read the below publication. Then practice what you have learned.

In short, no it will not work the way you are supposed to. The difference in the POI will be less the closer you are to the target. But if you are talking about shooting at 300m the difference can be several feet.

http://pdf.textfiles.com/manuals/MILITA ... part01.pdf

If you forget everything else, remember these things. Sight alignment (what you see in the picture on the left), sight picture (focus on the front sight tip not the target). Slow steady squeeze with the meaty portion of your finger. Firing at the end of your exhale, check your natural point of aim before you fire.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts