National Gun Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Arizona "Desert Dweller"
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all! I'm an elk hunter around these parts of mid-northern Arizona, and I have to say, both in the forest and on the shooting range, my favorite rifle is my good ol' reliable M1A. The thing's been by my side for nearly a decade and a half and I've taken good care of it.

But I have seen this new bullpup chassis configuration for the M14/M1A called the Rouge Chassis System. I'm not one for being "taticool" but its alleged weight distribution changes seem pretty appealing.

To be clear, I'm not considering buying it for the purpose I use my M1A for, but I am curious to know if shortening the barrel with the chassis system would cause it to suffer performance-wise in range. Be gentle with me. I'm not familiar with these new-fangled bullpup designs.

That's all it is really, curiosity.
Thanks, and God Bless.

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
54,933 Posts
A shorter sight radius will usually lead to a decrease in accuracy, especially at longer ranges.

·
Registered
23 Posts
It would probably take some getting used to, but bullpup rifles are fantastic fun because of the shorter package while still maintaining barrel length. The weight distribution on these styles helps out with fatigue as well. Thats a cool looking setup, but more research is definetly needed to see if its what your looking for.

·
Registered
980 Posts
As hard as I try I just can't warm up to that design. I also can't see myself in the prone at the 500 meter line with it. I guess it is just a matter of personal taste. Back in 69 the Marine Corps handed me a M14 and I prefer my M1A to handle like and shoot like that rifle. By 72 when I got to Vietnam they handed me an M16 and just like the M14 my AR types all look like that rifle. :)

I will say if either of my dogs had a face as ugly as that rifle I would shave their butts and walk them backwards. :)

Seriously, it may be a fine rifle but nothing I would ever want to own. It may shoot fine and accurate but I do agree with Popeye as to the sight radius which looks pretty short to me.

Just My Take....
Ron

1 - 4 of 4 Posts