21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Aim true !
12,724 Posts
Very nice congrats. (y)

·
Registered
514 Posts
Use extreme caution with this rifle. You’ll become addicted after just one clip! Yes, clip is the correct term for this magazine. EnBlock. Besides the cool factor of the “greatest battle rifle ever devised”, it’s a great rifle to shoot and if you want, compete with, even as a service grade. Surplus ammo is getting harder to find but there’s still mountains of it to be released by other NATO countries and if that’s not an option, hand load or add an adjustable gas valve and shoot commercial ammo.
One thing you’ll notice is the impact in to range berm. If you shoot in to a dirt or sand berm, the way the stuff flys around compared to a 5.56 is dramatic. Those .30 bullets hit hard!
Germans knew that too. Of course what they used on us wasn't too shabby stuff either.

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Use extreme caution with this rifle. You’ll become addicted after just one clip! Yes, clip is the correct term for this magazine. EnBlock. Besides the cool factor of the “greatest battle rifle ever devised”, it’s a great rifle to shoot and if you want, compete with, even as a service grade. Surplus ammo is getting harder to find but there’s still mountains of it to be released by other NATO countries and if that’s not an option, hand load or add an adjustable gas valve and shoot commercial ammo.
One thing you’ll notice is the impact in to range berm. If you shoot in to a dirt or sand berm, the way the stuff flys around compared to a 5.56 is dramatic. Those .30 bullets hit hard!
I shoot a lot of Milsurp rifle competitions and my favorite rifle is a 6.5x55 Swedish Mauser which is no slouch. When shooting steel gongs there is no comparison between it and the 30'06. The larger 30 cals just flat out wallop the steel harder and as much as I like my 6.5's I have to admit they play 2nd fiddle to the others in power.

·
Registered
80 Posts
:ROFLMAO:

Wow, just plain wow.

By definition a clip is used to load a magazine, so the M1 Garand clip is NOT a magazine. The clip, when locked in place, creates the sides and back of the magazine but the stock and receiver complete the magazine and provide the follower and follower spring and the front of the magazine.

·
Registered
15,827 Posts
Well shoot, guess I'll have to post this again. You're going to want more ammo.....

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
56,689 Posts
:ROFLMAO:

Wow, just plain wow.

By definition a clip is used to load a magazine, so the M1 Garand clip is NOT a magazine. The clip, when locked in place, creates the sides and back of the magazine but the stock and receiver complete the magazine and provide the follower and follower spring and the front of the magazine.
The M1 Garand en-bloc clip holds eight .30-06 Springfield cartridges and is designed to be inserted into an internal magazine within the rifle holding the cartridges as a singular unit.

·
Premium Member
8,428 Posts
Is their some doubt about my using the term en block clip or M1 Clip? A simple google search would show that it’s called a clip unlike a magazine in other guns. So many service men were taught to call it a clip that the term was used outside of the M1 erroneously but in the case of the Garand it’s a correct term.

·
Premium Member
8,428 Posts
You can get a nice Garand for about $1200. Chances are it will shoot better than you can and if not it can be made to drive tacks with simple replacement parts. There’s a guy here in NJ who just works on Garands. I keep promising myself a new barrel because mines dark but still very accurate and serviceable.

·
Super Moderator
13,326 Posts
Ahhhh, the old clip/magazine fight! LOL

--Wag--

Reactions: Stamps6

·
Registered
80 Posts
Is their some doubt about my using the term en block clip or M1 Clip? A simple google search would show that it’s called a clip unlike a magazine in other guns. So many service men were taught to call it a clip that the term was used outside of the M1 erroneously but in the case of the Garand it’s a correct term.
No, the enblock is a clip, but it's not a magazine, the clip inserts in to the magazine.

·
Premium Member
8,428 Posts
I never said it was a magazine. As I said, It’s a clip. En block clip to be exact. People refer to to their magazines as clips but they are wrong. “I keep a loaded clip in my 1911” WRONG,
“I keep several loaded clips for my Garand”. CORRECT. “I read what stamps wrote” WRONG. “I glanced over what Stamps wrote” OBVIOUSLY.

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
Well sort of late on this one. :)

The upper rifle is one I built circa '96 and what makes it a little different is the rifle is chambered in 7mm-08 Remington.

The rifle sports NM front and rear sights and several other tricks.

The lower rifle is a standard 30-06 Springfield of Korean War vintage. It has the original GI Birch stock more commonly referred to as the "orange wood" stock. Years ago I did quite a bit of work on the Garands and really enjoy shooting them. Heck, if I could find a receiver or two I have enough parts to likely build a few more. I also have a brand new 25 year old .308 (7.62 NATO) barrel sitting here along with all my old gauges and tools for working on Garands.

The M1 Garand is a little like the 1911 .45 ACP in that they seem to be a love it or hate it with little middle ground gun. :)

Ron

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
I should also add since I saw some reference as to hand loading for the M1 Garand. Some good NRA Master Po load data can be found here. While I agree with this load data I am not fond of using Federal Primers loading for any military rifle or any rifle using a free floating firing pin. I prefer using CCI #34 primers with the lower sensitivity. Additionally load data from the Hornady 9th Edition can be found here for service rifle loading. Personally I am not fond of any powders slower than Varget for gas guns like the M1 Garand or M1A but whatever works for you. Already saw mention of the Shuster Plug so we won't go there. :)

Ron

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Can't go wrong with IMR4895, it was supposedly developed in parallel for the M1 Garand and 4064 is good as well. I always load with those two powders and keep everything at the low end of powder charge window.

·
Registered
15,827 Posts
Can't go wrong with IMR4895, it was supposedly developed in parallel for the M1 Garand and 4064 is good as well. I always load with those two powders and keep everything at the low end of powder charge window.
I use 4064, I forgot the charge off the top of my head but i think it's in the 46-48gr range. Also use 150gr sierra spitzer bullets and cci #34 primers. It was actually the first combo I tried and it worked well so I left it alone.

Reactions: RMLamp and GRBOU812

·
Premium Member
8,428 Posts
What an outstanding looking tool.

·
Premium Member
8,428 Posts
I guess I’ll have to put up some pics of mine. Maybe tomorrow.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I'm drooling for one. Anniston isn't that far away but they disappoint me. They work within govt. restraints. Thank you Obango.

·
Premium Member
8,428 Posts
I just looked up the born date on my Springfield M1 and it was made in April of 1945. I guess it was getting close to the end of the war and probably wasn’t shipped overseas but who knows. War ended on May 8th, 1945. It could have gone to Korea but there’s no way to know. It was a repatriated Korean M1 from their arsenal and brought home by a company out of Virginia called “Blue Sky”. They had great deals back in the mid 80’s. I think I paid $350. For it. The metal was in very good condition and I refinished the wood. I got real good it it and wound up refinishing about 15 of them for a local gun store.
Air gun Trigger Wood Shotgun Gun barrel
Air gun Trigger Wood Shotgun Gun barrel
Air gun Trigger Wood Gun barrel Gun accessory
Wood Natural material Metal Fashion accessory Everyday carry

21 - 40 of 43 Posts