National Gun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A gunsmith and LGS I know, trust… and with whom I’ve done much business in the past is selling a 1956 Springfield Armory M1 Garand.

It’s a service grade from CMP with all SA barrel, bolt, trigger housing and op rod. Has an early RIA stock on it.

i’ve never owned nor shot a Garand… just examined one a time or two.

This sounds like the one for me. I’m about to pay too much but life is too short not to own and shoot one before I die.

I downloaded a PDF of the manual and am starting to read about them online too. I have much to learn!

These videos from Brownells are quite good

·
Premium Member
8,428 Posts
Use extreme caution with this rifle. You’ll become addicted after just one clip! Yes, clip is the correct term for this magazine. EnBlock. Besides the cool factor of the “greatest battle rifle ever devised”, it’s a great rifle to shoot and if you want, compete with, even as a service grade. Surplus ammo is getting harder to find but there’s still mountains of it to be released by other NATO countries and if that’s not an option, hand load or add an adjustable gas valve and shoot commercial ammo.
One thing you’ll notice is the impact in to range berm. If you shoot in to a dirt or sand berm, the way the stuff flys around compared to a 5.56 is dramatic. Those .30 bullets hit hard!

·
Registered
3,272 Posts
Curious how much are they asking for it?
I go on CMP website all the time, not a lot of stock being offered as in the past.
I thought that they just recently in past couple of years got a big stockpile from overseas, does not look like they have been releasing them so much lately.
I have shot this rifle many times and would also love to own one.

·
Super Moderator
13,326 Posts
Definitely do it. If the rifle is in good condition, you won't regret it one bit.

Story that is too long:

Probably about 20 or more years ago, we had a gun store local to where I lived. They always had over a hundred Garands and M1 Carbines and 1911 pistols, all of WWII vintage. Their on site smith used to work them all over and they they'd sell them for, get this, between $400 and $800 for the Garands. I used to go in there and droll but as I wasn't making a whole lot of money at the time and because living expenses in So. CA were so high, I just kept putting it off, and putting it off.

To this day, I regret not buying at least one of those Garands.

Fast forward to about three years ago and I stumble on a FrankenGarand in a local store for $1,600 and said, "Enough is enough," and I bought it. It hurt. It's a great rifle but it's had some refurbish work done on it and it's in great shape. Shoots very well, too.

A month later, my local home-store FFL called me up and said, "Hey, I have a Garand if you want to see it!" I said, "Sure, I'm on my way!" An hour later, after looking the rifle over and a whole lot of chit chat, I drove away with ANOTHER Garand. This one is in excellent condition, looks like it's seen action, all the numbers stamped on the rifle throughout are matching numbers, and it's also a great shooter. Springfield SN indicates it as a 1942 vintage.

So now I have two and very happy about it.

Sometimes, I wish I had a time machine so I could go back to that store and pick up a carbine and 1911. Sadly, such is not to be the case.

--Wag--

·
Premium Member
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Use extreme caution with this rifle. You’ll become addicted after just one clip! Yes, clip is the correct term for this magazine. EnBlock. Besides the cool factor of the “greatest battle rifle ever devised”, it’s a great rifle to shoot and if you want, compete with, even as a service grade. Surplus ammo is getting harder to find but there’s still mountains of it to be released by other NATO countries and if that’s not an option, hand load or add an adjustable gas valve and shoot commercial ammo.
One thing you’ll notice is the impact in to range berm. If you shoot in to a dirt or sand berm, the way the stuff flys around compared to a 5.56 is dramatic. Those .30 bullets hit hard!
Hornady makes an M1 Garand specific ammo I'll be looking for (while I'm also searching for appropriate milsurp)

·
Premium Member
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Woohoo! Great snag at LGS over my lunch hour (don't ask price!) Yikes

Font Auto part Service Rectangle Packaging and labeling

·
Premium Member
8,428 Posts
I bought some from The Castle Arms about a month ago. It was milsurp for the middle East. Just under a $1 a round. In the current climate it seemed reasonable.

·
Registered
3,272 Posts
A gunsmith and LGS I know, trust… and with whom I’ve done much business in the past is selling a 1956 Springfield Armory M1 Garand.

It’s a service grade from CMP with all SA barrel, bolt, trigger housing and op rod. Has an early RIA stock on it.

i’ve never owned nor shot a Garand… just examined one a time or two.

This sounds like the one for me. I’m about to pay too much but life is too short not to own and shoot one before I die.

I downloaded a PDF of the manual and am starting to read about them online too. I have much to learn!

These videos from Brownells are quite good

If you are looking for some of the best manuals on the M1 try Scott Duff Publications. I have a few of his books. Lots and lots of illustrations and easy to follow. Very good stuff.

·
Aim true !
12,724 Posts
I think my dad paid 300.00 for his a long time ago. I should load some ammo for it. Maybe he will want to get it out. And we can shoot it. Were doing Christmas Jan 25th this year to be sure the rona is gone. So maybe a little cold then.

·
Premium Member
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I think my dad paid 300.00 for his a long time ago. I should load some ammo for it. Maybe he will want to get it out. And we can shoot it. Were doing Christmas Jan 25th this year to be sure the rona is gone. So maybe a little cold then.
I just found a bit more M1 Garand-specific 150gr ammo ... (ppu brand) Cost about $1.50 per round once I factored in tax and shipping

·
Registered
15,827 Posts
What Wag said above. If you reload there are lots of proven loads out there that work great and won't damage the gun. I use Sierra 150 bullets and IMR4064 powder and have put around 2k of rounds through mine.

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
56,689 Posts
I'm down to only two M1 Garands.
A Danish import with a six groove barrel. They hoped the two extra grooves would make the rifle more accurate at long ranges. Didn't work.
A Harrington & Richardson, 23rd lowest SN extant, EXACTLY as it left the factory.

·
Premium Member
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
This is a good reason to roll your own. Re-using my brass, I get rounds for around $0.25 to $0.45 each, tops.

--Wag--
Promised my wife and adult kids I wouldn’t reload anymore… my attention to detail is not what it once was. Sold all my reloading equipment dies and accessories just a couple of months ago.

I’m destined to just pay the high prices I suppose.

·
Super Moderator
13,326 Posts
That makes sense, actually.

CMP, if I'm not mistaken, does sell Garand ammo and if you keep poking around, you may find some in an old spam can somewhere. If you burn your incense and say your prayers!

--Wag--

·
Premium Member
640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That makes sense, actually.

CMP, if I'm not mistaken, does sell Garand ammo and if you keep poking around, you may find some in an old spam can somewhere. If you burn your incense and say your prayers!

--Wag--
Thank you… I’ll keep looking around and should probably join the CMP. I have the paperwork printed in my shop… my pistol and rifle club memberships, etc…. Just never filled it out and sent it.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts