National Gun Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Pew Pew
SFx - Elite SC
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to have the quietest ammo possible where I’m at because the Gub’ment wants to make it nearly impossible for people to be nice to their neighbors and run a silencer so I’ve went and bought the Aguila Colibri 590fps ammo which works excellent and is super quiet. Now I’ve found they also make a 420fps and i can get it from Midway USA

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/2506163096

it’s 9 cents a round before shipping, 11 cents a round after. OUCH! Well, that’s what i gotta do. Since I’ve been super pleased with the 590 I’m sure the 420 will be great as well, but wanted to see if anyone has used it??

Attachments

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
53,922 Posts
Do not use the Colibri (420fps) in a long gun. The projectile may not leave the barrel of some rifles. The Super Colibri (950fps) should be okay in long guns. Neither will function properly in a semi automatic firearm.

Reactions: fixitfred

·
Aim true !
10,257 Posts
Air rifle and pistol. Pellets are cheaper.

·
Banned
51 Posts
Do not use the Colibri (420fps) in a long gun. The projectile may not leave the barrel of some rifles. The Super Colibri (950fps) should be okay in long guns. Neither will function properly in a semi automatic firearm.
+1

·
Pew Pew
SFx - Elite SC
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don’t own any long guns. Like i say the 590 is excellent for my purpose, i’d just like to know anyone that has used the 420 or preferably both can give a comparison between the two sound wise.

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
53,922 Posts
I've never used them in a handgun. Both are very quiet. Very quiet. Not much difference between the two when used in a rifle. Since both only use primer powder, the projectile moves slowly and is effective on pigeons for about 20 ft. (from the ground to the eaves of a two story house).

·
Pew Pew
SFx - Elite SC
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
They are 710fps and not at all quiet. In fact they are really loud in comparison. It made my ears ring when i shot them today.

·
Aim true !
10,257 Posts
Are you shooting indoors? I have shot them outside they were pretty quiet.

·
Aim true !
10,257 Posts
Ok only guns i shot indoors is my CO2 pistols. Except my 45 1911. But that's another story.

·
Pew Pew
SFx - Elite SC
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Are you shooting indoors? I have shot them outside they were pretty quiet.
I’ll try and set the scene. We have the main house and we have a second structure built at the same time with the same materials. It has all the structural similarities of the main house, just 1000sq ft and poured concrete floors. It’s all tools and toys. I have a setup that is (3) 3/8 plywood sheets screwed together and has a steel backplate. The shooting distance is typically 15 feet, i have 21 feet to work with comfortably. This 590 ammo I’m using and the 420 I’ve ordered can’t pass the first sheet of plywood and are about as loud as a CO2 pistol. It’s a perfect setup for training without being outside this winter on the back of the property. The CCI is a powder round and is still pretty powerful. The Aguila Colibri is powderless and is not ammo really, it’s just a primer. It manages to move the lead, but really just barely. A CO2 pistol sinks the pellet deeper in the wood than this does just firing off a primer.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts