National Gun Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My older manual says 45Th edition and has a 1970 copyright on it.

Funny, it shows the square tin cans of Hercules "Bullseye" powder on the cover. It still has reloading data in it for the 32 S&W long and other calibers that you don't see much of anymore.

I can imagine how much fun it would be to get your hands on some very early manuals from the early 1900's.

Have any old manuals??

·
Old School.
11,011 Posts
I don't have anything older than about six years as I was late getting into reloading. Sure wish I would have done this 30yrs ago. Winchester should name a factory in my honor for all the ammo I bought off them. :lol:

·
Registered
957 Posts
I have a Winchester-Western from '76 and '78, Lyman 43rd from '64, a Hornady Vol II from '73, and a Speer #8 from '70. They belonged to my Grandfather, I dont use them. They just sit on the shelf next to my current manuals, I couldnt dare throw them away. I do regret not getting involved in shooting/reloading while he was still living.

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
An older friend of mine who was into reloading many yrs ago gave me a pile of manuals and factory load pamphlets from the mid-70s to the late 80s. There was also one manual from (I think) the early 60s.

Foolishly, perhaps, I sold most of my personal older manuals from the 70s (when I started) on ebay a while ago. You saw the pictures of the loading room -- it's way too tight on space for anything I no longer use. The garage is worse. The crawlspace above the ceiling sags. Any more stuff and the fire department will shut me down!

·
Registered
957 Posts
I could add that I also have a few notes of my Grandfather's, written in spiral-bound notebooks and jot pads, which have loads that happen to be the same today.

Another thing. If you have a special load for a perticular gun, by all means, write it down for your family for after your passing. That special load will make the sentimental value of an heirlooom gun that much greater for that grandson/daughter.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts