National Gun Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
This will be my first gun purchase so I really appreciate any help. I am buying to use at the range at my families cabin. I am a huge WWII buff which is why I want the rifle though understand I may wind up buying a later produced model. I will not be displaying the rifle. Onto the questions:

1) The Civilian Marksmanship Program has a great site for selling M1s and I am told they can be trusted. Currently I am thinking of purchasing a service grade M1 Springfield for $625. Sound good? Problems with price, CMP, or grade?

2) Should I be going to gun shows? Will I get a better price? I don't know much so I fear being taken advantage of. If its close in price I would prefer to trust the CMP. (I am in the Philly area)

3) There is so much discussion of the US allowing South Korea to sell 80,000 in the US Market which would surely drive down prices. The Govt. keeps flip flopping on whether it will happen. Should I wait awhile to see if the prices go down? {LINK DELETED PER FORUM RULES.}

Thanks in Advance!

·
Registered
980 Posts
The CMP program is an excellent way to come by an M1 Garand. You will get a good gun going through CMP.

You can also get a good M1 Garand through a gun show or other private sale venues. However, this is where it becomes buyer beware so unless you really know the rifle inside and out I suggest a CMP gun.

These 80,000 rifles may or may not reach US shores. Waiting on and trying to outguess that is a crap shoot.

Just My Take
Ron

·
Low Speed High Drag
399 Posts
You can not go wrong with a CMP Garand.

·
Super Moderator
11,950 Posts
Good questions. The Garand is my next purchase so I'm starting to follow threads like yours with great interest.

Unfortunately, the forum rules require that you have 15 posts before putting links in your posts so in keeping with that, I deleted your link. On the other hand, it seems like a very good link so I'm putting it back right here --> Korea to Begin Broker's Auction of 84,417 M1 Rifles Destined for USA

--Wag--

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good questions. The Garand is my next purchase so I'm starting to follow threads like yours with great interest.

Unfortunately, the forum rules require that you have 15 posts before putting links in your posts so in keeping with that, I deleted your link. On the other hand, it seems like a very good link so I'm putting it back right here --> Korea to Begin Broker's Auction of 84,417 M1 Rifles Destined for USA

--Wag--
I didn't think you Second Amendment guys would be so quick to restrict the First Amendment... :)

Thanks! Do you think service grade is the right grade for me (Hope to shoot it for years, not looking to display or resell.)

·
Registered
568 Posts
Hey. My buddy just got a M1 a week or two ago, and I was doing some diggin for him. He bought it at a pawnshop for 500. I am assuming it was at a time a CMP gun.
With the service grade, they will probably be in similar condition to what we have. Only thing I dislike about the gun is the ammo is so hard to find at reasonable prices. I think CMP would be your best bet, but you have to be part of a CMP affiliated club, and provide proof of marksmanship or something like that.

http://www.nationalgunforum.com/general-gun-discussion/30720-m1-garand.html

·
It's Just My 2¢
5,118 Posts
I didn't think you Second Amendment guys would be so quick to restrict the First Amendment... :)
As an explanation....
The first amendment applies to public venues, such as court house steps and so on.
All forums (that I know of) are private and have a set of rules which may or may not differ.

We have the 15 substantive post rule so that we may control persons who sign in only to do a "drive by spam" post. The problem on some of those links is they lead to bad places which may infect our members computers, if they go there. There are a few other reasons but you hopefully get the drift. After a person has been around long enough to do 15 substantive posts we feel that we can pretty much judge their motives.
What constitutes substantive posts is up to the mods and admin.

·
Registered
980 Posts

Thanks! Do you think service grade is the right grade for me (Hope to shoot it for years, not looking to display or resell.)
A service grade rifle is just fine. You want what we commonly call a shooter, a rifle you take out and shoot. You do not want the rifle as a correct collectable rifle.

Ron

·
Registered
677 Posts
Culver's Shooting pages contain more information than many volumes of books on Garands, M-14's and others....

Culvers Shooting Page Forums

·
Registered
980 Posts
Some additional information for those considering a M1 Garand or M1A rifle is "The U.S. .30 Caliber Gas Operated Service Rifles: A Shop Manual Volumes 1 & 2" Book by Jerry Kuhnhausen. While the link is for Midway the book(s) can be had on Amazon and other places. This was a shop manual I always went to when working on Garands and M1A rifles. Great information on accurizing including bedding the rifles.

Ron

·
Super Moderator
11,950 Posts
Greg addressed this comment quite adequately.

--Wag--

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
I own an m1 I purchased at a gun show several years ago a cmp with papers. I think at the time $550.00 was listed for it I talked him down to $500.00 .So yes gun shows can be an alternate place of purchase at a fair price.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts