National Gun Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
USN
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a Mossberg 590A1 with the tri-rail pump (link will be below) and am looking to put a light on it that fits a few different criteria...

Required:
-Under $100 (for light and mount)
-At least 350 Lumens
-Pressure switch
-Mounts to the side rail on the shotgun

Preferred:
-Takes CR123A or 18650 batteries
-Has a strobe mode

If anyone has any recommendations or experiences, they'd be very welcome!

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog...s_id/4483/Mossberg+590A1+12g+18+7SH+BS+TRI+HB

·
Aim true !
11,817 Posts
I have a Stevens 320 with fiber optic sights for home defense, There is enough ambient light in my house to see them. IMO a light on a gun gives your location away.

·
We’re burning daylight.
153 Posts
I have a Stevens 320 with fiber optic sights for home defense, There is enough ambient light in my house to see them. IMO a light on a gun gives your location away.
I put 'em on ALL my AR's, but I only have ONE pistol with a light... and it's NOT my night stand gun (go figure?). I've THOUGHT about using the Benelli Tac-light forend for my M1 Super90 Tactical... but the shotgun is NOT my first line of home defense, and the forend alone runs $200+, which has further dissuaded me to date.

If you have kids in the house... and I DO (4!)... I recommend a light on ANY primary long arm. And If I hadn't been shooting pistols WITHOUT them all my life, I might be more amenable to that newer-fangled development of railed handguns with lights. I have a 3 story house with a full basement - I have a LOT of acreage to clear in stairwells, so I like a light for this very reason. YMMV.

·
Registered
6,676 Posts
only weapon light i have ever owned was a Streamlight.....

experiences were good, function was good, durability excellent........it is above your hundred dollar ceiling.......more like around 150 with the pressure switch

midwayusa is a good source.

·
Registered
3,458 Posts
I have 2 watt nightlights scattered around, plenty of light in the dark of night. I can see them, but they can't see me, just how I like it.
I agree. Since the Shotgun in the original post is described as a "Home Defense Shotgun" you have the home field advantage. You know the way(s) someone will most likely enter your home but they have no idea where you may be hiding. A light will give your location away.

·
Grand Imperial Poobah
24,322 Posts
As Coalcracker stated a light gives away your location and tells the criminal exactly where you are before you know where he/she is. I rather have a dog. Turn the dog loose and the criminal is suddenly pre-occupied and worried about getting bit, than where the homeowner is with a 12 gauge in his/her hands.

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
I always get a chuckle out of the light or no light on guns debate. The fact of the matter is, just because there is a light available, does not mean it must be used. There are situations where a light is helpful and situations where a light is detrimental. I prefer to have it and choose, rather than not have it and want.

Reactions: Big Jake
1 - 8 of 8 Posts