National Gun Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,
I'm getting married in a few months and want to get my fiancé a cool wedding gift. He likes guns. He shoots targets, skeet, hunts, and carries one concealed everyday. I'd like to get him something special, he mentioned something over a year ago about his dream gun being something along the lines of nickel plated and pearl handled. This surprises me because he's not much a fancy boy. He carries a beat up .380. Has an old New Orleans P.D. Issued revolver that his grandfather carried and another old shot gun from him. Both of these guns have flooded twice in hurricanes and he has restored them best he could. His riffles are on the modest side as well. I don't remember a maker or even a caliber that he mentioned. Any ideas? My price range is under $1,000. Something nice enough, fun to shoot once or twice, but really more sentimental or sexy to carry if he ever has to dress up. All suggestions are welcomed! Thanks

·
Registered
6,701 Posts
a gift certificate to your local/nearest gun shop would be my suggestion............

Reactions: DPM

·
Crazy Cat Lady
1,497 Posts
Oh my goodness, men. :rolleyes5:

Something tells me she's looking for an item a bit more personal and special than that.

Not that I'm of any help with that or anything...

·
Registered
9,127 Posts
What they are suggesting above is that you really cannot buy a gun for someone. The fit of the gun is too important. I would recommend a date night scenario and suggest he take you to a gun store. Do the whole shopping thing with you listening and playing along. Ask him what kind of guns he likes and such. Let him be helping you. at one point you can tell you are buying him a gun. After you have figured out what he really wants. Because I have a feeling that though he said he wants a pearly handled High chromed model that once he really get's into it. He will choose quite different.

Or you can just buy him the Gift Certificate.

·
Grand Imperial Poobah
29,456 Posts
What state do you live in???? There are "free" states which allow nearly all guns, then there are "communist" states that have restrictions and bans.

What you are told is correct, you can't purchase a firearm for someone else. However (depending on which state you reside) you can buy it for yourself and when the two of you say "I do" legally he becomes a shared owner of the firearm. At that point, he has a legal right to possess and carry whatever you purchase. The term is "marital property".

Buying a firearm for someone else is problematic at best. Personally, I don't think you can go wrong with a 1911. Something like ......

Remington 1911 Pistol .45ACP 5-inch 7rd Black Walnut 2 Magazines Online Gun Store
Firearm Gun Trigger Gun barrel Gun accessory

Remington 1911 Pistol .45ACP 5 7rd Stainless Walnut 2 Magazines Online Gun Store

Firearm Gun Trigger Gun barrel Brown

Just my 2¢. BTW, Congratulations on getting married! Black Yellow Night Macro photography

·
Registered
303 Posts
If you get him his dream gun, and it is really his dream gun, his dream is over and he might not enjoy it. I have seen it happen with a car and a gun to two different people. You be the judge as everyone is different.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
What state do you live in???? There are "free" states which allow nearly all guns, then there are "communist" states that have restrictions and bans.

What you are told is correct, you can't purchase a firearm for someone else. However (depending on which state you reside) you can buy it for yourself and when the two of you say "I do" legally he becomes a shared owner of the firearm. At that point, he has a legal right to possess and carry whatever you purchase. The term is "marital property".

Buying a firearm for someone else is problematic at best. Personally, I don't think you can go wrong with a 1911. Something like ......

Just my 2¢. BTW, Congratulations on getting married! View attachment 12652
To the OP:
This may be the case in your state. If so, you could go through the motions, work a deal with a local gun shop to provide him with a Gift Certificate for a particular gun of the style he favors. Then go together to finalize and pick up the pistol. That will get you past any legal issues.

Reactions: sargedog

·
Registered
318 Posts
Yeah, I'm gonna echo what a lot of people are saying. Unless you can get him to tell you what his dream gun is casually without him figuring out what you're doing, it's best to get him a gift card. Guns can't be returned, and there's nothing worse than getting a gun you didn't want that you can't ever get rid of because it's sentimental.

And if you can, buy the gift certificate for some place that isn't going to gouge him. My wife got me a gift card to Bass Pro one year and I couldn't believe they were selling $550 Glocks for $700... I'd definitely go with a locally owned store if possible.

·
RELOAD=More PEW PEW
12,521 Posts
i would go for a 1911 too :thumbsup: i think any guy would love to receive one as a gift

Edit : Under or close to 1K this comes to mind

Reactions: gunzilla

·
Registered
3,355 Posts
Gift certificate , safe bet ... a little impersonal , but safe . you really need to get him to spill the beans about what he likes .. barring that , well ... i think it would be hard for any man to turn down a .45 auto.

·
Registered
1,501 Posts
Well ma'am, I have a 1911 myself, and I must say, it's pretty damn sweet! I hear good things about the Remington R1 1911, my boss owns and carries one. He says it's solid then I'm inclined to take his word for it.
The R1 Enhanced is one you might look for, classy with a modern touch, and is right around $1k, trust me, he will not only appreciate it, but he'll be bragging to his friends about how his wife is better than all of their wives ;) And if you manage to get it in stainless it'll be about shiny, and you can get pearl grip panels for it as well later on :D Nothing wrong with that in my mind!

My wife got me a gun when we were just first dating, a Mossberg Maverick 88 12 gauge pump action shotgun. Cost $198 including 2 boxes of shells. I have it in my lap right now actually, just about to take care of some "opossum problems" lol. I use it all the time. More or less what I'm trying to say is regardless of what you get him he's gonna like it, he better after all, it's coming from his wife lol.

Check out the stuff Sig Sauer makes. It's truly amazing. I have one of their AR style rifles, it's so awesome! Thinking I might pick up one of their pistols sometime in the not too distant future too. Pretty hard to beat Sig Sauer. You mentioned his carry gun is a little beat up, check out the Sig P238, P224, and P290, they'd all make excellent carry guns. And trust me, if he's into guns he's more than likely aware of just how epic Sig Sauer is. They come in a variety of finishes, I like the Equinox finish personally. A little shiny, a little dark, sweet grips...just plain hot. You CANNOT go wrong with Sig.

Well I hope I helped you, we all hope you hang around and let us know what you wind up getting and how it goes too!
And if you aren't into guns yourself, it's never too late to learn and this is a fine place to do that :D

[Edit:] Look at the P938 too! Hell you should look at them all LOL!

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Congratulations Lindsey on tying the knot with your man. How about a waterproof gun safe for all his future purchases. Stack-On promotes waterproof safes for around 1K delivered.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.