National Gun Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive been shooting since i was young, I like the feel of the 9m glocks and barettas. I wana go more that route versus a 1911 or revolver. Any suggestions? maybe something foreign? Not sure what they go for, dont wana spend more than around 700.

Thanks

·
Registered
70 Posts
Ive been shooting since i was young, I like the feel of the 9m glocks and barettas. I wana go more that route versus a 1911 or revolver. Any suggestions? maybe something foreign? Not sure what they go for, dont wana spend more than around 700.

Thanks
I would suggest a hard look at the SIG SP2022. It's very well designed and built, and as reliable as all SIGs. Having an all polymer frame with steel rail insert, it's light, and comes in both 9mm and .40 S&W. Weighs in around 29 ounces. It has a very short double-action pull that is smooth, hammer drop safety that is the best ever designed, and is very reasonably priced. As for caliber...simply put, the .40 outpaces the 9mm ballistically in every way, but the 9mm offers more shots for those who live in States where standard cap magazines are allowed. My preference is the .40 for the above mentioned reason...regardless of the ongoing BS put out by the politically driven FBI. It has a FULLY supported chamber which means no worries about maximum pressure loads in .40 S&W.

Naturally this means also look at the SIG P320 if you live in a State where you can buy it. It's the "ultimate" polymer design using a completely removable, steel fire control group. This allows one to swap out the entire polymer grip "frame unit" which can be purchased online for around $40. One can also swap out the entire top end....going from full size to compact, from 9mm to .40, and the prices for these conversions are overpriced, though with the base price of the P320 I'd probably just buy another in other configurations! The P320 has DA/SA, and DAO trigger options, and before I examined them I was bit leery of the Army adopting it over the Glock, but now I understand their thinking. The SIG offers the safer trigger, with all sorts of ways to customize the entire pistol. Glock's are really better suited for "operators" who never lose track of the status of their handgun.

I would also suggest a look at the S&W M&P series - primarily the compact model in either 9mm or .40 S&W. Again, being of all polymer frame, they are light, compact, and reasonably priced. They are also backed up by a company committed to service - not that you'll ever need it. Being around 10 ounces lighter than the SIG I might suggest going 9mm for reduced recoil and the one additional shot. Being a slim frame capacity is less than 10 rounds.

Of course Glock still makes the G19 and G23 - both "compact" models in 9mm and .40 S&W respectively. You really can't go wrong with a Glock though these days they have gotten a bit pricey. The only downside is that when chambered, a Glock is "live"....with only 5.5 lb. of trigger force needed to get it to rock. Yes it has internal safeties that work, so it's not the gun's fault, it's the fact that HUMANS have a really bad habit of drawing pistols with their finger on the trigger and under stress, 5.5 lb. is basically a "hair trigger." The G19 is light - around 20 ounces yet has a very high grip so recoil is quite manageable...same with the G23 in .40. While they have gotten better, factory Glock barrels have the feed ramp cut into the chamber area which leaves a portion of the case head unsupported. Used to be the unsupported area could be quite large, but in recent models it seems Glock is holding the unsupported area to a minimum...but it's still there. Even aftermarket barrels can arrive with the ramp cut into the chamber area. I happen to have a Lone Wolf .460 Rowland barrel that is actually FULLY supported, but this won't be the case with a factory unit. When firing factory loads this won't be a problem, but hand loaders and those who like to shop in the Underwood Ammo lane might need to be cautious.

BTW, with any of these pistols you can buy the .40 S&W version and by simply swapping in a 9mm barrel, fire BOTH calibers from the same pistol. The difference between the .40 S&W and 9mm rim is .030" or .015" radius, which equates to a hair under .4mm! That's less than 1/2 of one millimeter, meaning the extractor will grab the case just fine!

As for the CZ-75...well, what's not to like about it? Weight, that's what. When thinking of a carry gun, the all steel CZ-75 is a serious hunk to carry around. But it's built bank-vault solid, and while DA/SA, it can be carried "cocked and locked" with a round chambered. This is good because it has a long, rather heavy DA trigger pull that seriously detracts from it's very nice SA pull when starting from "cocked and locked." If I were thinking CZ, I'd opt again for the .40 S&W because it can handle the hottest loads with ease, and the .40 S&W is easily capable of producing kinetic energy up to the lower range of the 10mm! In both 9mm and .40 S&W the barrel has a FULLY supported chamber. I do have one "knock" against the CZ-75B...it comes with a polymer guide rod and flat recoil spring. This makes the guide rod super narrow. I uprated my recoil spring to a 22# Wolf round wire that left the thin, polymer guide rod unsupported and it twisted and warped shooting hand loads pushing 600 lb-ft of kinetic energy. CZ does sell a steel guide rod but it suffers the same issue of being slender with an even more slender forward section. So...knowing I would NEVER go back to the OEM spring, I started with a Grade 8 hardened steel bolt and machined it into a .25" diameter guide rod that perfectly fits inside the Wolf spring. I then enlarged the tiny hole in the nose of the slide and now have a monster recoil guide rod and spring that absolutely contribute to keeping the slide moving straight and the pistol functions perfectly! Of course this matters not if you stay with the factory profile recoil spring.

Of the above-mentioned handguns, the CZ is the most expensive...but it's nice having a former "Combloc" handgun that was absolutely unobtainable before 1990! There are of course polymer frame version out now that are worth a look.

Oh, then there is Springfield Armory's XD series. Actually superior to the Glock in ergonomics and trigger (this because it's striker if FULLY cocked when chambered), but it does have both internal and external safeties to hep counter a negligent discharge. XD's are also reasonably priced and come in full size, compact, and "tactical" models. They weigh in about the same as the SIG line.

Hopefully this gives you some options to think about.

·
Registered
5,827 Posts
if you like the Beretta.......several places are selling the surplus Beretta 92s model.....anywhere from $280 up.......
plenty of glock trade-ins as well.

personally, i'd go with a Sig 2022......if i craved plastic and lighter weight.. .

for all steel.......the cz85......i like the ambi controls..

·
"You talkin to me?"
4,145 Posts
Full size gun? Compact? Sub-compact? Pocket sized?

For service? Concealed carry? Home defense? Hunting? Field use?
plinking?? placing it in a case for admiring?, conversation piece?

seriously, get the one that feels right in your hand, shoot it, and consider the recoil, how it feel when shooting it, ease of operation and ammo supply,

·
Registered
3,459 Posts
I love the Springfield XD series. Anything by Sig will be good. The CZ 75 is a great choice. The FNX is a great pistol. I have one in .40 and .45 and have shot the 9mm version. Great gun.

Only thing I can say good about Glock is it is a good thing I don't own one but that is just my opinion. There are millions of happy Glock owners. They can't all be wrong and me right but I don't trust Glock so not owning one is the right choice for me.

·
Registered
6,403 Posts
There are millions of happy Glock owners. They can't all be wrong and me right but I don't trust Glock so not owning one is the right choice for me.
Actually they can all be wrong and you right. In this case, they are, and you are. Not owning a Glock is the right choice for everyone, whether they know it or not.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I like Glock. I have model 22. It's great. Nice triggers, trigger safety an internal safety. An they shoot good. All around good guns.

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Smith and Wesson 500, see how OPINION VARIES go to an indoor range rent a few of those your interested in and try them out fit, feel, recoil make a educated decision from the education you receive not an OPINION of folks in a forum. Educating yourself may cost say $100 dollars but a .50 AE in a beginners hands might cost a life. Just me my .02 cents worth for what it is.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts