National Gun Forum banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Wait how can they be accidentally touched off? Do you mean when people carry with all six chambers loaded? I have to admit I've never heard of one of them accidentally going off without human intent.

Hmmmm I guess I'll just have to get the Raging Bull & S333 Thunderstruck as nothing more than novelty guns then. I mean I've seen and researched those two the most out of any other guns but if they are that bad for SD then I'm really not sure I want them for that except for in the extreme case that I have no choice but use them for HD.

I've already looked the Blackhawk & Redhawk and would have to go with the Redhawk out of those two. Ive already got a Colt Single Action clone for OC and a M&P Bodyguard DAO for CC. So adding a revolver with the option of firing in both single & double action to my SD kit sounds like a much better option out of the three I've been thinking of.
Most modern revolvers have a transfer bar and won’t go off even if you drop it on the hammer. I don’t think anyone is actually saying don’t buy a Raging Bull, just helping set expectations. The reference to novelty gun is the incorporation of the .410 chamber.

A standard Raging Bull chambered in 454 Casull will shoot a 45 Colt just fine. The difference as I said was negligible. We are talking 2.5mm difference in case length. Both bullets are .452 despite the .454 name. It’s literally like shooting 44 special in a 44 mag or a 38 in a .357. The “issues” are chambering for .410. It changes the chamber substantially. All I’m saying is, I’d opt for 454 instead of 454/410, so you can still shoot 45 Colt and 454 casull without drawbacks.

·
Registered
475 Posts
Yeah that Korth is way out of my price range sadly. And if I'm being honest if I was going to spend that kind of money I'd spend it to have some custom work done on my single action. And now that I think about it real quick does anyone here know how to get the metal part of my single action revolvers grip turned from black to bronze?

View attachment 115602

I've seen it done on old cap & ball revolvers before but I don't know what it's called.
It's called...bronze. The cap and ball revolvers to which you refer have bronze grip frames. Yours appears to be blued steel. You could conceivably have yours plated.

Bronze Plating Process

·
Registered
2,844 Posts
Multipurpose is a great approach.

The beauty of 454 Casull is that it does that and 45 Colt.
The tradeoff of the Taurus is a 5 shot versus a 6 shot Ruger. But if you can do 410 in the Taurus that is an option with more flexibility.

There is a 7 shot Ruger 357 Magnum. The beauty of Ruger is being able to shoot hotter loads of cartridges.

Ruger doesn’t have a built in lock. Taurus does.

I have never had issues with any brand.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
8 shot 357 and I might own one soon.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Most modern revolvers have a transfer bar and won’t go off even if you drop it on the hammer. I don’t think anyone is actually saying don’t buy a Raging Bull, just helping set expectations. The reference to novelty gun is the incorporation of the .410 chamber.

A standard Raging Bull chambered in 454 Casull will shoot a 45 Colt just fine. The difference as I said was negligible. We are talking 2.5mm difference in case length. Both bullets are .452 despite the .454 name. It’s literally like shooting 44 special in a 44 mag or a 38 in a .357. The “issues” are chambering for .410. It changes the chamber substantially. All I’m saying is, I’d opt for 454 instead of 454/410, so you can still shoot 45 Colt and 454 casull without drawbacks.
Oh yes the transfer bar. I honestly didn't like the thought of getting a single action especially a colt replica with a safty mechanism installed. That's why I carry it with 5 loads instead of a full six.

Well now I just have to do some serious thinking & research, see if the novelty benefits of the guns I'm considering are enough of a benefit to outweigh the drawbacks.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Oh yes the transfer bar. I honestly didn't like the thought of getting a single action especially a colt replica with a safty mechanism installed. That's why I carry it with 5 loads instead of a full six.

Well now I just have to do some serious thinking & research, see if the novelty benefits of the guns I'm considering are enough of a benefit to outweigh the drawbacks.
I have 4 Ruger SA Bisleys. Thousands of rounds through them. You don’t even notice it’s there. It’s not like a hammer lock that can inadvertently lock. The trigger raises the transfer bar. If you aren’t pulling the trigger, the hammer can’t hit the firing pin. Most revolvers are going to this if they haven’t already due to lawsuits over drop fires. S&W, Ruger, Taurus, SA and DA, they all use them now. There are a few SA replicas that still have the firing pin on the hammer but most don’t.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I have 4 Ruger SA Bisleys. Thousands of rounds through them. You don’t even notice it’s there. It’s not like a hammer lock that can inadvertently lock. The trigger raises the transfer bar. If you aren’t pulling the trigger, the hammer can’t hit the firing pin. Most revolvers are going to this if they haven’t already due to lawsuits over drop fires. S&W, Ruger, Taurus, SA and DA, they all use them now. There are a few SA replicas that still have the firing pin on the hammer but most don’t.
I'm lucky enough to own two SA that don't have the transfer bar. For me my whole exsperance with manual safeties has just been tainted by auto-loaders.

We own a few of them and everyone of them has had some kind of malfunction at the range at least once. With my revolvers you just aim, pull back the hammer and pull the trigger, no muss, no fuss. With our auto-loaders, i have to worry about failure to fire, or feed, or a stove pipe, or is the ammunition going to cycle the slide properly.

And these are all brand new of you can believe it. I have to admit I'll give the safety bar a chance but if my life is ever on the line I'm taking my single actions for a spin.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I'm lucky enough to own two SA that don't have the transfer bar. For me my whole exsperance with manual safeties has just been tainted by auto-loaders.

We own a few of them and everyone of them has had some kind of malfunction at the range at least once. With my revolvers you just aim, pull back the hammer and pull the trigger, no muss, no fuss. With our auto-loaders, i have to worry about failure to fire, or feed, or a stove pipe, or is the ammunition going to cycle the slide properly.

And these are all brand new of you can believe it. I have to admit I'll give the safety bar a chance but if my life is ever on the line I'm taking my single actions for a spin.
Don't worry about the transfer bar, it is very reliable. I have three Rugers right now with them. Thaey are every bit as reliable as all my SAs that don't have one.
There are revolvers that have other types of safeties that I don't like either.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
5,076 Posts
I believe the transfer bar is a Ruger innovation.
Coal, Thats a beauty of a SixGun! I want that barrel length but in .45 Colt. They haven’t been making them in .45 only .44 and those less desirable calibers. Lol.

·
Aim true !
9,489 Posts
I haven't shot any full power 10mm loads in it. I stopped loading 10mm at the upper end. I wear out the cases slower that way. I did have to put rubber grips on it to shoot mild 10mm loads. I was banging my finger on the trigger guard. I do have some full powder xtp loads for the woods. I'll run a few and a few in my 10mm 1911 for comparison.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
The 10mm Armscor only had 15ft lbs more energy than the federal bulk pack 40 S&W I already had. There’s a big spectrum of power in 10mm

·
Aim true !
9,489 Posts
Yeah the 10mm rock. I was putting BHN 18 cast through 6 2x8 or x6 planks. They are fun through my 10mm carbine too.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
I wonder don't they have a specific revolver that shoots 10mm? I can't remember it's name off the top of my head but I thought for sure that there was one.

·
Aim true !
9,489 Posts
Post 27 is my 10mm revolver. It also comes with a 40sw cylender.

21 - 40 of 42 Posts