National Gun Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have my eye on two specific revolvers but I'd like to hear others opinions on the guns in question.

The first gun I was interested in getting was a Taurus Raging Bull thanks to its ability to shoot 410 shotgun shells as well as 45LC (which I have) and 454 Casull. It has some awesome versatility plus handheld shotgun.

I was then told by some well read individuals to look into buying a Ruger Redhawk. Upon looking into it I suppose it could work.

And finally while I have a nice S&W M&P Bodyguard for CC I really would like to get an S333 Thunderstruck so I can have a real pocket pistol.

·
Aim true !
9,489 Posts
S333 Thunderstruck gimmick gun. I have a SW MP 380 EZ love it. I have Taurus revolver SW and Rugers. I like the SW and Rugers the most as far as quality.

·
Registered
155 Posts
If i'm being honest I already have one for CC, and OC so I guess I'd like to start collecting but I still want them to be useful.
Multipurpose is a great approach.

The beauty of 454 Casull is that it does that and 45 Colt.
The tradeoff of the Taurus is a 5 shot versus a 6 shot Ruger. But if you can do 410 in the Taurus that is an option with more flexibility.

There is a 7 shot Ruger 357 Magnum. The beauty of Ruger is being able to shoot hotter loads of cartridges.

Ruger doesn’t have a built in lock. Taurus does.

I have never had issues with any brand.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
1,669 Posts
Well I will, tell you what most wont
In the meantime, Smith & Wesson had been purchased by a conglomerate named Bangor Punta. In 1970, Bangor Punta also purchased 54% of Taurus. Thus, the two companies became "sisters". Smith & Wesson never owned Taurus. They were both independent companies. However, during the next seven years, a great deal of technology and methodology was passed between the two. What may come as a surprise to some is that more of what was "right" in Porto Alegre was sent to Springfield than was sent from Springfield to south of the equator.
1977 saw our present ownership buy 54% of Taurus outright from Bangor Punta. At once a quest to improve overall quality of Taurus product was initiated. Also, the company now began a dynamic expansion program.

The information was traded between Smith & Wesson and Taurus across the board for 7 years

·
Super Moderator
5,597 Posts
Either one will fit the bill then. I'm not fond of the taurus judge type firearms though I have a good friend who loves them. He carries one for self defense. I joke with him from time to time bout it :) Though for collecting sure its a good firearm for collecting same with the S333.

I myself would like to get the S333 too long with one of those credit card sized firearms. Not to carry for self defense just for collecting. These are surely different firearms, which is I like bout them.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
How often do you plan on shooting it? I ask because the bullet jump in a 454 Casull and a 45 Colt is negligible, but a bullet jump between a 45 Colt and something chambered in .410 is an inch or more. That’s an inch or more of slop. Something to consider.

I have a 4” derringer chambered in 45/410 and cleaning the leading out is a pita. I’d consider anything chambered in .410 to be a novelty unless you primarily shoot 410 buck from it, then accuracy isn’t an issue. On the surface 45/454/410 sounds versatile, and it is, but there is a trade off for having sloppy chamberings. Not saying I wouldn’t own one (obviously I do) Just my opinion.

If I had the option of just 45, I’d have bought it instead of a combo 45/410 chamber.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How often do you plan on shooting it? I ask because the bullet jump in a 454 Casull and a 45 Colt is negligible, but a bullet jump between a 45 Colt and something chambered in .410 is an inch or more. That’s an inch or more of slop. Something to consider.

I have a 4” derringer chambered in 45/410 and cleaning the leading out is a pita. I’d consider anything chambered in .410 to be a novelty unless you primarily shoot 410 buck from it, then accuracy isn’t an issue. On the surface 45/454/410 sounds versatile, and it is, but there is a trade off for having sloppy chamberings. Not saying I wouldn’t own one (obviously I do) Just my opinion.

If I had the option of just 45, I’d have bought it instead of a combo 45/410 chamber.
  • Well thanks to the pandemic we really aren't going out anywhere anytime soon but once this all clears up I'm hoping to get back out to the range and get back to practicing. For me the Raging Bull has a lot of features that are appealing like the ability to chamber the 45LC which I use in my OC revolver as well as handling the 454 & 410. I would have to buy 454 & 410 but i wouldn't feel to bad for burning the money of its worth it. Ok it's late and time for bed. I'll see you all tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
Something to be aware of as well, shooting shot loads out of a rifled barrel will cause the shot to spread really quickly. There are a few videos out there that compare the spread between a smooth bore and a rifled bore. You need to be really close to your target for effective use, not to mention hitting unintended targets. Centrifugal force is working against you. Here is an example

·
Registered
475 Posts
Revolvers that fire 45 Colt and .410 are an abomination resulting from regulatory anomalies in Brazil confounded by those in the US. They are neither fish not fowl, shooting 45 Colt poorly for the size of the gun and 410 poorly given its limited payload to start with.

The .410 revolver originates in Brazil where severe firearms restrictions make a smoothbore 410 revolver one of the few options available and the high incidence of car jackings makes them useful. At 3-5 feet, even the limited payload of a 410 delivered into a jacker's face is an effective load. Thus, the .410 revolver, born out of firearms restrictions in Brazil may have made sense, especially in an anti-car jacking role.

Fast forward. Taurus decided to bring the monstrous .410 revolver to the US. Due to the US regulatory regime, it may not be smoothbore. So, now we have a revolver firing shot down a rifled barrel. Doing so spins shot cups and wads, leading to a centrifugal dispersion of the shot pattern creating donut hole patterns. The larger the shot, the less in the payload, and the bigger the hole. But, the rifled barrel may be good for 45 Colt! Except for the large gap between the Colt case and the forcing cone. And the fact that to diminish the negative impact on shot patterns, the rifling is quite shallow... So, this very large revolver doesn't shoot 45 Colt all that well and may have trouble stabilizing very heavy bullets given the shallow rifling. But...snakes! It's great for snakes. Really, why is it better for snakes than a 45 Colt revolver with a shot cup? Is one hunting snakes at say the 10-12 yards that a No.9 shot .410 shell will pattern decently? Then yes, it is better than 45 Colt shot shell which makes out to about 10-12 feet for a decent pattern. And car jackers. Though, 45 Colt also excels at car jacking distances...

So, what have we: a firearm designed to work around restrictions in Brazil and then redesigned in a way that diminishes its already limited effectiveness to meet US restrictions, with the added bonus of shooting the 45 Colt poorly. And it's huge.

The Ruger Super Redhawk in 45Colt/454 Casull is widely available in the Alaskan motif, with a 2.5" barrel. I assure you that you will not be shooting many 454 Casull loads from it. There are longer barrel earlier iterations around for hunting. They are very large and heavy. You still won't be shooting many 454 Casull loads from them.

The Ruger Blackhawk is however a rather fetching single action revolver available in several barrel lengths. It shoots the 45 Colt, but is a remarkably strong design. It will take 45 Colt +P ammunition and load books offer data "for Ruger Only Loads" with 300+ grs bullets and the likes of H110 powder that get you as close to 454 Casull loads as you are likely to want much of. That is a revolver that bears some looking into.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Never. Too much can go wrong since you can accidentally touch it off. I only shoot in double action with all of my revolvers.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
Wait how can they be accidentally touched off? Do you mean when people carry with all six chambers loaded? I have to admit I've never heard of one of them accidentally going off without human intent.

Hmmmm I guess I'll just have to get the Raging Bull & S333 Thunderstruck as nothing more than novelty guns then. I mean I've seen and researched those two the most out of any other guns but if they are that bad for SD then I'm really not sure I want them for that except for in the extreme case that I have no choice but use them for HD.

I've already looked the Blackhawk & Redhawk and would have to go with the Redhawk out of those two. Ive already got a Colt Single Action clone for OC and a M&P Bodyguard DAO for CC. So adding a revolver with the option of firing in both single & double action to my SD kit sounds like a much better option out of the three I've been thinking of.

·
Registered
2,844 Posts
I am a gun brand snob. I talked to a guy at work yesterday and he told me about his new gun. Some off brand I never heard of. He knew I was a snob and he prefaced his announcement and said you probably won't want to hear this but... He bought a new gun and was happy. As long as he takes it out and shoots it and it functions and he's happy it's all good.

Disclaimer: I have many opinions. If you get your feelings hurt easily and takes things personnal do not read past this point.
I think Taurus is an inferior brand. I don't see myself ever owning one. Now that I got that off my chest. I thought the Judge was the 45 model that shot 410 shotshells. I think the Raging bull cannot shoot standard 410 shotshells.

·
Registered
1,258 Posts
I thought the same thing with the judge/ raging bull but kept my mouth shut in case I was wrong and one existed...

·
Registered
5,895 Posts
The Gunslinger777
"If i'm being honest I already have one for CC, and OC so I guess I'd like to start collecting but I still want them to be useful".

May as well shoot for the moon.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I have several Blackhawks and Vaqueros. I do sometimes carry them for SD. Mostly walking the dog at night in the country. But I shoot them very well. Unless they are what you shoot way better than anything else, I personally don't recomend them for SD. But I am willing to be hurt to make sure each shot counts. And by some accounts, slightly crazy with a death wish. Carry what you are most comfortable carrying that you shoot well with under stress. For most, that would not be a SA revolver.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
422 Posts
The Gunslinger777
"If i'm being honest I already have one for CC, and OC so I guess I'd like to start collecting but I still want them to be useful".

May as well shoot for the moon.
I have a good friend that has owned and swear by Korth. Unless I win the lottery, that ain't going to happen.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah that Korth is way out of my price range sadly. And if I'm being honest if I was going to spend that kind of money I'd spend it to have some custom work done on my single action. And now that I think about it real quick does anyone here know how to get the metal part of my single action revolvers grip turned from black to bronze?

JPEG_20200504_172356.jpg

I've seen it done on old cap & ball revolvers before but I don't know what it's called.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts