National Gun Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hope this is a good place to post this thread
Well, I live live in the great state on Connecticut that has saved us all! haha! I'm looking for a rifle that Cabelas or Hoffmans (Large local gun shop) would carry. I want a rifle that would be good for hunting and target/ "fun shooting" that takes relatively cheap ammo around the lines of a 30 caliber for size reference. I dont want to spend more than $300 but $400 is the most I will spend.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
A Mosin Nagant might be a good choice. They're usually under $200, great shooters, and fire a 7.62x54R cartridge. Ammo can usually be had at 20 cents to 50 cents a round.

·
Registered
282 Posts
What he said. Your a few hundred shy of most other rifles, Mosin would probably be your best bet.

Your going to hate me, but see if they have any Tikka's at your cabelas.... I dare you to slide the bolt :)

·
Registered
6,403 Posts
For hunting and target shooting, which you mentioned as your rifle's intended mission, the Mosin may not be the best way to go. Remington, Ruger, Savage, Weatherby, Mossberg - all the big arms makers - offer entry-level bolt action magazine fed rifles in .308 -very often including a factory mounted, variable scope for under $400. These entry-level rifles won't have highly figured walnut stocks or jeweled bolts or gold-plated triggers, but they will all deliver astounding accuracy (expect sub-MOA groups), reliability and durability. The .308 chambering is supremely versatile, and adequate for every critter in the hemisphere except Sasquatch. Enjoy.

·
Guns Gear & Freedom
288 Posts
Stay as far away from the Remington Model 770 as you can throw it. That is sound advice from a guy who knows. You would probably have pretty good luck with a Savage brand rifle.

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
55,163 Posts
Ditto on the Remington Model 770.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I never really liked the look of those rifles. I want more of a newer look.
You have some hard choice's to make. In my opinion for such little money you won't be able to get anything worth buying, least not new and from Cabela's.

Your choice's are Mossin @ 169.99 No scope included
Ruger American Rifle @ $379.99 No Scope Included
Weatherby Vangaurd 2 Deer skulls @ $399
Savage Axis gen 1 @399.99 with a crap scope
Or a R700 ADL @$439.99 with a cheap scope

Only the mossin has iron sights. None of the other rifles do. Optic's will be needed. Do you have a scope are do you need one?

If you can raise your cap to around 500-600 the world really opens up as far as rifles go. So really great stuff for bout $550 + optic's.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Not to mention that the price of the "put it in and it goes off" FMJ .308 will run you at least $1 every time you pull the trigger. The "premium" hunting rounds can run about $1.50 - 2.00 a pop. In about 200-300 shots, you'll have shot away the money that was spent on the rifle.

I suggest that you invest an extra $200 or so and step up a class. Firearms are one of the few things left where "you get what you pay for".

·
Registered
6,403 Posts
Mears is right - if you buy ammo from the boutique companies like Remington, Federal, Hornady and Winchester. I don't know why, but these ammo makers think that the rounds that cost them pennies to make should be sold for many times their cost. You can get fully serviceable practice, defense, and even hunting ammo for far less from foreign manufacturers. Enjoy.

it will be a cold day down there before anybody sells me ammo for a buck a round. Do I have "stupid" tattooed on my forehead? In their dreams.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You have some hard choice's to make. In my opinion for such little money you won't be able to get anything worth buying, least not new and from Cabela's.

Your choice's are Mossin @ 169.99 No scope included
Ruger American Rifle @ $379.99 No Scope Included
Weatherby Vangaurd 2 Deer skulls @ $399
Savage Axis gen 1 @399.99 with a crap scope
Or a R700 ADL @$439.99 with a cheap scope

Only the mossin has iron sights. None of the other rifles do. Optic's will be needed. Do you have a scope are do you need one?

If you can raise your cap to around 500-600 the world really opens up as far as rifles go. So really great stuff for bout $550 + optic's.
My last trip to Cabelas, They had about 40 Mossin Nagants for 120. How much would I be looking at for a scope with assembly?

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Saw a guy buy up 4 or 5 Turkish WW2 Mausers the other day for about $65 a pop. Ugly, ugly, ugly. He bought them to let his sons shoot with.

·
Registered
205 Posts
I don't know how prices up there are . But maybe reconsider a used rifle . You can still find a lot of Savage 110's for 300 or less occasionally around here . Shop around and find yourself a good Japan made tasco with the red letters and you got yourself some good glass for 100.00 or less . Just a suggestion . Kenneth

·
Super Moderator
5,837 Posts
Just take it for what its worth...cabelas and hoffmans do not get my vote for purchasing firearms. They may have a somewhat big selection of firearms but..... I would not buy a firearm from cabelas ever again. cabelas takes two hours to do paper work thats all on computer with 5 to 7 different people doing the transaction, then only to be walked out of the store by an employee to then be handed your firearm. hoffamans was no way on our side of this firearm fight and bad mouthed Stag Arms. hoffmans is a pos, I do not care how good their prices or selection will be on any of their stuff. Because of what they did, I and a large majority of others, will never shop there again. cabelas, I will still purchase items from them but not firearms.

Cheap to shoot, low priced, fun, "good looking" (lol), and in a 30 caliber cartridge? Well the only rifles that come to mind would be the Mosin Nagant, the SKS, or a sporterized Lee Enfield. I didn't like the way the Mosin looked at first either. It kind of grew on me more and more when I gathered more information on them and then the price was hard to beat.

I agree with the others a Mosing Nagant would do very well and you can modify it to your liking. You may try and find a Mosin Nagant M38 or M44, they are a little smaller in length and imo look better. For the cartridge costs I'm finding it for 20 to 25 cents a round through private sellers here in CT. On line its around 80 to 110 dollars now for 440 rounds. My offering to this selection would be the SKS. The cost for the rifle may be around 3 to 400 dollars but the cartridge is somewhat priced well...for whats going on. 300 dollars for a 1000 rounds which should be about 3 to 5 trips to the range.

You could also look for a sporterized Lee Enfield Rifle. When these pop up for sale on forums they don't last long. Great rifles with very smooth bolt action. They are usually around 2 to 400 dollars, then again you will be paying anywhere from 15 dollars for a box of 20 to 25 dollars and up. Surplus ammunition for this rifle is pretty much gone and can only be found in small pockets around the world or in private hands. You would need to keep an eye out on forums when surplus ammunition is being sold for the Lee Enfield. Only thing is some say to not shoot it because of a collectors value. With that said I do have some Moain Nagant cartridges that are in this category.

Mossberg and Ruger make some normal priced real good entry level rifles but then the ammunition will be a bit costly. A 308 Winchester rifle would accept the 7.62x51 so you could maybe save some coin that way, not much just some. Savage is another good rifle then again the same thing with the cartridges.

Oh and welcome!, from another NGF member from CT.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts