Looking for range ammo recommendations for the following

7.62x39 will be used in MAK-90 and Chinese SKS

.223 will be used in Ruger Mini-14

.30 will be used in M1 Carbine

Will be ordering from http://www.midwayusa.com

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
Of course it depends on what you're doing with these rifles. If you're just blasting or target shooting, Wolf or other cheeep Russian or ChiCom ammo is fine for your Mak90 and SKS. I wouldn't use steel-cased ammo in a Mini-14, myself, but many would argue that. The Black Hills remanufactured 55 or 60 gr FMJ or JSP or the Winchester white box is great for the Mini. For .30 Carbine, Winchester 110 gr in the white box is equivalent to the military load designed for that rifle.

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
I shoot Wolf steel cased ammo in my mini 14 but I put a drop or two of oil on the extractor often to prevent issues.

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
Yeah, Sig -- that's the right thing to do. With me it's just one of those "thaings" -- I know millions of rounds of that Russian stuff is going through tens of thousands of guns, but not MINE. I won't use a steel cleaning rod, either, except in an emergency.

Well you see, I was a "dumb shitzz." I bought a whole case of 223 Wolf for $100, not realizing that it was steel cased ammo. A long time ago, I have not shot the stuff up yet, in fact I don't get out in the woods to shoot it very often. So I have a lot stashed for the next "Portland Riots!" :eek: :eek:

Uh.........................I don't think Portland has ever had a riot or ever will. :lol:

·
Drunk Supernova
6,002 Posts
Be wary of Wolf or other lacquer coated steel cased rounds. I had a problem with it in my last AK. I was able to get bulk 7.62x39 fairly cheap. But I found after a few thousand rounds there was significantly more wear on the chamber and bolt face. The explanation I was given is that steel cased ammo generates a higher chamber pressure due to more case neck bullet retention. Something else I had heard is while the steel casing expands it does not "spring back", causing more wear on the chamber, and lastly something about because the casing is harder it causes more wear on the chamber during the loading portion of the cycle of fire.

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
C-D-P said:
Be wary of Wolf or other lacquer coated steel cased rounds. I had a problem with it in my last AK. I was able to get bulk 7.62x39 fairly cheap. But I found after a few thousand rounds there was significantly more wear on the chamber and bolt face. The explanation I was given is that steel cased ammo generates a higher chamber pressure due to more case neck bullet retention. Something else I had heard is while the steel casing expands it does not "spring back", causing more wear on the chamber, and lastly something about because the casing is harder it causes more wear on the chamber during the loading portion of the cycle of fire.

Now I am glad I have only shot a few boxes of that Wolf stuff through my mini-14. Maybe I will sell off the rest of the ammo for a tidy profit and buy some brass ammo. What is the best brand to buy???

·
Drunk Supernova
6,002 Posts
sig232 said:
C-D-P said:

Now I am glad I have only shot a few boxes of that Wolf stuff through my mini-14. Maybe I will sell off the rest of the ammo for a tidy profit and buy some brass ammo. What is the best brand to buy???
Thats what I did. And I really do not know what the best brand is. I have not bought 7.62x39 for a long time, and most of my 5.56 comes from a buddy.

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
I hadn't heard the theory of greater bullet retention, but that may be so. I just know that steel on steel plus heat is not mitigated by a little bit of lacquer. The lacquer is there to prevent rust and, in theory, provides a bit of lubrication (or at least "slickness") when the cartridge is moving in and out of the chamber. The guns that steel cases are made for, i.e., SKS and AK, have enough slop in their tolerances that it shouldn't make much difference. Not so with an AR, a Mini, etc. Call me an ammo snob, I'll stick with brass (or even aluminium like Blazer).

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hm, well I wonder if it matters actually how many steel cases are shot through then. I have probably put close to 1000 rds through my AK, and I think just about all of it has been Wolf steel case ammo. I haven't really noticed any unusual wearing on the parts. I have never had any problems/malfunctions with it either. Interesting info. I think I have accumulated about 800+ rds sitting in my ammo cans awaiting the Red Dawn scenario. And I think I will shoot it again soon too. So I'll keep an eye out for any unusual wear patterns. Good info too. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
FWIW, I just took in a Saiga on consignment, in which the owner used nothing but brass-cased ammo. He brought it in a little dirty so I went to clean it up so I can show it. I noticed a bit of brass dust around the chamber and on the bolt assembly. I hadn't seen that before on AKs, but then most all of the ones I've taken in were fed nothing but steel or bimetal ammo. The gun shoots fine and shows no other signs of mis-adjustment or anything like that. I just thought it was pretty interesting in light of this and other conversations I've had about steel vs. brass cases.

·
Just Some Dude...
1,142 Posts
I have to throw in my two cents here...

I have two AK's, and two SKS's of which I use steel cased Wolf ammo in because of the obvious reason of being so cheap. I have to say... the one AK, and both SKS's, have easily seen over 10K rounds each with absolutely NO ISSUES, or any "damage" to the firearms. :---

Now in my other rifles... such as the AR15's etc, I use better (brass) ammo due to the tolerances being tighter which Wolf brand would reek havoc in and gum up. But the sloppy firearms... no issues at all.

So... maybe I've just been lucky, but the AK's etc eat that Wolf ammo like candy. Just FYI, Wolf does make a brass series of ammo as well, that is still cheaper than most any other manufacturer, but I see no need for it, at least through mine. :lol:

While most of my arsenal is packed with good ammo... I have such an addiction to shooting, that I have to keep the cheap stuff for playing with... and again, I play hard... and the Wolf ammo has done right by me for many years, at least through my sloppy rifles!

·
Drunk Supernova
6,002 Posts
I could have just had a "lemon". I will check around to see if anyone I shoot with has had this issue.

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
+1 to Big Daddy's comment. In over three decades of messing with AKs and ARs, I have never seen any SKS or AK-clone damaged by steel-cased ammo. Personally, I think it goes to the whole discussion we've had here (and probably every other gun forum that ever existed) about the pros vs. cons of AKs and ARs. The truth is that I also have never seen an AR or a Mini damaged by steel, either. As I stated above, it just goes against my anal nature to do so.

The same might be said about American vs. Russian military aircraft. If an F/A-18 was given the same maintenance protocol as a MiG29 (using the same tools, parts, fluids, etc.) -- LET ALONE flown from the same airfields -- you'd see the F/A-18 fall out of the sky! I think the same could be said for most of the aircraft in the inventory except perhaps the C-130.

·
Premium Member
579 Posts
Have a look at budsgunshop site they sometimes have good prices

1 - 16 of 16 Posts