National Gun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
Remington 12 Gauge Pump/ .22 LR Bolt Action
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I'm new to the forums, but I've grown up with long rifles and shotguns, but I've never had a handgun, just something I've never thought about getting until my wife decided I should have one. So, I've looked at 9mm and.45, and I honestly think I could go either way.. But then I heard about the SIG Sauer p320, modular handgun, which can be changed out to adjust to different rounds? What are your thoughts on the p320? I'd really like to have one maybe in the 9 I think.. Would really like to know everyone's thoughts on this,

Thanks!
Scott.

·
Premium Member
8,147 Posts
My son and my brother are big Sig guys. Great guns. Caliber??? That’s a tough one. Depends on what you’re going to do with it. 9mm gives you capacity but .45 gives you trauma. On the range, it makes no difference. In a fight? Pros and cons for both. Cost of shooting? 9mm is the less expensive round. ( notice I didn’t say cheaper?) For me, I always feel at home with a .45 but I’m a 1911 guy. I have other calibers and they’re fine but I’m happiest with a big bore. It just feels right to me. Something about the push of that big slug instead of the snap. Gave all of my 9mm guns and ammo to my son.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
Hey there, scottbrown244! Welcome to the NGF. It's wonderful to see you are looking for your first handgun. Come join us, on the forum, and we'll help you look.
Sigs are very good pistols. That said, OTOH, my issue with modularity is this leaves you with one receiver doing double duty. In essence you will always have one complete handgun, and a bunch of leftover parts which can't be made whole, without that next receiver. But that's just me.

Beretta and FN also have some nice offerings. The 92 and FNX series are workhorses. Have you tried a S&W GEN II or GEN III yet ? Some folks are almost hypnotized by the 1911. There is so much out there.

·
Registered
268 Posts
WAIT just a minute here. You say your wife thinks that you should buy a handgun?
I have to keep telling my wife to think of my purchases as her shoe collection. Never ending.
But seriously I would recommend that you visit several toy stores and handle as many of the above mentioned recommendations that have been given so far.
You could also visit gun ranges in your area. many in my area offer rentals for their customers.
Keep in mind your intended use.
Hunting, Hiking, Self defense, Home defense, Range toy.
Manufactures customer service policies
I discovered a long time ago, that the members of this forum can and will offer you an almost limitless source of information and recommendations from their personal experiences.

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
I always recommend Ruger's. Excellent value. A guy I work with got a Sig 320 in 45. I told him to get a Ruger too but someone actually got it for him. I also told him to get a 9mm as a starter gun because ammo was cheaper and readily available. Not now but back then. You need to shoot it and cheap available ammo makes that more probable.

There are many good brands and models and it's hard to go wrong. He started talking Glock because of it's popularity. I did tell him a Glock was a good gun but if he got one don't ask me anything about it. He's actually a supervisor and when he first got it we went to a Kroger parking lot, due to anti-gun workplace policies, and I showed him how to break it down and what to do to clean and degrease it then lube it.

I took him to my range to get started and boy does he need the practice.

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
Some of my post tend to go long so let me break them up and be equally long just in pieces. The modularity aspect is kind of gimmicky. You will probably just buy another gun if you ever want to shoot another caliber.

Most people go straight to semi-autos. I always recommend revolvers. Get a 357 GP100. It is an ideal beginner gun. It's easy to use, more versatile and reliable. Safer and stronger. Ammo is avail and economical. If you ever decide to reload down the road it's a reloaders dream.

·
Keep calm & return fire!
13,519 Posts
The modularity aspect is kind of gimmicky. You will probably just buy another gun if you ever want to shoot another caliber.
What Fred mentions is important

Sigs modularity is only within the caliber of the gun. You can make different variations of 9mm or .45 but a 9mm can not be turned into a .45 and vice versa.
I also agree that its a bit of a gimmick. Most simply just buy another handgun in the caliber of their choosing.

Welcome to NGF @scottbrown244

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Pick a caliber, be it 9mm or .45.
Forget the gimmicks. Pick one and you will be happy with it.
Believe us, it will not be your only handgun.
I know no one who has only one handgun.
You are a lucky man to have a wife that tells you to go out and buy yourself a handgun.
A rare creature indeed!
And she watches sports! I got lucky with this one indeed lol

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So what I have gathered from the posts thus far is, just pick a caliber, and something I'd be happy with (for the time being lol) I'll have a look at all the ones posted above and see which ones strike my fancy.

As for use, she has a small 9mm and I have long rifles, she said she'd like to go to the range and shoot some, but didn't want me bringing my longs when we go. So good family time at the range, and of course it would double as home/concealed carry. (wife actually is the person you get your permit and marriage license from in our county)

Although... I would like to hunt small game around our house, rabbit and squirrel are a real pain in our garden areas, so it would need to be precise.

We live outside city limits, and have a decent chunk of land out here, so people do hunt around us and firearms are normally heard. (just stating for reference, we are able to shoot in our yard, actually thinking about making a range with railroad ties)

Also, reloading sounds like something I would like to get into. Sounds interesting!!

Thanks so much for all the input! You guys and girls are great :)

Scott.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Think I've decided to go with the
- Kimber Custom II Two-Tone Semi-Auto Pistol - .45 Automatic Colt Pistol (1911)

I generally like the look of the 1911's and I've read a few posts back, and I have come to the conclusion that I like the hammer mechanism. (striker)

Thanks for all your messages and input, what a great community there is here!

((also, my wife decided we could go tonight to Bass-pro to look at the Kimber, and probably purchase it..then she suggested top golf for dinner..shes pretty amazing :) ))

Stay safe my friends

Scott.

·
Aim true !
12,423 Posts
Good choice. 1911's are my fave handgun platform.

·
Premium Member
325 Posts
Welcome to the forum

Here's my perspective on first handgun

Be open to trading it or selling it... should you find the first one you buy (and try/shoot) is not as pleasing as you thought it would be.

Guns rarely lose value (they can of course, but tend to hold value)

Buy, sell and trade until you find one you like

·
Registered
129 Posts
Good choice -- keep the wife. Now for my input on guns: you're looking for your first handgun and you need our help. First, my old statement "try-then-buy" applies. I own a Glock 19 gen 4 in 9mm, Glock 42 in .380, Springfield 1911 in.45, Sig P365 in 9mm, Taurus TX22 in .22lr, and Mrs Tinyman has a S&W 380EZ. Which is best? Which is worst? How long is a rope.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts