National Gun Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently I purchased the Glock23, and so far so good. But I am curious, are there any defects or issues that I should be made aware of with the G23. I have researched for the past year or so before deciding to buy and I feel that I have the gun that works for me. I am however concerned with issues known to this model/caliber.

Another thing that I have noticed with the .40 vs. the 9mm is the $ of the ammo. Does anyone know of a cheap website that one can buy bulk .40 S&W ammo? So far the cheapest place I've seen it (as crazy as it is) is Wal-Mart. I can purchase 100 rounds FMJ Winchester for about $27. The local gun shop is really giving me the screw job with Independence rounds 50 rds = $18. Any help would be appreciated. :D

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
The only defect I am aware of with the Glocks is the plastic guide rods. They can be a problem and I replaced mine and a friends with the Stainless Steel models from Lone Wolf. Also since you cannot shoot lead bullets in the Glock barrels I put in a match SS barrel.

The improvement in the trigger by adding a $12, 3.5 lb connector was the best move I made. I saw an immediate improvement in accuracy.

·
Pro Gun Advocate
10,940 Posts
Here's Federal 155gr JHP for about $10 a box of 50, (temporarily out of stock):
http://www.ableammo.com/catalog/pro...80_14658_14743_14908_14749&products_id=100713

Wolf 180gr fmj for $100/500 rounds
Aguila 180gr fmj $12/50 or $220/1000
http://www.the-armory.com/shopsite_sc/store/html/40_Auto_Ammo.html
I've shot both through my Glocks without any problem, Aguila is brass.

You may also find that freight offsets sales tax, at least partially.

Also, I have a G23 and 2 G27s, never had a problem with any of them.

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
The Glock guide rod is made of polymer and the end can chip. It will cause the end of the guide rod to slip out of the barrel grove and you will have trouble getting the slide off the frame. I had heard about this problem before but my shooting buddy experienced it with an older Glock 17. He had put a lot of rounds through that gun and after replacing the guide rod it still looks and shoot like new.

The other mods I mentioned will enhance the shooting accuracy and make you look good on the range.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts