National Gun Forum banner

Looking for help with a First Version H&R 922 revolver.

8K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Coalcracker 
#1 ·
I just got one of the first version H&R 922 9 shot 22 revolvers. There are no schematics for this version but I know some of the members here have the same early model so I'm hoping someone can help confirm which parts I need that are simply missing from my piece. I believe I am missing a sear and cylinder stop, but if anyone sees something else missing from the photo of my shooter and it's parts I would be grateful for anyone bringing it to my attention. Sears and cylinder stops are available at Numrich but they can't confirm they will fit in this model. This model is very different from the second and third version. Thanks for any help I can get.
Gun Revolver Trigger Still life Metal
Door handle Metal Steel

See less See more
#2 ·
I just got one of the first version H&R 922 9 shot 22 revolvers. There are no schematics for this version but I know some of the members here have the same early model so I'm hoping someone can help confirm which parts I need that are simply missing from my piece. I believe I am missing a sear and cylinder stop, but if anyone sees something else missing from the photo of my shooter and it's parts I would be grateful for anyone bringing it to my attention. Sears and cylinder stops are available at Numrich but they can't confirm they will fit in this model. This model is very different from the second and third version. Thanks for any help I can get.
View attachment 106596 View attachment 106598
How do you know? No offence they are not really a collectors item. My LGS sells the for 100.00 out the door.

#3 ·
I copied this from another forum and it looks like it may be copied from the blur book or another price guide. From this description and and from the frame photo of a parts link i'll add to i don't think yours is the first variation. According to what I'm reading that has a birds head grip and was later changed. There is also some serial number info that may help you. I'm not familiar with the parts in those but to me it seems you're missing more than two parts. Do you have any pins or screws to hold it together?

MODEL 922 DOUBLE ACTION FIRST MODEL LARGE SOLID FRAME
22 RIMFIRE CALIBER ------------------------------------------1927-1952
9 shot cylinder capacity, pull pin cylinder release, blue finish, 6 inch octagon barrel, two piece over size walnut grips saw handle shaped, marked with company name and address on top of barrel, right side of barrel H&R 922 and caliber on left side of barrel.
First Variation 1927-1930 serial number range 115000*-145000*(estimate)
Second Variation 1931 DIFFERENCE: new grip shape (saw handle shape eliminated) serial number range 145000*-160000*(estimate)
Third Variation 1932-1937 DIFFERENCE: new safety cylinder, serial number range 160000*-171000*(estimate)
Fourth Variation 1938-1939 DIFFERENCE; new grip frame and round barrel, serial number range 171000*-192000*(estimate)
Fifth Variation 1940- 1947 DIFFERENCE; same as 4th variation except letter code prefix to serial number A thru H
Sixth Variation 1948-1949 DIFFERENCE; a new barrel length, serial number letter codes I and J
Seventh Variation 1949-1952 DIFFERENCE; all-in-one cartridge extraction system, serial number letter codes J thru M
Eight Variation 1952 models for M922 Camper and M922 Bantam weight (see post 1953 models)
VALUE: 100%=$195 60%=$55 add 40% premium for 1st Variation and 20% premium for 2nd, 3rd, 4th & 5th Variations

when looking for parts for this gun tell the supplier it is a pre1940 model. this should have the birds head grip frame called "RICE FRAME" by collectors and some people even call it the second model 922.

https://www.schludershots.com/gun-parts-by-model/h-r-gun-parts/h-r-model-922-gun-parts.html

#4 ·
Square Target2, I have all the pins I took out taped them to a paper sketch to keep track easy. I could be missing more than two parts, maybe some internal pins but not sure. Mine falls into the first variation serial numbers as you can see in the photo. It could have had the grips replaced. I guess I can compare it to some of the photos of the guys here who have the serial numbers in the first variation.

Coalcracker, I'm not sure who you are asking questions of? I have no idea what my shooter is worth in parts or restored, I doubt much but I'm not restoring to sell, I'm restoring to shoot if it proves sound and just to look at if anything is questionable. I've made no comments on value or selling. Maybe someone else did and then removed their comment.
Gun Firearm Trigger Revolver Gun accessory

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.