National Gun Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a 26 year-old that goes to college and works part time at a job. I just picked up my CCW license today. I am looking for a cheap gun, that is small (I am only 5'5 and small in stature). I would like a gun without much kick and that is somewhat cheap and easy to conceal.

All I really know about is rifles and bigger guns I am completely new to using handguns. Thanks for all your help.

Chase

·
Registered
Navy Vet
2,881 Posts
To cover all of your needs you might want to research on line, or in person at a gun shop, a Ruger LCP .380.

·
Grand Imperial Poobah
23,457 Posts
If you are that new to using handguns, you really should take an NRA approved safety class, if you haven't already taken one. Gun ownership is a huge responsibility and safety is the utmost importance.

Also conceal carrying legally is very important. You say you attend college are concealed handguns allowed on college campuses in your state? Do you live on campus? Can you secure a handgun, so others don't gain unauthorized access?

Before you run out and purchase a handgun, you should be able to properly use one, hence the NRA safety class ..... but you should try shooting the firearm to see if you can properly handle the size, functionality and recoil of the handgun you want ...... going to a local shooting range and renting a few firearms would be a good start. The shooting range should have a Ruger LCP and Bersa Thunder 380, for you to try. You may also be interested in a Sig P238 or P938.

It is difficult of the members here to say what handgun would be good for you or not good for you. Only you can determine that. But a shooting range should be able to find a handgun suitable for your tastes.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If you are that new to using handguns, you really should take an NRA approved safety class, if you haven't already taken one. Gun ownership is a huge responsibility and safety is the utmost importance.

Also conceal carrying legally is very important. You say you attend college are concealed handguns allowed on college campuses in your state? Do you live on campus? Can you secure a handgun, so others don't gain unauthorized access?

Before you run out and purchase a handgun, you should be able to properly use one, hence the NRA safety class ..... but you should try shooting the firearm to see if you can properly handle the size, functionality and recoil of the handgun you want ...... going to a local shooting range and renting a few firearms would be a good start. The shooting range should have a Ruger LCP and Bersa Thunder 380, for you to try. You may also be interested in a Sig P238 or P938.

It is difficult of the members here to say what handgun would be good for you or not good for you. Only you can determine that. But a shooting range should be able to find a handgun suitable for your tastes.
I have shot my brother-in-laws gun which is a Sig P (he has had so many guns that it is hard to keep up) and my dad's glock. I really learned to shoot with a .22 and a 30.06 before I really got interested in hand guns. I commute to college and park at the football stadium (and I would not carry it to class).

·
Grand Imperial Poobah
23,457 Posts
I have shot my brother-in-laws gun which is a Sig P (he has had so many guns that it is hard to keep up) and my dad's glock. I really learned to shoot with a .22 and a 30.06 before I really got interested in hand guns. I commute to college and park at the football stadium (and I would not carry it to class).
I'll list off a few models you may want to look at. Again safety and proper, legal carry is of utmost responsibility.

Beretta Model 21 Bobcat
Beretta Model 3032 Tomcat
Bersa Thunder 380
Colt Defender
Glock 36
Kahr CM9
Kel-Tec PF-9
Kimber Solo Carry
Kimber Ultra Carry
Ruger LCP
Ruger LCR
Sig Sauer P238
Sig Sauer P938
Smith & Wesson Shield
Smith & Wesson 442 or 642 (revolvers)
Springfield Armory XDS
Walther PPK or PPK/S

Some of our other members should be able to add to this list.

·
Registered
6,403 Posts
Small, light automatics chambered in .380ACP like the KelTec P3AT, the Ruger LCP and the Taurus TCP all kick like mules - the caliber is rather snappy and, especially in the hands of a newbie, difficult to keep under control for follow up shots. The 9mm versions of these small guns are even worse. Given your size, relative inexperience, and budget, I suggest either a KelTec P32 chambered in .32ACP, a North American Arms Mini-Revolver in .22WMR, or a Charter Arms Undercover revolver in .38Special.

Don't worry about stopping power or ballistics - modern ammunition technology has made all the calibers good, and more important than any other consideration is shot placement. Well placed bullets will do the job regardless of caliber. Make sure that whatever firearm you select, it fits your entire year-round wardrobe, and will never, ever be left at home for any reason.

·
Jesus Saves
8,055 Posts
Nice list Mad.....I say get them all and rotate carries! :wink:

It is always so hard to recommend something as personal as a handgun, especially for a conceal; however, I do like the KLCR 357. It is small, manageable recoil with 38's in it and very easy to use.

Just my 2 cents.

Safety is always priority.

Good luck. But as mentioned earlier - research and try before you buy.

·
Registered
7,253 Posts
I say a Armscor 38spl stub nose revolver..... around $300 or the Ruger KLCR .357

·
Registered
6,651 Posts
chose your mode of carry........pocket, iwb, owb, etc...........

since you mentioned cheap.......for me that means pocket carry and a smaller lighter gun......and an appropriate inexpensive pocket holster. less expensive this route than shelling out bucks for a quality holster and belt and dressing for the gun.

the smaller and lighter the gun, the more recoil............choose your caliber/ammunition accordingly.

many choices, action styles, and calibers with the new and used market......too many to list.

hard to recommend any particular gun without a top end budget listed and any size/weight restrictions.

Reactions: Popeye

·
1,796 Posts
While somewhat taller than you im a slender framed guy (no spare tire around my midsection). That being said i primarily carry a glock 23 concealed inside waistband in the appendix position and through experience i can say it conceals well and goes completely unnoticed in public even just under a t-shirt. I have smaller firearms such as the lcr 357 and even a kel-tec pf9. I choose to carry the g23 because i am more confident with it both in accuracy and firepower. As much as i like the lcr the five shot capacity concerns me to a extent even with full house 357 loads. Not to mention the shorter barrels tend to sacrifice accuracy and muzzle velocity. I will note that initially appendix carry was physically uncomfortable for me but once i found the correct position and cant i find it far more comfortable than any other iwb carry id used before. I will admit to punching my man berries with the barrel a time or two jumping into my truck but with the proper position and cant that doesn't happen anymore. The smallest gun isnt always the best choice for everyone and i dont really care for the snap of the pocket 380s nor do i typically carry back up mags or speed loaders( in the case of a revolver) on my person. Imo a gun you can confidently shoot from a variety of positions and a variety of ranges is more valuable than one that fits in my pocket, the added capacity is a bonus as well. To sum my post up pick the gun that works best for you and dont think you're limited to pocket pistols for concealment because you can easily conceal a larger framed gun in the right body position.

·
Registered
378 Posts
A "cheap gun" is NOT recommended by anyone on here for an EDC however with money being tight for everyone these days we would recommend a quality used handgun over a brand spanking new cheap handgun any day in the week. Jim T.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
A "cheap gun" is NOT recommended by anyone on here for an EDC however with money being tight for everyone these days we would recommend a quality used handgun over a brand spanking new cheap handgun any day in the week. Jim T.
Agreed that a quality used gun is better than a new cheap gun. But it depends on what we call "cheap." A quality used gun is still not cheap. I was referring to new guns that sell for under $200.00.

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
54,933 Posts
Inexpensive smaller pistol: Bersa Thunderer, chambered in .380 ACP.

Reactions: deputy

·
Jesus Saves
8,055 Posts
Agreed that a quality used gun is better than a new cheap gun. But it depends on what we call "cheap." A quality used gun is still not cheap. I was referring to new guns that sell for under $200.00.
Good luck on finding it, maintaining it and depending on it.

New, under 200?

·
Registered
6,403 Posts
I see very little relationship between price and reliability or durability. My Charter Arms .44 Bulldog was inexpensive when new back in the 1970s, and even today, an original (3" barrel) Bulldog can be had for $300 - $400. Nearing 40 years old, it has been shot plenty, and has never failed to operate, and has never needed repair. My NAA Mini Revolver cost about $200 new, is crafted entirely of stainless steel, is fitted and finished like a Swiss watch, and NAA is happy to offer a lifetime warranty - knowing that very few will ever have to be returned. Brand new AK 47 rifles are available for half the price of AR15s, and with even less than regular maintenance will function flawlessly and accurately for generations to come.

On the other hand, I owned a Remington 700 BDL in 7mm Rem Mag that once in 30 years failed to fire and needed repair. I also owned a Colt Anaconda in .44 Mag that needed repair - needless to say both models are expensive - and for their failures, both were sold and replaced. I've owned lots and lots of firearms over the last half a century, and I have not found any evidence that price is related to serviceability or value. It almost seems counter-intuitive, but often the simpler, less expensive weapon is the better weapon.

·
Jesus Saves
8,055 Posts
You know better than I do, you have allot more experience. My comment is only based on the information I have read about - much, if not most, in this forum.

Just for curiosity, what model handgun for CCW would you suggest to consider - that is under 200 bucks; especially if that is your first and only handgun?

·
Registered
6,403 Posts
You know better than I do, you have allot more experience. My comment is only based on the information I have read about - much, if not most, in this forum.

Just for curiosity, what model handgun for CCW would you suggest to consider - that is under 200 bucks; especially if that is your first and only handgun?

Unfortunately, aside from the NAA Mini Revolvers, I know of no other new handgun available for $200 that would interest me. I believe Hi-Point makes new guns in that price range, but I'm not a fan of pot metal and zinc.

Several used guns come to mind for around $200 +/- a few bucks - the AMT Backup, original single action model, is a great little CC piece. A used KelTec P3AT or Ruger LCP should be available, as should a Taurus TCP.

Perhaps the best advice would be to wait a while, and save up a bit more money. For another hundred dollars or so, lots of very good guns can be considered.

·
Registered
9,127 Posts
One thing that has not been touched on here. Since this will be your only and primary carry gun. I would not get anything less than a 9mm or 38 special that is rated for +P ammo. While the argument will rage on about what size gun to carry for SD. The ballistics studies show the minimum penetration you want for self defense is achieved with the 9mm +P or 38 spec +P minimum. Now it is still ultimately most important that shot placement is key but in a self defense situation having the penetration needed will be more forgiving. I carry a 380 as a back up or in a few situations when a bigger gun is just not possible. That does not mean I like it that way, I prefer 9mm as every day carry or bigger.

Now others will argue different and that is there opinion just as this is my opinion. One thing I am sure of though. If I have to use my handgun I would not want to be wrong on this one. Get a 9 or 38

Reactions: Ziggidy

·
Registered
7 Posts
I'll list off a few models you may want to look at. Again safety and proper, legal carry is of utmost responsibility.

Beretta Model 21 Bobcat
Beretta Model 3032 Tomcat
Bersa Thunder 380
Colt Defender
Glock 36
Kahr CM9
Kel-Tec PF-9
Kimber Solo Carry
Kimber Ultra Carry
Ruger LCP
Ruger LCR
Sig Sauer P238
Sig Sauer P938
Smith & Wesson Shield
Smith & Wesson 442 or 642 (revolvers)
Springfield Armory XDS
Walther PPK or PPK/S

Some of our other members should be able to add to this list.
Great list, but OP wants a cheap weapon and some of those listed (specially the kimbers) can be expensive.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts