National Gun Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

· Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

As the title states, I'm looking to purchase my first AR (was gonna get an AK, but didn't like the sights). Problem is, I'm having trouble deciding which to get. I've been to a few different shops and handled a few of them, but the trouble it that they all feel good in my hands and have their share of pros and cons. I've narrowed it down to a few so far:

Windham Carbon Fiber - lightest of the bunch, but no optics or iron sights, and in the middle on price. Used $595.

Delton Sierra - cheapest of the AR's I'm considering, but still of fair quality, from what I can tell. Also no optice or iron sights. New $499

Ruger AR 556 - definitely one of the better ones in terms of fit and finish, comes with iron sights and standard furniture. New $625

S&W M&P 15 - nicest trigger of the bunch, standard furniture, comes with crimson trace red dot but no irons. New $625

Still weighing my options, but thought it would be worth getting some outside input.

· Registered
4,403 Posts
Nobody needs weapons of war that the only purpose is to kill. They should be made illegal as it is the weapon of choice of many mass murderers.

· Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Nobody needs weapons of war that the only purpose is to kill. They should be made illegal as it is the weapon of choice of many mass murderers.
Given your post count and signature, I'm gonna go ahead and assume that was satire.

But anyway, to put things back on topic (and hopefully avoid a political de-railing) I was hoping people could weigh in with their personal experience and preferences.

· Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not gonna get to hunting this year, so it'll mostly be a range toy for now, at least. I might end up using it for hunting and I eventually want to get into 3-gun competitions, though, so weight is still a factor to consider. Windham is the obvious choice for that, but the included red dot on the S&W is also a big plus. None of them are especially heavy (for me, anyway), but ounces make pounds and so on.

· Registered
3,327 Posts

· Live Free
4,509 Posts
All pretty good guns. I would be less inclined toward carbon fiber, but it is tough material. The Ruger is the only one with 1 in 8” twist barrel, the rest are 1 in 9”. Faster twist is helpful if you want to shoot heavier bullets. I would be inclined toward the Ruger and add an optic later.

· Banned
1,116 Posts
Colt 6920 is the best bang for your buck.
All parts are mil-spec, chrome-lined bore and carrier, great fitting, top notch QC.
Want a Gucci AR? Buy bare 6920 and spend the rest of your milk money to dress it up.

· Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ended up getting a windham, the weight was a major deciding factor, that and the shop I bought it at had a grandfathered 30rd to go with it, the others were 10rd. He also threw in a set of Magpul flip-ups and a couple boxes of ammo free of charge. I know prices are high, but that's the nature of the area I live in.

Reactions: Wag and Speed

· Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Awesome. Have fun with your new toy
I certainly intend to. Put a few rounds through it down the backyard range today. It's a small range, so I was only about 50 or 60 feet away from the target, but it still gave me a chance to get a feel for it. Absolute joy to shoot.

Congrats.
Windham makes a nice AR.
That's what I'm told, and my first impression is good. They used to be Bushmaster, if I'm not mistaken.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.