National Gun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

My National Ordinance 1903A3. It might be an arsenal remanufactured rifle, but I bought it to be a shooter, not a collector's piece.

·
Banned
818 Posts
Nice 03 rifle! I love old school rifles. I love the look of iron and wood rather then ugly plastic and synthetic stocks. :D

·
Registered
177 Posts
I couldn't tell from the pics but does the stock have all of the cartouge marks? How about proof marks on the action and barrel? What's the date on the barrel and serial number range on the action? I have been known to be a collector of 03 Springfields and have quite a few of them. Some are pretty rare such as an 03 carbine with a 16" barrel. These were only issued in small quantities for the Phiilipine invasion to see how the shorter barrel performed in tight quarters. They have been reviewed in the NRA mag. many years ago. Mine was in cosmoline when I got it. Yours looks to be real clean but don't take it as fact that it is a rebuild unless you that for fact. I got a couple from CMP a few years back that were unissued Smith Coronas. I also got an unissued Garand Sniper complete with correct scope and mounts that has Winchesters name all over it from them. There are an occasional unissued rifles out there.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Trapper L said:
I couldn't tell from the pics but does the stock have all of the cartouge marks? How about proof marks on the action and barrel? What's the date on the barrel and serial number range on the action? I have been known to be a collector of 03 Springfields and have quite a few of them. Some are pretty rare such as an 03 carbine with a 16" barrel. These were only issued in small quantities for the Phiilipine invasion to see how the shorter barrel performed in tight quarters. They have been reviewed in the NRA mag. many years ago. Mine was in cosmoline when I got it. Yours looks to be real clean but don't take it as fact that it is a rebuild unless you that for fact. I got a couple from CMP a few years back that were unissued Smith Coronas. I also got an unissued Garand Sniper complete with correct scope and mounts that has Winchesters name all over it from them. There are an occasional unissued rifles out there.

This one was pieced together. It's virtually worthless as a collector's piece. It's a 1903A3 with a 1903/1903A1 follower and a 1903A1/A4 stock.

·
Banned
1,456 Posts
Beautiful rifle! Let us know how she shoots! Bill T.

·
Banned
1,456 Posts
whompuss said:
There's nothing wrong with a referb or pieced rifle, shoots just as good.

Thats how I felt when I bought these 2 Yugo M-48's from Mitchell's a couple of years ago. All the numbers match, but when you mention Mitchell's to a true blue Mauser collector, they cringe. Both shoot well and look great doing it. They even came with all of the accessories in as new condition also. I was looking for a couple of nice clean shooters and Mitchell's delivers this. They really weren't priced too bad either. Both are amazingly accurate with the iron sights. Bill T.

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
Nice rifle! Definitely looking fwd to a range report!

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
Great Rifle! I too look forward to the range report. :)

·
Galactic Effectuator
525 Posts
Nice rifle, all the more so that you can shoot it when you want.

I've never had a 'stock' Springfield and I really feel the need. Who knows?

G

·
Bought my Mauser from Mitchell's too. Can't beat it for $200 (plus had a special free shipping) It's a nail driver.
Mitchell just ran a sale on all matching for about $500. (Collector Grade, they call them)

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
55,659 Posts
National Ordinance built their own cast receivers and then added-on USGI parts. I believe they built their rifles in the late 1950's and early 1960's. They don't have any collector value as a military rifle but they make a fine target/hunting rifle.

One caveat: Watch out for soft receivers on these. Very few are bad but if the bolt shows any difficulty in opening the bolt locking lugs could be peening the receiver, thus increasing headspace.

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
55,659 Posts
Despite their advertisements to the contrary, Mitchell's Mausers does not deal in collector grade firearms. No way, shape or form!

To say that they do is like saying that Gibbs Rifle Company dealt in collectible firearms.

Both take/took non collectible mil-surp firearms and bastardize/bastardized them into something cosmetically pleasing that sells well to the general public. Both companies produce/produced acceptable quality, although overpriced, "shooters".

1 - 20 of 20 Posts