National Gun Forum banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Super Moderator
14,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Congratulations on the pair! I sometimes hunt pheasants with a .410 OU. YOU GOTTA BE FAST AND ON TIRGET. The 10 ga is going to be stout for sure. I have a few 12ga doubles and while it’s totally manageable, I really like the 20ga guns for less recoil. I do hunt Turkeys and goose with the 12 but deer get the 20 ga.
When I was a kid, my old man took us duck hunting. I used a .410 out there and nabbed a few. I know they aren't anything like pheasant but it was fun! My gramma used to hand me her .410 and tell me to go get a goose from the pond down the hill. That was fun too, until she made me pluck 'em for dinner! LOL

Decades ago, I borrowed an old Elgin sidelock double barreled 12 gauge from a friend. Apparently the locks were worn and the first time I fired it, both barrels fired. At the time, I wore glassed an it almost knocked me out from under my glasses which were cockeyed on my head. My wife, who was with me got a good cackle out of it.
I learned a bit about box locks and side locks when I was reading up on this last week. Interesting to say the least. This is a box lock and it seems like just what I need. On both guns, too, I tested them in the store and the firing pins all did what they are supposed to do so I think I'm good.

OK, an anti-aircraft gun and a quail gun. I assume you have the middle already covered? :sneaky:

But Nice find! I assume your going to reload for the 10?
I do have a couple of 12 ga guns and a 20 ga so yeah, I'm covered! The guy included three boxes minus a few shells. I'm set for ammo for now unless it is just unbearably magnum-ish!

Shotgun is one of the things I don't load for because I don't shoot all that much.

In my younger/dumber days I wouldn't have thought twice about shooting a 10 gauge. In my "advanced" years, a 12 gauge is the largest shotgun I would think about shooting, and that would be as few rounds as possible.
We're gonna find out if I can shoot this thing!

--Wag--

·
Super Moderator
16,145 Posts
When I was a kid, my old man took us duck hunting. I used a .410 out there and nabbed a few. I know they aren't anything like pheasant but it was fun! My gramma used to hand me her .410 and tell me to go get a goose from the pond down the hill. That was fun too, until she made me pluck 'em for dinner! LOL

I learned a bit about box locks and side locks when I was reading up on this last week. Interesting to say the least. This is a box lock and it seems like just what I need. On both guns, too, I tested them in the store and the firing pins all did what they are supposed to do so I think I'm good.

I do have a couple of 12 ga guns and a 20 ga so yeah, I'm covered! The guy included three boxes minus a few shells. I'm set for ammo for now unless it is just unbearably magnum-ish!

Shotgun is one of the things I don't load for because I don't shoot all that much.

We're gonna find out if I can shoot this thing!

--Wag--
it’s really not that bad with standard ammo. The weight absorbs a lot of the recoil. With slugs, buckshot, heavy shot, and Turkey loads it wouldn’t hurt to have on a jacket. It is important to use proper shotgunning posture and have it against your shoulder and cheek. Any extra space in those two areas will get used up rather quickly.

Alan

Reactions: Wag

·
Super Moderator
14,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Just asking can the voids be filled with clear liquid epoxy they use for casting also in woodworking? It would retain its character and also be solid. It is a sweet shotgun.
I took a much closer look at it today and cleaned it. Ya learn a lot about a firearm just by doing a field strip and clean.

The voids are already filled and coated. Likely from the factory. You can't even feel them in spite of how they look in the photos.

The choke markings for the barrels say "Choke 18.6 19.7" right side and "18.5 19.7" left side. Photo below.

The gun wasn't clean but it only took about five patches to scrub the barrels out to a clean patch. That and the lack of wear makes me think it really hasn't been shot that much.

Overall, the gun seems to be in pretty good shape.

Automotive tire Wood Grey Automotive design Rim

·
Super Moderator
14,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
I also cleaned the .410. I got that one from the local Cabela's, used. It was really dirty. Amazing that they don't clean their used guns before turning them back around.

The .410 is also in good shape and very little wear on it. On both guns, there's no telling how long they say dirty. I've heard people say that they don't generally clean shotguns but hey, no better way to learn about a gun than by cleaning it after a field strip!

Hopefully, I'll get it out to the range in the next few days.

--Wag--

·
Super Moderator
14,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
It has a built in choke in the barrels so I'm not even sure I should shoot slugs in it. A video would be entertaining, though, to be sure!

--Wag--

·
Registered
8,173 Posts
From what I was reading about it, the ZH guns were considered lower tier but good workhorses. Since there is no importers name on it, I suspect it was brought to the U.S. in the mid 50's or early 60's. But I dunno.

It's heavy as hell. Can't wait to shoot it!

--Wag--
I have always wondered if the ZH guns were like some of the old St Etine, and Ithaca "Name" guns. There is nothing "Low Tier" about your new 10 bore or the .410ga. That sure as hell not Dremel engraving.

·
Registered
8,173 Posts
It has a built in choke in the barrels so I'm not even sure I should shoot slugs in it. A video would be entertaining, though, to be sure!

--Wag--
You would more than likely have to sort around on the ground after the second shot. You know to be sure nothing important rattled loos after the kick.

·
Super Moderator
14,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
You would more than likely have to sort around on the ground after the second shot. You know to be sure nothing important rattled loos after the kick.
Yeah, like my teeth! LOL

I was going to take it out Wednesday but I needed a magazine for another gun that I couldn't find anywhere. I'm still grossly unorganized since the move in Dec 2019. Ugh.

Anyhoo, I have another place or two to search for the dang thing and then I'll head out there.

--Wag--

·
Registered
8,173 Posts
Yeah, like my teeth! LOL

I was going to take it out Wednesday but I needed a magazine for another gun that I couldn't find anywhere. I'm still grossly unorganized since the move in Dec 2019. Ugh.

Anyhoo, I have another place or two to search for the dang thing and then I'll head out there.

--Wag--
I moved to Del Rio Sep. 2019 and all my reloading and stock making tools are still in boxes out in the barn. Some chickens got into my wood working tools they did some real damage to my planer, and drill press. I really enjoy making FRESH FRIED CHICKEN NOW. So, I can understand the lost toys problem.
Roy

21 - 33 of 33 Posts