National Gun Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Just Some Dude...
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any of you have a massive wait during your CCW process? In Michigan it's called a CPL...

Mine took like 3 months to get after the paperwork was all in... I thought that was FOREVER!
But I was just talking to a buddy, and in Wayne County, MI (Detroit) he's been waiting nearly 6 months!!!

Any other States/Counties with such a waiting game?

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
Naw, only about six weeks in Oregon and WA states. So far anyway.

Detroit. Man thats a battleground city. Looks like "escape from New York" in that downtown district after the sun goes down. Yikes. Everyone should be issued guns just to visit that place.

Big change from when I used to visit there in the 1950's.

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
My N.M. CHL took a week short of two months, my wife's took about four weeks longer than that.

(Note: I edited this to "two months". I had mistakenly typed "three months" ~GR)

·
Pro Gun Advocate
10,940 Posts
In Virginia, the law states that the process may take no longer than 45 days.

On day 46, if you don't have your permit, you go down to the courthouse to get a copy of your application, which serves as your de facto permit.

Mine took 45 days, I have friends whose took 2 weeks.

·
Angry Citizen
1,521 Posts
Mine took 75 days exactly. Colorado law says you have to be informed if you've been accepted or denied in 90 days or less.

·
Premium Member
15,424 Posts
NM has the 90-day rule as well. I think my wife received her's on Day 89 or something close to that.

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
gunrnr said:
NM has the 90-day rule as well. I think my wife received her's on Day 89 or something close to that.

Yep, she seems a bit on the "ornery" side so I understand why they might have to spend a bit more time checking her out! :eek: ;) :lol: :lol:

·
Just Some Dude...
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
sig232 said:
Naw, only about six weeks in Oregon and WA states. So far anyway.

Detroit. Man thats a battleground city. Looks like "escape from New York" in that downtown district after the sun goes down. Yikes. Everyone should be issued guns just to visit that place.

Big change from when I used to visit there in the 1950's.
I'm just a ******* white boy... though born and raised here.
(Grandparents were self proclaimed "Gun toting hillbillies" who migrated from Tennessee)

Honestly... Detroit is not as bad as I find most people think. Don't get me wrong, it is a large city and does have some pretty shady areas... but all-in-all Detroit is a great city. I lived in both Houston, and Fort Worth / Dallas TX for several years, as well as Chicago for about 3 months on business... and Detroit is about par with them, or any other "big city" I suppose.

PS -
I assure you... you're much safer "Downtown" than most of the surrounding neighborhoods after dark...lol Downtown Detroit is actually a pretty nice area!

I guess us City-Boys just see things a little different ;)

·
Angry Citizen
1,521 Posts

Just sayin'.

·
Just Some Dude...
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Cake said:

Just sayin'.
I Did not realize it was so high up the list (touche') but do not forget... thats also per capita!
BTW - Wasn't claiming Detroit was a "safe" city ;)
Just saying... it's not like people walk down the street in body armor, carrying AK's. That is the impression most people have.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Big Daddy said:
Any of you have a massive wait during your CCW process? In Michigan it's called a CPL...

Mine took like 3 months to get after the paperwork was all in... I thought that was FOREVER!
But I was just talking to a buddy, and in Wayne County, MI (Detroit) he's been waiting nearly 6 months!!!

Any other States/Counties with such a waiting game?
Not good! Look at this excerpt from Michigan's Firearms Law: (13) Subject to subsections (10) and (14), the concealed weapon licensing board shall issue or deny issuance of a license within 45 days after the concealed weapon licensing board receives the fingerprint comparison report provided under subsection (10). § 28.425b

The only thing that should hold up the application process is the fingerprint search by the FBI.

·
Just Some Dude...
1,142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
RevDerb said:
Not good! Look at this excerpt from Michigan's Firearms Law: (13) Subject to subsections (10) and (14), the concealed weapon licensing board shall issue or deny issuance of a license within 45 days after the concealed weapon licensing board receives the fingerprint comparison report provided under subsection (10). § 28.425b

The only thing that should hold up the application process is the fingerprint search by the FBI.
That is the EXACT excuse they use... "We're waiting on prints"

When I got my CCW it was the old fashioned "Ink & Splat" prints... my wifes were done in a CSI type of computer. The officer who took them even stated "Print searches are next to instant nowadays".

Everyone I know here in Michigan (at least Wayne County) say it has taken about 90 days... but 6 months??? come on!

·
Premium Member
1,032 Posts
In Connecticut mine took 3 and a half weeks but that may have changed, I know a guy who has been waiting over 3 months.

·
Registered
138 Posts
My wife and I turned our permit applications in at the same time. She got hers in 4 days, mine in 17.

I asked why the difference, the deputy said "She's a lot better looking that you are"

Hard to argue with that logic.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts