National Gun Forum banner

121 - 140 of 145 Posts

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #122
I went ahead and bought the Diamondback 6-24x50. I will use it for now. I will worry about the Strike Eagle later. On the hunt for scope mounts now. When I am in a better position I will move this one to a different rifle. It should be here Tuesday. I should have everything by then.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #124
This would have helped a little in the beginning since it compares the 2 scopes I was looking at.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #126
They both are FFP. Apparently my rifle was delivered but the guy who does the transfer is out so looks like Monday now.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Should either one work then. That Strike Eagle looks nice. Sucks on the rifle though.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #128
The thing that concerns me is zero at 200 yards. With the Diamondback, there is only 65 moa of adjustment. 32.5 up and 32.5 down. The rail is 30 moa so subtract that only leaves 2.5 moa of adjustment for zero and 62.5 moa for long range. That’s assuming everything is perfect.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #129
Ballistics calculator results for the ammo I have.

That’s 73.8 moa of adjustment needed at 1750 yards. That’s zeroed at 100

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #130
My scope and RPR 300 showed up today. No scope rings yet so I picked up a set of vortex hunter rings to tide me over until they show up.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #131
Went and got some vortex scope rings so I could get it together. The higher grade ones will be here in a couple days.

next to a 16” barrel led AR-15

Only thing I don’t care for on the scope is that the focus on the eye piece has to be screwed all the way in to clearly see the reticle at 24x magnification.
Even then, there is some distortion around the edges. I will see how that works at a distance tomorrow.

Don’t need to worry about scratching her up on the range, she came pre-scratched... so there’s a plus. Also missing the accessories bag from the box, the one with the pic rail for the bipod. Good thing I had extras. I’m going to guess it was a display model.

Still looking at 9 days estimated to pick up the .243 Axis

·
Aim true !
10,550 Posts
Looks good!

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #134
Ok, I’ve got a few min to give some more detail. First, this thing kicks like a baby gun. My AR-15 kicks that hard if not harder. Between the weight, the brake and the nice soft butt pad, a guy could not ask for a more pleasant shooting rifle.

For the zero, started shooting an old table top At 36. I adjusted the elevation the wrong direction. Adjusted Again, then adjusted the windage.

Moved back to 200, And switched to an old water heater. First shot was 9” high (Wow). Adjusted the wrong way again and shot 18” high. The next 5 were pictured.

·
Registered
875 Posts
With factory ammo I would be more than satisfied with that under those conditions.
Looks like you got a winner.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #139
The good news is, the vortex pro scope rings came in. The bad news is I got them a little tall. I was doing math on the 30 moa rail and the 56mm diameter of the lense. I was being conservative so I expected .2-.25” or so of gap. What I put on it is a 50mm and it looks like I could have gotten away with the next size shorter -.35” and been fine. I’m sure it’ll be fine just a bit higher above the bore than needed.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #140 (Edited)
Good new and bad news. Good news, I picked up the Savage yesterday. The bad news, it was not the Axis II as I expected. I couldn’t see the trigger due to the trigger lock and I made the assumption since it was the only one on the site, it had to be the same one (since they list out of stock guns as well), I was wrong. However, I am not upset. Whatever they did to the trigger in this, it is quite pleasant. Guessing, 3.5lbs max by comparing my other guns. Break is very clean, absolutely zero take up or creep. When I apply pressure to the trigger, it doesn’t move until it breaks. So, either they did something to improve the trigger in the Axis or I got very lucky. I’ll be sure to cover it close up when I review it.

121 - 140 of 145 Posts