National Gun Forum banner

101 - 120 of 145 Posts

·
Registered
875 Posts
Nope.
I put together. Well sort of. I bought the upper assembled from Delta Team Tactical. Got the 3lb drop in trigger from them as well. Already had the lower and other parts. Put a Luth-AR MBA-3 on it. Added a 1/8th thick neoprene pad to the cheek rest.
If Savage made the Axis ii Predator in the .224 Valkyrie, I would get one of those though.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #102
Was just curious. I had seen a few complaints similar to what you described. You know how it goes through, for every 100 satisfied that don’t say a word, there’s that 1 person will let the world know how bad it was.

Matter of fact, one of the 300 PRC videos I was watching, the guy went out of his way 2 or 3 times to remind everyone how bad it was.. here’s a screenshot of the banner at the top, lol

·
Registered
875 Posts
I got a lot of my reloading supplies and epquipment for the Valkyrie cheap from a friend that could not get his below 1.5moa.
A very good friend and I both bought the same target barrel in .223 Wylde, we know the owner of Ground Zero Precision and got a smoking deal. If I do my part, mine has shot a one hole group at 100 yards with 55gr Dogtowns and CFE223 powder. The best he got with his looked like a shotgun blast with buckshot. Horrible. He tried several powders and bullets. No go. They finally bought it back to see what is wrong with it.
One of my test loads in my barrel was so horrible that it would not even hit 8 1/2x 11 paper at 100 yards. 75gr ELDs . My Valkyrie seems to really like that bullet though.
I used to know a guy that built a high dollar target rifle for 300 yard matches. The only thing it would shoot accurate was Wolf steel case ammo. He was pissed.

·
Aim true !
10,550 Posts
My Mosin Nagant is like that guys high dollar rifle. It loves Tula steel case. Any others it has a spread on paper. Even with different hand loads. At least the Tula is cheap.

Reactions: Philmo11

·
Live Free
2,955 Posts
Should make a decent hunting rifle; they are typically good accurate shooters, and nothing wrong with .243. Hardwood model looks good too! Axis or Axis II?

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #109
From what I’m reading, with proper hand loads, it can rival the 6.5 at 500 in energy and drop. I’m sure that gap gets bigger the further you go out. Factory ammo seems to lack the power.

·
Aim true !
10,550 Posts
My son has a savage 243. Very nice shooter. Good to see you picked up one with the wood stock.

Reactions: Philmo11

·
Live Free
2,955 Posts
Should be great! Congrats! The original Axis line had pretty poor triggers, but the Axis II has their accu-trigger. I bought an Axis II in .223 a few years ago, one with the Tupperware stock, that I got for a real good price. I liked it so much (accurate), I dressed it in a Boyd’s stock.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Is that a heavy or heavy sport barrel. It looks a little heavy in that picture on my phone anyway.
Those are not bad rifles at all. Caliber either for that matter. Hand loading can make it better. I know a ton of folks that hunt with a .243. It ain't just a kids gun.
The many years I did Walmart Sporting Goods, I sold a ton of the Axis line. And a lot of them in .243.
And that is really good price for a wood stock. You done did good.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #114 (Edited)
Honestly didn’t pay a whole lot of attention to how heavy the barrel itself was. It’s got a nice overall heft to it though, guessing at 8-9lbs. They got a Springfield M1A with wood stock in and of course I had to handle it even though I’d already blew most my budget on that PRC. I’d love me an M1A but that’s another story. I was admiring the woodwork, handed it back to the gal behind the counter and just happened to catch this Axis way in the back of the rack by chance. After handling that $1400 M1A my expectations were fairly high. I asked to see it and really liked the look feel and smooth bolt. Woodwork was spot on. Action was great and when I saw the price I figured I couldn’t go wrong.

I will say this though, if the scope were even a few mm larger in diameter at the eye piece, you wouldn’t be able to throw the bolt. It cuts it that close. The bolt handle rubs the lense cover.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #115
I got a note from the shop I ordered the 300 from saying they were behind. They’d ship as soon as they could get to it. They are definitely not the fastest shop but prices on the 500 I bought earlier this year and this 300 can’t be beat. Think it took a little over 2 weeks last time before it actually shipped.

At least they had the curtesy to send me a note this time.

·
Registered
875 Posts
When you find a decent gun store, stick with them.
The only decently price one here, I have bought several from them, is now only open by appointment. The next closest is 65 miles away.

·
Live Free
2,955 Posts
As an encouragement, I was shooting my Creedmore yesterday at our 400yd steel plates (6”) and even in a quartering crosswind it was pretty easy. Since I started shooting 6.5 Creedmore I constantly am desiring longer ranges in which to shoot.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #118
I liked it so much (accurate), I dressed it in a Boyd’s stock.
Couple updates, first, just happened watching a review on the .243 Axis Hardwood and remembered this comment. That is a Boyd’s stock on it from the factory. Someone took one apart and it was stamped Boyd’s. Looking at the price on those stocks, I didn’t pay much more than the price of the stock for the entire gun so I’m happy with that.

Second, they finally charged my card for the 300 PRC so I’m guessing tomorrow (today I guess, it’s 3am) or Monday it’ll ship.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #120
Shipping update says it should arrive tomorrow. Too bad I don’t have my scope yet. Give me a chance to go through it with a fine tooth comb before I take it out I guess...

101 - 120 of 145 Posts