National Gun Forum banner

81 - 100 of 145 Posts

·
Registered
875 Posts
Or get the 6.5 and the better scope now and the 300 PRC and the same scope later.
It will do what you want and when you get the 300 Prc, it will be that much easier to transition too. And you still have a long range setup you can both use.
I have several friends that have 6.5 Creedmoors. I shot them once in a while. Under 400-500 yards gets boring quick. Once you are dialed in to there, 600-1000 yard shots are not really that hard unless there is a LOT of mirage or winds over 10-15mph.
Once you get used to it, I think it will surprise you.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #83
Or get the 6.5 and the better scope now and the 300 PRC and the same scope later.
It will do what you want and when you get the 300 Prc, it will be that much easier to transition too. And you still have a long range setup you can both use.
Going to use my brothers Creedmoor until I have mine. He brought it out 2 days ago and made sure the zero was still set.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #84 (Edited)
In the long run, for my magnum rifle, I think it was the right choice. Below is a very crude and basic comparison between the 338 Lapua and 300 WM and the 300 PRC. Supposed to have a longer barrel life than both. I just hope more ammo manufacturers start making rounds. Some guys are reporting 10+ reloads off the brass in the normal pressure ranges. Slowest moving bullet, highest bc, the longest transonic range and most remaining energy at 1,500 meters (1640 yds).

·
Registered
875 Posts
Going to use my brothers Creedmoor until I have mine. He brought it out 2 days ago and made sure the zero was still set.
Well that's nice of him. Me and my three boys are the only ones in my family to even own a gun.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #86
He’s a gun nut like us. He’ll be shooting with us. This venture has restored his excitement over his Creedmoor.

·
Registered
875 Posts
All the guys I shoot with have better stuff and make more than me. Some thing I know more than them, some they know far more than me. And I am the oldest by about 10 years. Sometimes they are amazed to see what I can do with simple inexpensive stuff versus the high dollar stuff. They do have some really cool stuff though. I like going to hunt camp or the shooting camp, 600 yards, and watching with new stuff. Like watching kids with new toys on Christmas. Some of the best friends I have ever had.
Of all the things they have that I don't, one of them does have 3 items I am totally jealous of though. 3 grand daughters ages 3-6 with really cute impish smiles.
I get along with my brother, but mostly not that good. Sounds like you and your brother have an awesome relationship. Hope the 3 of you have a lot of fun.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
I do ok but I’m not made of money by any stretch. If I were, I’d have a $5 or $10k rifle instead of this and I wouldn’t be selling my other guns to afford it. I have one of my brand new Springfield’s up for sale so I can buy that scope. It’s a $700 scope not a $2 or $3k piece of glass. It’s cool but still a modest setup compared to what it could be but I’ll push it as far as it’ll let me. As I said in the beginning of this post I said I only want to buy it once. The fact is, the 338 has been on my wish list for a very long time, I just found a better option along the way. Make no mistake, plenty of sacrifices are made so I can do stuff like this. Example, both our cars have 250k+ on them and we’ll drive them for several more years.

As for my brother, we grew up with only each other. This house in is #49. That’s after spending 18 years in my last house. We averaged 6mo in any given place, then we’d move again. So close, we ended up marrying a couple of sisters. If I lost him, It’d be like losing my soul.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #89
Ordered ammo from the only place that had any for $227 for 100 rds. That’s about what it would cost in a local shop if they had any. The Hornady die set I bought has a thing for 100 free bullets so that’ll save on the first 100 reloads so I’m only paying for powder and primers the first reload. If I get 10 reloads from the brass that’s 1000 rds for under $1000.

·
Registered
875 Posts
For ammo like that, not a bad price at at all. Nothing wrong with making a deal.
I have been lucky. The only guns I have needed to sell are ones I just got a deal on and bought for that purpose. Trade fodder.
I'm not a material person. I don't judge on what people have or don't have. What you make of what you have is more important. There is always something more to want. Those guys are all working guys. Not rich by any means. When we get together, there is only one thing that matters. We are together. Who has what means nothing.
Happiness isn't about what you have. It's about enjoying what you do have. No matter how much or how little that is.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
I know. I called them at like 1:00, got the email saying it shipped 4:18. When I checked the tracking number, it was already in transit.

Now if I can just get someone to over pay for my Springfield, I’ll go buy that scope, haha

·
Registered
875 Posts
I have not tried those. So far, my .223/5.56 and my .223 Wylde seem to like 55gr-75gr Sierra and Hornady HPs. And 56gr Dogtowns.
My Valkyrie likes the Sierra 65gr GK SPBT and Hornady 75gr ELD. Not too crazy about the ELD-M though.
I have been thinking of trying the A-MAX to get a heavier bullet that works better for past 600 yards. I have not tried a factory load over 75gr that is under 2 1/2 moa at 100 yds.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #96
“2 1/2 moa at 100 yds” :oops: !!! Wow that is bad! With factory wolf steel case ammo @55gr, I’ve never shot a group at 100 larger than .75 moa unless I was sighting the scope. That’s out of a cheap $429 DPMS. If you are hitting targets at 600, I’ll have to assume it’s not the shooter.

I chose to spend a little extra on these because of the BC. Between that and the weight it should sustain energy and stability well at a distance. They were normally $89 clearanced for $54. There are 4 more boxes I’d like to go back and get when my wallet recovers.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Sometimes it's the shooter. And I know it. I have bad lungs, and it's my fault. I make no excuses for it. I generally don't trust my results unless I can duplicate them on 2 different days. If I see someone at the range I know is a shooter, I may even let them try it just to compare results. I did that with the Valkyrie and they got the same results with the factory loads.
In theory, a factory round should shoot the same from gun to gun. But if they did, except where we could save money, we would not have much reason to reload. Theories are great, but don't always hold up in application.
Not many things are absolute. That's part of the fun.
I enjoy the process of trying to find the most accurate combination for each gun.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #98
I get the shakes sometimes when I haven’t had much sleep. Buddy came by to sight in his AR and wanted me to validate it. I got down, looked through the scope and realized I was shaking and stood up and told him, “not today “.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Yup. Done that. Or too much coffee and not enough water and food.
With my lungs, there is always a wobble. The better the glass, the more I see it. Over the years I have learned not to fight it though. But to try to embrace it and use it. To try to time the wobble on the shot. Sort of like timing it on the heart beat. On my really good days with the right glass I can clearly see it. For me, about 1/4-1/2 moa. It ain't much, but it is there.
Works better at times than others. Wobble can not be fought, but it can be used.
Trouble is, my bad days are coming faster together than they used to.

81 - 100 of 145 Posts