National Gun Forum banner

1 - 20 of 145 Posts

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting ready to sell of my LR-308 and apply that to something I can really reach out and touch someone with. More importantly, I want to get my son into some long range training. I can only get him out so far. I was wanting to do a 2 man team course next spring I have a place we can safely get out to 1300 yards and take turns spotting each other, at the end of the day, that's how we will be practicing at home. My equipment and experience is not without its limits and while I could take the task on myself, I would rather enjoy taking the course with him as a team than being the instructor. I think it would be more enjoyable for him.

I can take the winter and get him up to speed on the math required to be a spotter. I had him sit down one day and watch a crash course on it. I could see his eyes swimming. That is expected, he turns 12 tomorrow. Math I can do. Figure I can get him primed ahead of time with the foundations.

I have really been looking hard at the Ruger Precision 338 Lapua Magnum. I can pick one up for about $1600 before tax. Is there a better option to get him out to the 1320 - 1 mile mark? I am not rich by any means so I want to keep the rifle under $2000 if possible. I will work on the optic after the rifle is in hand. originally I was going to go with a 300 Win Mag due to the cost of ammo but I only want to have to buy this thing once. Since I have the equipment to reload, it may take some of the financial burden off as we go.

I am open to suggestions.

·
Aim true !
10,550 Posts
I don't know much about shooting far. But i have 2 338 lapua casings i found. They are huge compared to 30.06. I can only imagine the recoil ouch lol. I shot a 300 win mag. That was a hand full. It was fun though ill admit.

·
Registered
6,253 Posts
No need to go 338L....lots of other cartridges will carry you to 1300 and a mile. With the right bullets and good wind calls (key) you would be surprised at what most cartridges are capable of.

Long range and ELR (anything past 1200 I consider ELR) have to be learned to be proficient. It takes awhile as in years to become a good wind reader.

What state are you in? Find a quality entry level class near you and go.

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
I don't know anything about shooting past 100 yds. Im a Ruger man so I say yea go with the stock precision rifle. If you want to spend real money you can think about building what you want after you know what that is.

The 338 Lapua is a proven cartridge and I believe it has the record distance of a confirmed kill in Iraq. You won't find too many people that tell you its a bad combo. They might have opinions on better options. If they tell you its no good then stay as far away as you can hit them with a 338 lapua.

·
Live Free
2,955 Posts
Maybe I am not reading this right, but Phil, it sounds like you and your 12 year old son are going to trade off shooting whatever long range rifle you choose...and you are considering a 338 Lapua? That is real recoil! Even with a brake. Maybe consider starting him out with a little more user friendly cartridge?

I guess the brake might make it okay for him...still, that is a lot of rifle!😳

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Maybe I am not reading this right, but Phil, it sounds like you and your 12 year old son are going to trade off shooting whatever long range rifle you choose...and you are considering a 338 Lapua? That is real recoil! Even with a brake. Maybe consider starting him out with a little more user friendly cartridge?
No you read that right. I’m looking at the RPR. From what I’ve heard, and this is only hearsay, the recoil on this rifle is much less than expected. It’s 15.2lbs bare bones. The brake on that thing is enormous. I guess if I go that big and it’s too much recoil, I’ll have to step it down.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
6,253 Posts
No you read that right. I’m looking at the RPR. From what I’ve heard, and this is only hearsay, the recoil on this rifle is much less than expected. It’s 15.2lbs bare bones. The brake on that thing is enormous. I guess if I go that big and it’s too much recoil, I’ll have to step it down.

I've shot many 338L's, including pulling the trigger on just a barreled action for test purposes....recoil isn't bad with a brake....but it's not for a 12yo either IMO.

How often will you realistically be able to shoot 1300-1700? If the answer isn't often, then look at something smaller...300wm, 300wsm,7wm. these are more cost effective round for distance and time spent. A 338L eats powder like candy at 90-100+grs per round depending on the type of powder used. Brass and bullets are much higher.....given to climate reloading components are hard to come by right now.

Even a 6.5Creed will go 1600m (depending on elevation and temp) before going sub-sonic with a Berger [email protected] saying. 🤷‍♂️

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have access to a howa precision 6.5 is needed. As for how often will I be able to, my father-in-laws place is big enough for us to go 1,300. There is a family trust farm my brother hunts every year, it’s got approximately 1 mile of range. Both are about 30 min from me and both have elevated shooting from a hill and clear shots 1/2 the year. Basically, shooting into the ground. The other half of the year, crops are in. How often is really dependent on how motivated I am. We are actually there every Sunday. That’s where I was shooting at before I built my range.

·
Registered
6,253 Posts
I have access to a howa precision 6.5 is needed. As for how often will I be able to, my father-in-laws place is big enough for us to go 1,300. There is a family trust farm my brother hunts every year, it’s got approximately 1 mile of range. Both are about 30 min from me and both have elevated shooting from a hill and clear shots 1/2 the year. Basically, shooting into the ground. The other half of the year, crops are in. How often is really dependent on how motivated I am. We are actually there every Sunday. That’s where I was shooting at before I built my range.
That's awesome and looks like a great place to shoot....start out on the 6.5creed and go from there. Build or buy some steel targets that you can move around. Being able to spot hits is critical, if you miss... Get your feet wet and see if it's something you really want to commit to. Shooting LR generally isn't cheap and espically not when you wanna start shooting small waaaaaayyy out there consistently.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have basically shot as far as I feel comfortable with that 308. Its time to move up to something that shoots a little flatter. I have 22" silhouettes on hangers that we move around as is.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I didn't mention it before, but the wife's uncle has another 1200 acres that starts about a mile and a half from where this farm ends. I haven't asked for permission yet. He just bought his first AR. I need to go out and spend some time getting him on the right path. He has been through 2 scopes already he cant get zero'd in. I am thinking its not the scopes.

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I think I have the LR-308 sold. Got his cleared background and deposit. Guess it’s still possible he’ll back out but I’ve started looking.

Going to need a glass, so there’s that too.

·
Registered
541 Posts
338 Lapua will take you way out. And ruin shooting for your son.

It's too.much, too soon. 225 grs at 3000 fps in a 10 lbs rifle delivers 37 ft lbs of recoil energy. Compare that to 30-06 180 grs at 2700 fps in a 8 lbs rifle delivering 20 ft lbs of recoil energy. That is the top end of recoil for a lot of grown men.

He may be a grand little fellow who will tough it out for his Dad. But there's no way that it does anything but turn him off shooting, taking that kind of a beating.

At this stage, he should be working on technique and wind doping with 22lr and shooting 223 with you out as far as it will reach. The 224 Valkyrie will take you out to 1000 yards. That's no mean feat. And 75 grs at 3,000 fps in a 7.5 lbs rifle? About 4 ft lbs of recoil energy.

Give him some time to develop the skills and fill out a little bit. Make sure he's having fun, and you guys will be shooting together as.long as you can. Put him behind that 338 Lapua now and he'll be lost to shooting, if not now then soon after.

·
Registered
1,477 Posts
Ah, gravity, that thing science knows little about but effects just about a try thing we do. What hasn't been mentioned in this thread is BC (Ballistic coefficent) of bullets and how much that has improved in the past 10 or so years which helps flatten the curve on a lot of calibers. I would not be giving up on the .308 with bullet BC's in .6 or .7 range you can get a lot more reach.

·
Registered
130 Posts
I am a long distance shooter. If you are just banging targets, why ruin shooting for your son with a 338L? We shoot things as small as a 6.5 Grendel out to 1200 m. In fact I shoot both the 6.5 Grendel and the 6.5 Creed out there with the people that shoot the 338. The last shootout I attended was won with a Grendel! He made a 1000m moving target shot. None of the 338 did that. In fact my favorite long range rifle is my 1874 Sharps, and it is a 2 7/8X45 or the 45-110 (Matthew Quigley) caliber. Now that is a kick in the pants to shoot.

1 - 20 of 145 Posts