National Gun Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for input on a storage option for about a dozen long guns.

• 1. The house is extremely small so huge gun safes or cabinets are not an option. Even the wall mount lockers would be a tough fit.
  • 2. There are no children in the house, nor do they visit.
  • 3. It must be secured, lockable, or hidden storage. Closets are not an option as we barely have room for clothing in them now.
  • 4. These firearms are not used for home protection (we have a solution for our handguns); they will be stored for long periods of time between use so accessibility is not a major concern.

I am considering using the attic space (accessing via the ceiling panel) but am wondering about rust or other issues that might be encountered with that. I'd like to build a box of some sort up there next to the access panel to keep them all in one spot and out of the blown insulation. The house is in Alaska so we do have extreme cold but low humidity. I thought of building the box out of Sheetrock for a small degree of fire retardant...or putting a light-weight wall mount locker up there. My primary goal for security is not that it be impenetrable (simply b/c I don't think it's possible with the limited space) but that it not be obvious that there are guns in the house.

So, what are your thoughts on climate concerns in an attic box?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Do not use attic space. It gets hottern hell in an attic. The furniture on your guns will be ruined.
My solution is to rent off premises storage, climate controlled. I have a good quality safe. You need to remember that insurance is expensive. My homeowners only covers $2,500 for theft but does not have a limit on fire, windstorm, etc- except for the 10% off premises coverage, Since I have $200,000 personal property coverage, I have $20,000 off premises. The excess I insure through the NRA with good rates.
Remember, a person can't steal what is not known. Only a select few trusted friends know where my off premises guns are located. A thief would have to penetrate a secure warehouse, find and penetrate my storage area, then defeat my good quality safe.
Nothing in this life is certain except death and taxes. Do the best you can.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
whompuss said:
...Do not use attic space. It gets hottern hell in an attic. The furniture on your guns will be ruined....
Remember, a person can't steal what is not known...
I'm from the south so I completely understand about attic heat. However, I don't believe the attics in Alaska get that hot...how hot is too hot? We don't even have air conditioning...

You hit the heart of it...I don't want anyone knowing where the guns are and I don't want to keep them in the usual places (closet, under bed, obvious gun cabinet).

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
I assume you are storing the guns in your closet currently. You can clean them well, put a light coat of gun grease in the barrels, and store them in the silicone socks. That a cheap solution.

How about the gun lockers that fit between the studs in your closet. They will not take up any space that you have currently and they are lockable. Remove the top coat of Sheetrock and they attach to the studs, must be 16" on center, of course. Use the storing suggestions in the above paragraph, gun grease, etc.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Can anybody tell me where to find those in-wall lockers? I have searched the web but have only found those for handguns.

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
1 - 6 of 6 Posts