National Gun Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
In a quest to find the balance between comfort and power, I’ve settled at 1800 ft lbs with Lil’ Gun. Loaded 110 I think. I could load much hotter but I don’t have a need identified yet. If the world get any crazier I may change my mind to have some on hand. Never know when you might need to stop a truck, right?

Load book shows +4gr = +800 lbs of energy but I can’t get my chrono to clock them that hot. There is a very noticeable difference +4gr though. Primers are pretty darn flat after firing but that’s to be expected. Most factory ammo I’ve bought benches in between 1100 and 1300. There are hotter but you’ll pay $3-$4/rd.

I’ve got cowboy rounds settled in around 900 lbs so these are 2x the power. I’ve got enough powder to load another 50 then I may switch to something else and try. I still need to buy some red boxes to make it extremely obvious what they are before I go any hotter. For now, I’ve just got labels so the unsuspecting person doesn’t get a surprise. I just need to let the wife know to look for the labels if she intends to shoot this beast (it could happen). Last time she thought someone was screwing around outside, she grabbed the biggest pistol in the safe 😂. They aren’t super powerful but more than enough for a double tap if you aren’t expecting it.

·
Registered
6,422 Posts
interesting......have you given thought to trail boss?

Reactions: Philmo11

·
Registered
13,548 Posts
Have you ever tried Accurate 1680 powder in that 500? It's one i use for the 454 Casul with cat bullet. I would call it a semi stout load but pretty easy on the hand recoil wise. Pretty sure it's lists all the big hand cannon calibers on the bottle like 454, 460 500 etc.

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No I haven’t. I choose lil’ gun because of the high output and low pressure. I haven’t started looking yet but will keep it in mind.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts