National Gun Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of my mags are loaded, some are not

I'm going to load them all (handgun and rifle mags) --over the next week or so as time permits -- then see how long it takes me / how many range trips it takes to empty them all

Of course I'll also bring some rifles each time that have internal mags... They need a workout too

And... Can't forget about revolvers...

I may actually create a log and track which guns I shoot on what date

Maybe I have too much time on my hands

·
Salmon Slayer
984 Posts
I preload all my mags. Long guns with built in mags i don't. It's illegal in Pa to have a loaded long gun in the vehicle. I think it's a dumb law. It's supposed to because of poachers.
Thats why 3 of my AR’s are pistols and legal to carry loaded anywhere. 2 are 5.56 and one is 300BLK (my favorite).

·
Live Free
4,361 Posts
I really like loading mags before I hit the range. It is hot and sunny typically, so I would rather be shooting more than loading mags. Most all my handguns have four or more mags and I have a bundle of 1911 mags that are happy in several different guns. Depending on what I am shooting, I can go a little while before I have to reload…:)

·
Registered
903 Posts

I'm going to load them all (handgun and rifle mags) --over the next week or so as time permits -- then see how long it takes me / how many range trips it takes to empty them all

Of course I'll also bring some rifles each time that have internal mags... They need a workout too

You have too much time on your hands.

·
Registered
21 Posts

If you are like me and tried to make it in one trip then you would have to figure in how many trips to and from the house to my vehicle then the same number when you get to the range and calculate if there was enough time left in the day to do very much actual shooting. I know I could get all I own into my vehicle but there would also have to be figured into the time what it would take to wrap or case them so they would not be damaged. How many magazines can one go through in the half hour left at the range while it is still open?

·
Premium Member
2,311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If you are like me and tried to make it in one trip then you would have to figure in how many trips to and from the house to my vehicle then the same number when you get to the range and calculate if there was enough time left in the day to do very much actual shooting. I know I could get all I own into my vehicle but there would also have to be figured into the time what it would take to wrap or case them so they would not be damaged. How many magazines can one go through in the half hour left at the range while it is still open?
Multiple range visits over next few months is what I had in mind ;)

Reactions: Stubby

·
Registered
71 Posts
I tried loading all of the magazines for my Beretta 96 Brigadier Border Marshal before I got to the indoor shooting range, since you pay to rent your lane by the half hour. I figured that I didn't want to waste time reloading the magazines, so I loaded up all of the magazines for it...all 22 of them. Since this was only my second time shooting a gun, (I bought it new some 25 years earlier when the government was making noises about making it harder to get a gun, so I figured I'd better get one...just in case) I didn't know the downside of shooting that many magazines. After about the 12th magazine, the gun was getting too hot to hold. I had to set it down for a few minutes to let it cool off a bit, but by the 22nd magazine, I just left it alone and stopped shooting. Now I know better.:)

Trigger Air gun Gun barrel Gun accessory Metal

·
Last Stand on Earth
5,774 Posts
I do not have near as many guns as some of the members in this post. I stopped taking more than a couple to the range at a time, due to the cleaning time afterwards. I find it more pleasant to only have to clean 2 to 3 guns and find myself doing a better job, than if I had more.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
You need one of these…
Font Metal Gun accessory Auto part Wood

by the time you get to cleaning #3, you got a good rhythm down 😂

·
Registered
903 Posts
I do not have near as many guns as some of the members in this post. I stopped taking more than a couple to the range at a time, due to the cleaning time afterwards. I find it more pleasant to only have to clean 2 to 3 guns and find myself doing a better job, than if I had more.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
You don't have to clean them all on the same day. That said, I don't take many because too many guns, for me, diminishes the quality of the practice time on each one. I hate cleaning guns too but I do keep them clean.

·
Registered
4,269 Posts
You don't have to clean them all on the same day. That said, I don't take many because too many guns, for me, diminishes the quality of the practice time on each one. I hate cleaning guns too but I do keep them clean.
Not trying to hijack or open a can of worms but only going to comment other threads and other forums where they come out of the woodwork to proudly proclaim all guns get cleaned immediately after each range trip or usage.

·
Registered
4,269 Posts
My views on magazines have evolved over the years. I try to test all my mags and make sure they all operate flawlessly. If not I try to find out why and attempt to clean, adjust or repair them to get them to operate properly. If they don't it still pains me to do it but they get trashed.

Magazines that don't work are a liability even the expensive ones. I used to tag them and make notes like range use only. Only load [capacity -2], weak spring. The thought of me lying in a pool of my own blood with a loaded gun with a magazine with "range use only" or "intermittent" written on the side I didn't see or 'accidently' using it reminds me of the saying "penny wise and pound foolish."

What is my life worth? It's worth the inconvenience of reloading the same mag because the other one got tossed. Until if and when I decide to buy quality spare mags. There is a lot that can go wrong if you can minimize one variable I say you're better off. Life is complicated enough..

You may even want to load all your mags and shoot them all till empty. Repeat if necessary. Wish I thought of that.

·
Registered
903 Posts
My views on magazines have evolved over the years. I try to test all my mags and make sure they all operate flawlessly. If not I try to find out why and attempt to clean, adjust or repair them to get them to operate properly. If they don't it still pains me to do it but they get trashed.

Magazines that don't work are a liability even the expensive ones. I used to tag them and make notes like range use only. Only load [capacity -2], weak spring. The thought of me lying in a pool of my own blood with a loaded gun with a magazine with "range use only" or "intermittent" written on the side I didn't see or 'accidently' using it reminds me of the saying "penny wise and pound foolish."

What is my life worth? It's worth the inconvenience of reloading the same mag because the other one got tossed. Until if and when I decide to buy quality spare mags. There is a lot that can go wrong if you can minimize one variable I say you're better off. Life is complicated enough..

You may even want to load all your mags and shoot them all till empty. Repeat if necessary. Wish I thought of that.
You could use revolvers to accomplish the same things and not worry about magazines. I use both partly for that purpose. I also like revolvers more than pistols so I get to eat my cake and have it too.

·
Last Stand on Earth
5,774 Posts

Sound advice… only takes one jam. I have a bucket in the gun room they now go in (the trash). Had that same thought cross my mind a few times.
Wood Font Symmetry Metal Steel

1 - 19 of 19 Posts