National Gun Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello,

I am new to the forums and i was hoping one of you could help me. I have a Llama MicroMax 380 and i want to buy a new clip for it because it jams on me. I had a lot of trouble releasing the clip when i shot the last round at the gun range. The was stuck in there some how. Does this gun take recessed clip? Non-recessed clip?

Which clip should i buy and what site has the best quality/price? I will provide a better picture if the picture isn't HQ enough as im at work and dont have it here with me (Duh! :lol: )

I've been looking at the following sites:

Llama 380ACP magazine MicroMax

and the one on e-bay here:

RARE Genuine Factory Original Llama 380 ACP Auto 7 RD Pistol Magazine Mag Clip | eBay

The ebay description sais it is for a "Model IIIA Pistol"... How would i find this information out?

Thanks in advance my 2nd Amendment Friends!

·
Grand Imperial Poobah
22,954 Posts
Just an FYI, you want a MAGAZINE, not a clip.

1175629178860.jpg

It's hard to tell for sure from the photo, but It looks like you have a non-recessed model of magazine.

BTW, Welcome from NC!

Reactions: AndroidPro

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Just an FYI, you want a MAGAZINE, not a clip.

View attachment 9656

It's hard to tell for sure from the photo, but It looks like you have a non-recessed model of magazine.

BTW, Welcome from NC!
HAHA Thanks for the info man and the Welcome! I never stated i knew all the little details. Good to know, i'll edit the posting now.

Tell me... Recessed means that the but of the clip doesn't come out much, right? and Non-Recessed means it kind of juts out a bit? Or visa-versa?

Sorry but i AM a noob. I can shoot. But can't tell you how to fix one, lol.

·
Grand Imperial Poobah
22,954 Posts
Recessed means the bottom of the magazine is flush even with the bottom of the grip. If you looked at the pistol's profile, you won't see the magazine sticking out of the grip.
Non-recessed means the bottom of the magazine sticks out from the bottom of the grip. And if you looked at the profile, you'll see the bottom of the magazine.

BTW, all of us here started out knowing nothing about firearms (except for Popeye and Armarin, which have firearm knowledge encoded in their DNA) and we took the time to study, learn and ask questions. Remember the only dumb question is the one not asked.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Recessed means the bottom of the magazine is flush even with the bottom of the grip. If you looked at the pistol's profile, you won't see the magazine sticking out of the grip.
Non-recessed means the bottom of the magazine sticks out from the bottom of the grip. And if you looked at the profile, you'll see the bottom of the magazine.

BTW, all of us here started out knowing nothing about firearms (except for Popeye and Armarin, which have firearm knowledge encoded in their DNA) and we took the time to study, learn and ask questions. Remember the only dumb question is the one not asked.
So basically.... recessed and non recessed is a matter of preference or performance?

·
Grand Imperial Poobah
22,954 Posts
So basically.... recessed and non recessed is a matter of preference or performance?
Just guessing, I believe Llama changed the grip length between the older and newer models. If you took a older (recessed) magazine and tried to use it in a newer (non-recessed) pistol the magazine would be slightly too short to lock in place and the pistol wouldn't be able to extract a round. As I said, this is just a guess because I'm not familiar with Llama firearms.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It jams on you because it's Llama. They're unreliable junk. A new "clip" won't change that.
I agree with you but i'm sure it will help improve it after an hour dedicated to cleaning and oiling it properly.

Honestly (Maybe because its the first gun i've owned) i like the Beretta 92FS. Especially the newer model with the sand resistant clips.

A military veteran said those are crap, though, and recommended some form of SIG.

I prefer 9mm or small due to higher capacity and reduced kick (better aim) when compared to something like a .45 or .60. Not to mention the price of the ammo.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just guessing, I believe Llama changed the grip length between the older and newer models. If you took a older (recessed) magazine and tried to use it in a newer (non-recessed) pistol the magazine would be slightly too short to lock in place and the pistol wouldn't be able to extract a round. As I said, this is just a guess because I'm not familiar with Llama firearms.
How, exactly, would i find out if i have the newer model or older model? All it sais on it is Llama Micromax 380 and nothing else...

Also i'm still unclear if you guys are recommending recessed or un-recessed.

So does the non-recessed stick out a bit from the bottom because the top part of the magazine doesn't go up in to the handle as far? If so, this might be best for me being when i went to the range with it had trouble releasing the clip.

What is the technical explanation of:

Recessed being flush with the bottom of the grip versus non-recessed.

Knowing this information will make me more informed before making a final decision and ordered. I want the one that will jam less and work the best because as "Win231" stated, i dont think llama's are up there when it comes to quality.

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
I agree with you but i'm sure it will help improve it after an hour dedicated to cleaning and oiling it properly.

Honestly (Maybe because its the first gun i've owned) i like the Beretta 92FS. Especially the newer model with the sand resistant clips.

A military veteran said those are crap, though, and recommended some form of SIG.

I prefer 9mm or small due to higher capacity and reduced kick (better aim) when compared to something like a .45 or .60. Not to mention the price of the ammo.
Uh...well, perhaps you have a lot to learn; which is perfectly OK.

A cheaply-made gun does not jam because of improper cleaning & oiling. It jams because of poorly-fitted parts made of cheap materials, using a cheap manufacturing process & lack of quality control & final inspection & testing, which results in premature parts breakage. That's how the price is kept low.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Uh...well, perhaps you have a lot to learn; which is perfectly OK.

A cheaply-made gun does not jam because of improper cleaning & oiling. It jams because of poorly-fitted parts made of cheap materials, using a cheap manufacturing process & lack of quality control & final inspection & testing, which results in premature parts breakage. That's how the price is kept low.
Yes of course, but i know cleaning and oiling helps as well. It is an older gun but since i got i why not get it nice and maybe sell it for something better? :wink:

So 9mm pistol, quality wise, what brand would you choose? Sig?Beretta?

·
Registered
2,025 Posts
Yes of course, but i know cleaning and oiling helps as well. It is an older gun but since i got i why not get it nice and maybe sell it for something better? :wink:

So 9mm pistol, quality wise, what brand would you choose? Sig?Beretta?
When you're talking in the league of Sig, Beretta, Springfield XD, Glock, or HK, it comes down to which one fits your hand the best. Reliability wise, they're pretty much the same. Durability wise, I'd go for Sig, HK, XD, or Glock.

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
54,413 Posts
Possibly, the best 'blast for the buck' pistol chambered in 9x19mm is the CZ-75.

Reactions: larry

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the recommendations.

Next one I get will probably get a sig of some type. Lots of people that I feel know their stuff when it comes to pistols have recommended SIG but I agree with having to consider the feel of it in your hand as well.

My main thing is durability. I've put 1000 rounds or more through it in one sitting before my 92fs jammed even once. That's why I like it. It's the only one I've actually used much and have experience with. That and the SW9VE but didn't like nothing about that one much except the price.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

After doing some research it looks like the magazines are the same for the Llama MicroMax 380 and the I,II, III, and IIIA models...

Looks like the IIIA was replaced by the "Micro-Max" per Llama Wikipedia which is the "Latest" model so, correct me if i'm wrong, the same magazine should fit for all models?? I say that because at gunpartscorp.com the part number is the same for all three. So as long as i get that exact one i should be fine. I just have to find a place that has them in stock for a decent price.

$51 for a used one on e-bay (Here) is too much for me. Even if that is an OEM part its too much for a used one, don't you think?

·
Registered
2 Posts
To describe all Llamas as junk is woefully incorrect, they did have quality control issues particularly in the eighties but a lot of their pistols are great shooters. Your Micro Max is one of the last of the small frame guns and normally are quite reliable, I have five or six of them in chrome, blue and ceracoat. I would take the pistol to a gunsmith as it may be a recoil spring or feed ramp issue rather than a magazine. By the way factory Llama mags are quite well made and have few problems if in good shape. I hope this has offered some assistance as calling something junk offers nothing constructive with regard to the problem.

·
Registered
9,127 Posts
I feel for anyone who tries to justify the quality of a Llama. Take Popeyes advice buy the CZ75 Berretta and Sig are great as well and find a sucker for the Llama. Maybe Ibmikey will buy it.

·
Registered
6,332 Posts
Magazines with satin chrome floor plate were sold under Llama factory part number 10032.
Magazines with a blued steel floor plate were sold under Llama factory part number 10026.
Llama 380ACP magazine MicroMax

Micro Max- This model was the last of the small frame guns. Blowback operated. Made from 1996 to 2005.
The removal of the rib and the addition of the round hammer, beavertail and front sight were the three changes made to the IIIA to make it a Micro.
The gun below was made in 2004 as can be noted by the last two digits of what you think is the serial number. Only the five numbers in the middle are the serial.
llamapage

·
Registered
2 Posts
I feel for anyone who tries to justify the quality of a Llama. Take Popeyes advice buy the CZ75 Berretta and Sig are great as well and find a sucker for the Llama. Maybe Ibmikey will buy it.
I just joined this forum today, I did not know it was for children. Just deleted from my computer, thanks.

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
54,413 Posts
Usually, its thin-skinned children who take their toys and run home to mommy.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts