G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Romanian AK-47 & DPMS AR-15 lower until i save up for the upper

been awhile since my last visit to this site i have to change my sig

·
Ruler of Ramnation
1,013 Posts
Disregarding the first one---since it's not a complete (firearm), the rest look very nice. I've been a firearm forum member for a while, and on several forums now. The term guns is starting to annoy me a little bit. I'd like the forum members here to attempt to tell me why I feel this way. My terms relating to firearms are---firearms (all firearms in general), revolver, pistol, rifle, and shotgun. Maybe there is something from way back in my rather short military career that begs of me not to ever term firearms as guns. I'm by no means an extensively educated man, but I view the term 'guns' as a somewhat improper term and maybe an English slang. Remember---this was re-enforced in the military that I never had a 'gun' but a rifle. "This is my rifle, this is my gun----this one's for killing, this one's for fun". Am I off base here? AWOL? Am I expecting too much? "Hey man---I got a gun!" OR "Listen----I've got a pistol here!" Until further notice from the forum in general, I'll continue to think of the term 'gun' as an unacceptable, incomplete, slang generalization of firearms as a whole. I thank you for any input, but the truth be told---you're either with me or against me. LOL!

·
Right Wing Zealot
1,228 Posts
Ram Rod said:
Disregarding the first one---since it's not a complete (firearm), the rest look very nice. I've been a firearm forum member for a while, and on several forums now. The term guns is starting to annoy me a little bit. I'd like the forum members here to attempt to tell me why I feel this way. My terms relating to firearms are---firearms (all firearms in general), revolver, pistol, rifle, and shotgun. Maybe there is something from way back in my rather short military career that begs of me not to ever term firearms as guns. I'm by no means an extensively educated man, but I view the term 'guns' as a somewhat improper term and maybe an English slang. Remember---this was re-enforced in the military that I never had a 'gun' but a rifle. "This is my rifle, this is my gun----this one's for killing, this one's for fun". Am I off base here? AWOL? Am I expecting too much? "Hey man---I got a gun!" OR "Listen----I've got a pistol here!" Until further notice from the forum in general, I'll continue to think of the term 'gun' as an unacceptable, incomplete, slang generalization of firearms as a whole. I thank you for any input, but the truth be told---you're either with me or against me. LOL!
I grew up shooting toy 'guns' cap 'guns', etc. So that is where I think I first got used to it...has always been that way. Even in law enforcement it is acceptable and common ex:
Officer: "send me a cover officer, I got two down at gunpoint"
Disptach: "units respond to cover 461, he has 2 out at gunpoint"
or
Dispatch: "S.O. units, have a report of a man with a gun at Piggly Wiggly...10-0 caution"

No one inserts 'firearm' in there. Maybe it is slang...when we got ready for a raid, we would always 'strap your guns on' and go...I think maybe its just the military connotation you have with it.

Besides, where I come from...we say 'Get Your Guns Up'...right TX1911?

The great Bobby Knight

·
Texas Legal Gunslinger
3,531 Posts
Give 'em hell big red!

That being said, "gun" is just the vernacular, or slang. It's been around longer than any of us. In the old days, you never heard about pistol slingers or firearms slingers, but rather gunslingers. It's an over-broad generalization, but one that is deeply rooted in our history, like it or not.

·
Ruler of Ramnation
1,013 Posts
Yeah---but there's just the difference in 'Tales of the Gun' and my firearms.
thanks for hijacking my thread
No problem. I guess it's not my first time.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Yeah---but there's just the difference in 'Tales of the Gun' and my firearms.

No problem. I guess it's not my first time.
I'm sorry but I find that kinda ridiculous that you would come ruin someones thread for a useless argument such as that. I think you need to find something better to do with your time. BTW, I think ATF might disagree with you about the AR lower being a firearm. I seem to remember having to register my AR lower when I bought it.

Anyway back on subject..... Those are some great looking rifles, I would love to own that AK!!

-Derek

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
thank you very much derek

a black stock and a AR style grip and ill be done with the AK

-David

·
Big Gun Enthusiast
420 Posts
yeah i see what you mean....unless im looking at a picture of alot of firearms, in which case i'll say "nice guns!" i usually say firearm instead of gun and cartridge or round instead of bullet.

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
55,659 Posts
BTW, I think ATF might disagree with you about the AR lower being a firearm. I seem to remember having to register my AR lower when I bought it.
The serialized part, the frame, is considered to be a firearm by the ATF. Everything else is merely a collection of parts.

·
Texas Legal Gunslinger
3,531 Posts
Bulgatti, the AR looks great! Way to go!!!!!

·
love the UK envy the US
785 Posts
the ar looks a nice piece of kit post some pics of it when its complete and post a bit in "a day at the range" so we can hear how they shoot

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
range day is coming im trying to get some guys together to go with and have some fun

thanks guys

1 - 15 of 15 Posts