National Gun Forum banner

Limp wristing

3K views 17 replies 13 participants last post by  Alan R McDaniel Jr 
#1 ·
Would a Glock 26 be harder to limpwrist than a 19 or a 17? Seems like it would because in the smaller frame it would have more snap to it.

#11 ·
I understand it had to do with the grip and I also understand how it happens but from the research I have done it seems like a lot of it has to do with the gun as well. Military Arms Channel did a good vid on it showing how it is much harder if not impossible to limp wrist the heavier framed guns like the Sig and CZ he showed.

#3 ·
Popeye is correct. But if your asking does the 26 have more felt recoil than the 19 or 17 then yes is does. The smaller the gun the more felt recoil. That is true with any gun not just Glock. More weight always has less felt recoil. Also the smaller grip makes it harder to control the recoil. Just because you have less to grab a hold of.

#5 · (Edited)
I wrote a program a few years back that calculates recoil energy and velocity (along with muzzle energy). I'm not sure that I can past it here successfully. Anyway, here goes:

file:///F:/Gary's%20Saved%20Data/My%20Programs%20(Excel,%20etc)/General%20Programs/ballisticcalculator.html

Just copy and paste in browser. It should retrieve the HTML code. If it runs, just estimate powder weight for commercial ammo. Powder gasses contribute to recoil.

#8 ·
I wrote a program a few years back that calculates recoil energy and velocity (along with muzzle energy). I'm not sure that I can past it here successfully. Anyway, here goes:

file:///F:/Gary's%20Saved%20Data/My%20Programs%20(Excel,%20etc)/General%20Programs/ballisticcalculator.html

Just copy and paste in browser. It should retrieve the HTML code. If it runs, just estimate powder weight for commercial ammo. Powder gasses contribute to recoil.
You tried to post a file that is on your local F: drive. It made it to the post on your computer because you have access to the file. It didn't make it to the forum because it doesn't have access to the file and you don't want that.

#6 ·
If you are have a problem with limp wristing get yourself a tennis ball squeeze it for exercise. You are building up the fore arm muscles and grip muscles in you hands. Be sure to work out with both hands. There is no good reason to be half a pistol shooter.

#9 ·
This! And if you have small hands, try using a racquetball instead.

#10 · (Edited)
Not to pick on you but you asked a question. The premise of your question is incorrect but to answer it as accuratly as possible as is: No. It would be easier to limp wrist it not harder as you surmised. "Limp wristing" is the term used to describe not holding the gun firmly in place enough so the slide can function properly.

The delayed blowback needs the interaction between the two parts to function properly. One moves (the slide) and one is immobile (the frame). Limp wristing allows the frame to move thus interfereing with the relative movement of the slide. Enough movement (limp wristing) and the ejection of the spent round or chambering of the new round will not occur.

The lighter the gun -- the more felt recoil there is
The smaller the gun -- the harder it is to grip firmly.

Both of these occuring either seperatly or together increases the chances of limp wristing.

There will be no "limp wristing" phenomina with a firm grip on a compact gun that does not allow it to move. That's why I didn't agree with the premise of your question. There is no direct connection but a causal relationship.

Reactions: Popeye
#13 ·
I probably should add this. I own a Glock 17 and a Glock 26 and the recoil from both of them is minimal for a 9mm. Don't yet own a 19 but it falls between the 2 others in size and weight so it also wouldn't present any significant recoil. None of the 3 Glock 9mm's you mention should be a contributor to a shooting problem.

#17 · (Edited)
I noticed in my desert shooting trips that after a set count of expended rounds with a .45 auto - usually 300 to 250 rounds - I would begin to experience an occasional "stove-pipe" or failure to "chamber". From experience I knew "shooting fatigue" was setting in, and if I wanted to continue shooting and eliminate these glitches, I needed to be more aware of my offering resistance to the firearm recoil than acting like a shock absorber, aka "limp wristing".

Limp wristing has its detrimental effects on revolver shooting as well. This is a relaxing of the wrist in anticipation of recoil and it totally eliminates "follow through" at the time if hammer fall.

#18 ·
The guy who taught me to shoot a pistol was an Army Ordinance Officer and shot on the Army Pistol team. That instruction called for the middle, ring and little fingers of the gripping hand wrapped securely around the grip. The rear of the grip was held securely in the web of the hand (activating the safety) and the thumb "rested" along side the action below the line of the slide. I was not to ever grip with the thumb. On the first 1911 I shot extensive I experienced some stove piping. this was due to a weak spring and not a relaxed grip.

If I just had to touch the weapon with my off hand I could set my palm directly under the mag well.

I don't know the rightness or wrongness of this method but I can hit what I'm aiming at.

A 1911 in 45 ACP is somewhat unforgiving of those who will not hold on to the damn thing.

Alan

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.