National Gun Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's one of my VERY MOST FAVORITE OF ALL TIMES GUNS TO SHOOT!!! Honestly, I could shoot ours all day long - and have - and go out looking for more ammo for tomorrow! Make a note of this if you are in the market for one!

A heads up/reminder that Underwood Carbine orders are accepted starting Sep. 4

CMP is accepting Underwood M1 Carbines starting Sep. 4th (next Tuesday). So, just a little heads up here if it had slipped your mind and want one.

Also, CMP will return your order if it arrives prior to the 4th, so careful on sending em in early.
:-B-:

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
zipperzap said:
It's one of my VERY MOST FAVORITE OF ALL TIMES GUNS TO SHOOT!!! Honestly, I could shoot ours all day long - and have - and go out looking for more ammo for tomorrow! Make a note of this if you are in the market for one!

A heads up/reminder that Underwood Carbine orders are accepted starting Sep. 4

CMP is accepting Underwood M1 Carbines starting Sep. 4th (next Tuesday). So, just a little heads up here if it had slipped your mind and want one.

Also, CMP will return your order if it arrives prior to the 4th, so careful on sending em in early.
:-B-:

I should know this! But..CMP?? What is pricing on the M-1 Carbine?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hey Zip
For those of us who don't have M-1s but would like to please post a link and give some details. We have no idea what the letters stand for.
Thanks

·
Registered
957 Posts
The Civilian Marksmanship Program. If you quailfy, They'll ship your rifle by fedx right to your door. You'll have to fill out some paperwork and get it notorized. I qualified by having a ccw permit and joining the Garand Collector Assc. (35$/year)

Here's the link:

http://www.odcmp.com/

I love the idea of the government selling me a "battle rifle" ( oowww, scary)

·
Iron Maiden
8,441 Posts
whompuss said:
Hey Zip
For those of us who don't have M-1s but would like to please post a link and give some details. We have no idea what the letters stand for.
Thanks

Some pics wouldn't hurt either.......... :mrgreen:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well Ninesey .... here's an M1 Carbine forum:
http://www.jouster.com/cgi-bin/carbine/carbine.pl

Here's all about M1 Carbines:
http://www.miltecharms.com/
http://www.fulton-armory.com/M1Carbine.htm
http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m ... i_74033105

Vacation here in San Diego and we'll take you up to the ranch for an afternoon
of all different flavors of M1's.

The ladies love the M1 Carbines because they are small, light (5Lbs8Ozs), and shoot like a
dream - no huge report or recoil .... just niiiiiiiice!

Many a GI in WWII ditched their full sized M1 for the carbine ... first chance they had!
:cool:

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
Pictures of the M-1 Carbine. It weighed 5.2 lbs and delivered a 7.62X33 round, 30 cal, at 1900 ftps with 880 ft lbs energy at the muzzle. Max range was 200 yds with a 5-6" group at 100 yds!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
sig232 said:
Pictures of the M-1 Carbine. It weighed 5.2 lbs and delivered a 7.62X33 round, 30 cal, at 1900 ftps with 880 ft lbs energy at the muzzle. Max range was 200 yds with a 5-6" group at 100 yds!

Is that right "sig". only 880 ft lbs at the Muzzle for a 7.62,why so low?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
110 grain FMJ.

No mass.

I qualified better in the Army with a 1911A1, than I did with my issue M1 Carbine, at the same ranges.

Eventually talked them into issuing me an M-14. The finest battle rifle every issued to anyone, anywhere in the world.

Doug

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It's a fun-to-shoot, plinkin' rifle - the Carbine, that is - but notoriously inaccurate - 5 MOA+ -.

The cartridge is a real squirrel stopper.

Doug

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
here we go again everbody. buddy of mine bought an M-1 carbine .30 cal. for his wife. the stock was reworked and beautifully refinished. as zipper says it shoots like a dream and so light you can walk with it all day. sounds perfect right? not in canada. the barrel length is 18 3/8 ". classed as a restricted weapon and registered as such. can't be used for hunting!! barrel is 1/8" to short from being classed as non restricted. now if he wants to weld a muzzel brake on the end of the barrel he could have it reclassified in about a year!! but, do you want to have a weld with all that heat put on the end of a rifle barrel? normally i would say no because you might play with the tempering. i've seen it where nothing happened and the other way as well,but since she can't use it as is , i say go ahead what the hell. pblsyd

·
Registered
569 Posts
Doug Wilson said:
110 grain FMJ.

Eventually talked them into issuing me an M-14. The finest battle rifle every issued to anyone, anywhere in the world.

Doug
I agree. I trained with the M-14 for 2yrs before beeing issued the "Mattel"
M-16.

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
eXXit said:
sig232 said:

Is that right "sig". only 880 ft lbs at the Muzzle for a 7.62,why so low?

As Doug said its a small bullet, no mass. Not much energy, but compared to most pistols rounds its pretty hot!

I trained on that little gem in the Air Force at Lackland TX in 1960. I shot pretty good with it qualifying as sharpshooter without much time with the rifle.

I did notice that there were quite a few accidents with the M-1 as shooters stood up and slammed the rifle down on the buttstock the slide would ratchet forward and it would fire, if the magazine was still in the rifle with ammo. Saw a couple of guys get kicked off the rifle range for that little caper.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yep - and I'll say it again - it's one of my all time favorite weapons.

I don't say that lightly.
:cool:

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
zipperzap said:
Doug Wilson:

I have refused the temptation to make light of your post

A1
That's OK, A1, you are older than I and I always respect that!

A2
:D

Plus he has the Keys to the Museum! Got to respect that also! :cool:

A3

1 - 20 of 42 Posts