National Gun Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two of the compact alum frame Kimber 45 acps that I bought for carry. They work great and are very accurate.

Have any members done any extensive shooting with the alum frame 1911 45s over the years? I am wondering how they will hold up when compared to the heavier steel models?

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
55,659 Posts
The alloy frame wears quicker than a steel frame.

Remember, quicker is a relative term. I've owned and shot a Colt Lightweight Commander for thirty years. Probably 25,000 rounds down-range. Slide to frame fit is still tight. It still shoot just as accurately as I can shoot.

Also own a Kimber Ultra CDP since 2001. No problems.

I expect both will outlast me.

·
Banned
1,456 Posts
The thing to remember with the "chopped" 1911's is the slide velocity is extremely high compared to a full sized .45. This is necessary to get the pistols to perform reliably. The slide itself has far less mass than a full sized model. You might want to look into some type of recoil buffer. This would greatly reduce wear and tear. Bill T.

G

·
Can't speak for the commander or officer's format, but I have a good friend that I shoot action pistol matches with that runs an aluminum frame. His round count is estimated at 30,000+ with no ill effects. Granted, he admits the gunisn't quite as tight as it was at round number 100, but the gun is still plenty tight, with no cracking issues, etc. He has refinished the gun with cerami-kote (bake on), he said it took up some of the slack that the gun had developed after 20,000+ rounds.

I think part of the advantage is the alloy that Kimber uses, from what I understand much harder than some others. From what I've been told it holds up better without being brittle enough to worry about cracking, particularly at slide release area of the rails.

His wife carries a S&W chief's special in 9mm, a gun which he describes as one you "carry often, shoot little" because of the softer aluminum alloy used on that gun.

Just offering what I can..............

1 - 5 of 5 Posts