National Gun Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I tend to have a light on my weapon when I am sleeping just in case I cant flick on my light because im "in the moment". Do you?

G

·
Nope, I'm with Doug.
My wife is claustrophobic and cannot stand total darkness. We have enough night lights spread around the house to be able to see a person. A light gives the intruder a possible shot at you.

G

·
No. I actually find the lights mounted on handguns to be awkward to operate. I just keep a Surefire next to my Glock, and I am very familiar with various gun/flashlight coordination techniques.

Most homes have more than enough ambient light available for target ID, anyway. I suppose if you're a high-risk target someone might cut your power before entering your home, but for most people the chances of that happening are practically non-existent.

G

·
My personal opinion, and that is all it is, is not to have a light on my firearm. The reason being that you have to point it at anything to determine if it is a threat. Granted, you might get away with it, but if you go out into your back yard, and light up some kid, and your neighbor sees you, you might be looking down the barrel of an ADW charge.

With that in mind, if you are in your home, you can shine the light on the floor, ceiling, a wall or anywhere and let ambient light give you the ability of seeing your prey. But I just don't like the idea of having to point the pistol at someone to identify them. But, I don't condemn those who do, and if I were on a jury, I would find the defendant "not guilty".

G

·
there are advantages and disadvantges to both.

take a class on low light engagement. youll get to use all kinds. keep what you want

·
Registered
341 Posts
I would like to get a light for my Springfield XD for when I' at home. My house is sometimes too dark to identify the possible intruder. My thoughts are that yes it does give away your position but at the same time will most likely blind the person looking at it.

On that thought, what do you guys suggest for an XD Subcompact??? Should I get Springfields XML or the Insight X2 light?? I have heard that the Insight version is brighter... is this true????

-Derek

G

·
Goldfinger said:
My theory is this--if you have a light on your firearm you are as much giving the intruder a perfect target to aim at as you are illuminating him. My plan is I leave the outside lights on but use no lights indoors. That way the intruder, just coming in from a well-lit environment and into a dark one, is at a distinct disadvantage. Basically, with his eyesight not adjusted to the dark, he becomes the hunted.
you dont leave the light on. you strobe with it. light, move, light, move, light , move , light, shoot, move light move again

G

·
leeindy said:
you dont leave the light on. you strobe with it. light, move, light, move, light , move , light, shoot, move light move again
Bingo, we have a winner. lee nailed it on the head with that one.

G

·
I actually do have a light on my home defence weapon. Always better to have it there than not to have it there when needed. I put it on there about a month ago because my wife was saying somthing like its took dark in here.....( She sleeps with a night-light still ) :D

G

·
Gunny the Gun said:
leeindy said:
Bingo, we have a winner. lee nailed it on the head with that one.

low light tactics is my favorite class to teach

1 - 16 of 16 Posts