National Gun Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can anyone comment on the quality of Liberty brand safes? I'm not concerned about the fancy trimmings, just how well made and how secure they are. Or can you recommend any other brand that is better than average?

My goal is a small-ish safe to store a few shotguns and a hand gun, hopefully under $1k. The house has an alarm that we use religiously so it just needs to bolt to the floor and keep the bad guys out for 10 minutes or so until the police arrive. This will be my first safe so I'm open to any suggestions.

· Grand Imperial Poobah
33,019 Posts
Liberty Safes are good safes for the price. They won't keep out a couple of determined criminals who has 30-45 minutes and the right tools, but neither will other under $1k safes. Since most criminals want to get in, grab the valuables, and get out ASAP, a Liberty Safe will protect what you have.

· Registered
6,520 Posts
You'd probably be happy with a Liberty. Security is only slowing them down.

Just for input. In So. Cal. We had a couple welding shops that went to building safes. Very good safes. You could choose the thickness of the metal. Solid metal safes. You might check where you live for such a weld shop?
Also... Better to go with the analog lock. They don't goof up. Electronics and goof up and lock you out.

· Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you everyone for the info! Also thanks for the tip on the lock. I was having the same thoughts myself; i.e. that the little electronic parts in the electronic lock might be less reliable than an old fashioned mechanical lock. I'm not interesting enough to attract any of the safe cracker type criminals who can figure out the combinations. ;)

· Keep calm & return fire!
14,179 Posts
I have an analog lock on my safe. The guy at the Liberty store suggested an electronic lock and I said "thanks, but no thanks."

· Registered
8,425 Posts
My old safe brand, National Seucrity, is now owned by Liberty and is their top of the line safes with solid steel doors. Be wary of those tick doors that look great, but they are a composite of layers and not that secure compared to solid thick steel.

· Registered
1,040 Posts
Whatever you choose a 10 gun (long gun) safe will hold 5 guns. :) A 20 gun safe about 10 so whatever you buy buy more than you need and leave room for expansion. As to Liberty? They are fine for what you seem to want, Lag it down as you mentioned. A Liberty Centurion 36:
30 Minute Certified Fire
Level 8 Security
Weight: 508 Pounds
Dimensions H x W x D: 60.5" x 36" x 22"
Should well fit your needs and currently comes in at about $1,000 in my neighborhood (SE Cleveland, Ohio suburbs). Shop around because different distributors can vary by a few hundred dollars on the same product. Review the different specifications so you get to understand what they mean.

Ron

· Registered
8,425 Posts
Whatever you choose a 10 gun (long gun) safe will hold 5 guns. :) A 20 gun safe about 10 so whatever you buy buy more than you need and leave room for expansion. As to Liberty? They are fine for what you seem to want, Lag it down as you mentioned. A Liberty Centurion 36:
30 Minute Certified Fire
Level 8 Security
Weight: 508 Pounds
Dimensions H x W x D: 60.5" x 36" x 22"
Should well fit your needs and currently comes in at about $1,000 in my neighborhood (SE Cleveland, Ohio suburbs). Shop around because different distributors can vary by a few hundred dollars on the same product. Review the different specifications so you get to understand what they mean.

Ron
That all depends on your long guns. Plain shotguns or bolt actions without scopes, you can get their stated amounts in the safe. If you add scopes, you'll get half; if you have ARs with scopes and pistol grips, you'll get 1/4 to 1/3 the stated amount...............

Reactions: SFL

· Registered
1,040 Posts
That all depends on your long guns. Plain shotguns or bolt actions without scopes, you can get their stated amounts in the safe. If you add scopes, you'll get half; if you have ARs with scopes and pistol grips, you'll get 1/4 to 1/3 the stated amount...............
Yes and there was a little tongue in cheek there. I would allow for any possible future additions. :)

Ron

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.