National Gun Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I know I'm asking a ton of question, but I'm hoping some people, much smart er than me about guns/rifles can enlightened me a tad.

So, what is the advantage/disadvantage about a lever action vs a bolt action.

I know what they do, but why would a choose one over the other?

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
personal preference mostly.

levers are faster for more follow up shots. bolts are in theroy more accurate.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
On average, bolt guns are more accurate than levers.

Bolts generally accept scopes more easily.

Bolts are capable of handling higher pressure rounds than most levers.

Bolts are typically stocked better for handling recoil.

Bolts allow use of marksman's slings without altering point of impact.

Levers are slimmer, since the receiver is narrow and there's no protruding bolt. This makes them more comfortable to carry in some methods.

Levers typically hold more rounds, though not always.

Most levers can be "topped off" as you go, since the loading gate is on the side.

The speed of operation depends more on the shooter than anything. I've seen some very good hands with a bolt gun, but good cowboy action shooters can run a lever almost like a semiauto.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
all bolt actions can shoot pointed rounds, Where only levers that are clip fed can, If they are tube fed you have to run blunted tips.
I own both lever and bot. A Savage 99F in 308. cal. This mod has a rotary mag. so it shoots pointed rounds. Bot most levers have a shorter barrel cutting down on there accuracy at longer ranges.
The other is a Husqvarna 270 Because the rounds are held snugger by a bolt there is less motion on the bullet when fired.
Both guns are tack drivers out to 200 yards but any more than that and the bolt will win hands down.
For hunting in thick brush the lever can't be beat.
Most of it comes down to what YOU are looking for in a rifle.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bear_Down said:
all bolt actions can shoot pointed rounds, Where only levers that are clip fed can, If they are tube fed you have to run blunted tips.
I guess the Leverevolution rounds haven't made it to Canada yet.

Bot most levers have a shorter barrel cutting down on there accuracy at longer ranges.
Barrel length has little if anything to do with mechanical accuracy. A shorter sight radius (if you are using iron sights) makes a carbine harder for a human to shoot well, but most people scope their hunting guns. A short barrel also sometimes has less velocity, making the bullet's trajectory arc more and requiring more holdover at long range. But this has nothing to do with grouping or the gun's accuracy - just the shooter's ability to use that accuracy.

Because the rounds are held snugger by a bolt there is less motion on the bullet when fired.
The lock-up is tighter on a bolt gun, which combined with the one-piece stock, usually makes it more accurate than a lever.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bolt guns are inherently more accurate than other actions. Some of the other actions are getting closer to the accuracy of bolt guns with new innovations and time, but not there yet. for the rest ditto what Mike stated in his posts.

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
I have a personal fondness for the lever guns. They just have that western look and are fun to shoot and mess with. They are good hunting tools for the majority of the woods shots, if you select the right cal. A very large portion of deer and elk taken each year is with lever guns.

For long range shots a bolt is the answer. Hands down.

The lever rifles are small and compact and easy to shoot quickly. A good back up gun to drop ole grizz in his tracks. A 450 or 45-70 Marlin will dispatch a large bear with the best of them.

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I,d say hunting dense cover,close Quarter like Hog Turf(at least here ) .44Mag where your chasin ur Dogs through it U dont want a scope to easy to Knock close quarter kills,Lever ;)

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If you need more then one shot to drop them, you are not as good as you think. ;)
"one shot, one kill" Bolt all the way.

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Gunny the Gun said:
If you need more then one shot to drop them, you are not as good as you think. ;)
"one shot, one kill" Bolt all the way.
Personal Preferance Bolt, Get them in Larger .cals Yip one 4 one ;)

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
for deer hunting here in ontario there are areas that allow the use of hounds that chase deer. in these areas if you didn't use dogs you would see literally nothing. when a chase gets started the dog is usually about 1/2 mile behind the deer. when the deer comes by on the run or even a lope the best guns are semi auto,lever or pump action, because of their ability to deliver follow up shots quicker than a bolt action. moose huntig with standing shots at much longer ranges, usually ,the bolt aciotn is still king. for moose hunting here the most common calbres are still the mid range,.270,.308,.30-06 in bolt action. although there are countless others. pblsyd

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Long shots, over two hundred yards, a scoped bolt action. Brushy country where the shots are much shorter, a lever action with open sights. Thats how we do it here. I carry both.:--- :--- :--- :---

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I take bolts hands down!I don't own a lever acton as I just don't like them ! The big loads like
the 45/70 I'll have it in a sharps rifle not a lever thank you !

1 - 15 of 15 Posts