National Gun Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
against the overpriced airline industry and oil industry. If you're planning on traveling somewhere within the continental US, don't take a plane or drive. Find the nearest Amtrak station and get a ticket. It's significantly cheaper than any other form of transportation. My brother took the train from Minot ND to St Paul MN for less than 60 bucks. 13 hour train ride, and he was able to sleep the whole way. Compare that to driving, where you have to fill your car every 300-400 miles with gas prices the way they are, you wouldn't be able to go 800 miles for that price. A couple hundred dollars for an airline ticket just to get there in 3 or 4 hours? Is that really worth it? All you're paying for there is the speed.
 

·
Harley Dude
Joined
·
14,651 Posts
Zulu7 said:
against the overpriced airline industry and oil industry. If you're planning on traveling somewhere within the continental US, don't take a plane or drive. Find the nearest Amtrak station and get a ticket. It's significantly cheaper than any other form of transportation. My brother took the train from Minot ND to St Paul MN for less than 60 bucks. 13 hour train ride, and he was able to sleep the whole way. Compare that to driving, where you have to fill your car every 300-400 miles with gas prices the way they are, you wouldn't be able to go 800 miles for that price. A couple hundred dollars for an airline ticket just to get there in 3 or 4 hours? Is that really worth it? All you're paying for there is the speed.
In most of the European countries that is the most cost effective and most used form of transportation.

Bring back the steam engines with the cowcatchers on the front. :eek: ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
761 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sig232 said:
Zulu7 said:
against the overpriced airline industry and oil industry. If you're planning on traveling somewhere within the continental US, don't take a plane or drive. Find the nearest Amtrak station and get a ticket. It's significantly cheaper than any other form of transportation. My brother took the train from Minot ND to St Paul MN for less than 60 bucks. 13 hour train ride, and he was able to sleep the whole way. Compare that to driving, where you have to fill your car every 300-400 miles with gas prices the way they are, you wouldn't be able to go 800 miles for that price. A couple hundred dollars for an airline ticket just to get there in 3 or 4 hours? Is that really worth it? All you're paying for there is the speed.
In most of the European countries that is the most cost effective and most used form of transportation.

Bring back the steam engines with the cowcatchers on the front. :eek: ;)

Feeling kinda nostalgic there, Lee?
 
G

·
I'm all for the train, when I was a kid that was the standard transportation Would be simple for the carriers to offer internet connection. Time would not be wasted, work while you ride,
 

·
Beretta 92 Fanatic
Joined
·
547 Posts
There is no real way to boycott the oil industry - they have us and they know it. The only way out is for the govt to give some meaningful tax breaks and incentives to alternative enegry research companies. They should encourage this.

If U boycott filling up your car on a specific day, you'll just have more people go the next day or two days later. They have us.

Buying a more fuel economical car could hep a bit - if more people did it. Otherwise, we are stuck. American society is different than in EUro countries. We all want our car.

With me working 35-40 min away from where I live, I put about 100 miles on my car everyday. I stick w/ a 4 cylinder because of gas milage, despite me needing a larger car because my son. I just can't afford a larger gas bill, so I need something with around 30mpg highway milage.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
785 Posts
Airplane tickets have actually gone down in price. About 10 years ago I was travelling from Ohio to NY/NJ on a regular basis. The cheapest airline tickets I could find were around $900. That's almost $3.00/mile!! I ended up driving if I had the time. Mrs E and I flew to Hawaii last November for about $700/ticket, which is about $.03/mile, and I just bought two tickets to Ft Myers for about $300 per.

However, I agree we need to do something about oil consumption and global warming has nothing to do with my motivation!! (read: GW caused by human activity is a hoax foisted on us by the UN and others wanting to gain additional control!). I also drive a four cylinder and get about 30 mpg on the highway.

Fuel Cells, Solar, Wind, Geothermal and a host of other energy sources are renewable and when implemented in a large scale will put I'm a Dinner Jacket and the other MidEast nut cases under the bus...

E
 

·
Iron Maiden
Joined
·
8,441 Posts
Easier said than done!

Here where I live there is no Amtrak, and no public transport. The only buses that run, are those that run from areas that I would be too scared to even drive through.............. :shock:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
283 Posts
standerson said:
I'd be all for that, if Amtrak could keep their trains on the tracks.
The official AmTrack song.

Casey Jones

Driving that train, high on cocaine,
Casey Jones is ready, watch your speed.
Trouble ahead, trouble behind,
And you know that notion just crossed my mind.

This old engine makes it on time,
Leaves Central Station 'bout a quarter to nine,
Hits River Junction at seventeen to,
At a quarter to ten you know it's travlin' again.

Driving that train, high on cocaine,
Casey Jones is ready, watch your speed.
Trouble ahead, trouble behind,
And you know that notion just crossed my mind.

Trouble ahead, Lady in red,
Take my advice you'd be better off dead.
Switchman's sleeping, train hundred and two is
On the wrong track and headed for you.

Driving that train, high on cocaine,
Trouble ahead, trouble behind,
And you know that notion just crossed my mind.

Trouble with you is the trouble with me,
Got two good eyes but you still don't see.
Come round the bend, you know it's the end,
The fireman screams and the engine just gleams...
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,456 Posts
Our rail system is outdated, dilapidated, and crude when compared to the European systems that are state of the art as rail transportation goes. The French TGV is the fastest train in the world, and has gone 311 MPH in a high speed test run. It reaches over 200 MPH in regular service. The Germans have Mag Lev trains up and running now over 150 MPH. Amtrack can't stay on the rails at 65 MPH. And it's use is limited. I'm in the same boat as She 9. Here in Phoenix public transportation is very limited. It's a car or walk. Considering I live 30 miles from work, that's not a viable alternative. The good news is I only work 3 days a week. Fuel Cell technology is still 30 years away from being cost effective. Hydrogen costs more to produce than it's worth. And consumes more fuel than it makes. Our nation was built on petroleum, and thrives on it. Same with coal. Al Gore & Company are simply going to have to live with our giant "carbon footprints". At least for the time being. Besides, gas is still cheap. When I started driving in 1968 a gallon of gas was around .33 to .35 cents a gallon. A new Chevy Camaro was around $3,200.00 to $3,500.00. A nice suburban home was around $25,000.00 to $30,000.00. Today that same gallon of gas is around $2.50 to $3.00 a gallon. Up about ten times in 40 years. That new Camaro is now $27,000.00 to $35,000.00, also up about ten fold. The nice suburban home, depending on location, is anywhere from $250,000.00 to well over $400,000.00. Up over 10 times. No one complains about the cost of homes. They still new car shop with more enthusiasm for the product, than complaints about the price. But pull into a gas station to fill up the tank, and "Oh My God, They're Screwing Us!" If gas had stayed with inflation you would have had $2.00 a gallon gas back in the early 90's. The fact it's gone up quicker means it's stayed cheaper longer and is an advantage to the consumer, simply because it means you've been paying less for it longer. Gas is still cheap and plentiful. If you think the oil companies are ripping you off, invest in Preferred Stock. You can own them just like the "fat cats" who are "screwing everyone". Bill T.
 

·
Harley Dude
Joined
·
14,651 Posts
Our gas is still very cheap compared to the price in Europe. I remember "Mond" the GB member from England chatting about his diesels and the price of Petrol being in the $7-8 range. :eek: :eek:
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,456 Posts
sig232 said:
Our gas is still very cheap compared to the price in Europe. I remember "Mond" the GB member from England chatting about his diesels and the price of Petrol being in the $7-8 range. :eek: :eek:
Your post is very true. However bear in mind that a barrel of oil costs the same for European nations as we pay. Refining costs for Elf and Agip are the same as for Exxon/Mobil. Their added cost is for super heavy taxes levied for all of their Socialistic programs. Because of this Europeans think before they drive. We in this nation need to do the same. I watch my neighbors wife come and go 10 times a day. People just don't think. They need to start. You don't run your A/C in the Summer with the windows open, and now you don't drive across town 10 times a day when you can do it once. Most all of this is basic common sence, nothing more. Bill T.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
1,456 Posts
Sorry, I must correct my last statement. Elf and Agip have higher refining costs based upon the fact they as corporations must pay into these Socialistic programs put forth by their nations. Health, retirement, and a host of other programs makes what a US employee earns miniscule. A GM worker could easily be compared to a McDonald's employee in that regard. Bill T.
 

·
Harley Dude
Joined
·
14,651 Posts
billt said:
sig232 said:
Our gas is still very cheap compared to the price in Europe. I remember "Mond" the GB member from England chatting about his diesels and the price of Petrol being in the $7-8 range. :eek: :eek:
Your post is very true. However bear in mind that a barrel of oil costs the same for European nations as we pay. Refining costs for Elf and Agip are the same as for Exxon/Mobil. Their added cost is for super heavy taxes levied for all of their Socialistic programs. Because of this Europeans think before they drive. We in this nation need to do the same. I watch my neighbors wife come and go 10 times a day. People just don't think. They need to start. You don't run your A/C in the Summer with the windows open, and now you don't drive across town 10 times a day when you can do it once. Most all of this is basic common sense, nothing more. Bill T.

Un, I have to take exception with your comment above. My son and wife do run the AC in the summer with the window open and the just a screen door in place. I come home and correct this quickly, letting them know that I refuse to AC the whole county!

My wife is very good about saving gasoline though, she combines her trips and does not travel without a good reason. We have cut way back on the use of fuel.

You are correct about the tax rates in the UK and other European nations being off the scale. It would be that way here if the liberals have their way. They are stumbling all over themselves right now with tax increase bills that will be coming up soon. They have in mind some real shockers for us in the near future.
 

·
Iron Maiden
Joined
·
8,441 Posts
sig232 said:
billt said:
sig232 said:
You don't run your A/C in the Summer with the windows open,



Un, I have to take exception with your comment above. My son and wife do run the AC in the summer with the window open and the just a screen door in place. I come home and correct this quickly, letting them know that I refuse to AC the whole county!



Geez!!! :roll: Don't you guys get it?!?!? They're trying to help with global warming....... ;) :mrgreen:
 
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Top