National Gun Forum banner

Let's play "What's That Round?"

2K views 16 replies 8 participants last post by  Alan R McDaniel Jr 
#1 ·
A while back a fellow gave me a 50 cal ammo box full of various ammo and accouterments. Every now and then I start going through sorting it out. Yesterday I found one of these. I took me a little while but I think I figured it out. I started to Google it, but what fun is that? I decided to use the printed material at hand. I finally found what I think it is in Nonte's Cartridge Conversions.

If you have one, you'll likely know it. This rifle/round is one of those that I kick myself regularly for not spending all my lawn mowing money on as many as I could buy when I was young...

Alan

M1 on the left.
Pen Writing implement Wood Office supplies Office equipment
Automotive tire Automotive wheel system Gas Wood Auto part
Rectangle Wood Font Hardwood Metal
Wood Rectangle Font Flash memory Metal
Wood Rectangle Font Automotive exterior Hardwood
Gadget Wood Communication Device Electronic component Electronic engineering
Calipers Wood Tool Measuring instrument Rotary tool
Calipers Wood Rectangle Bicycle part Gas

See less See more
#3 ·
303 British is a rimmed case.

Alan

#5 ·
7.5x55 swiss?

#7 ·
That's what I got also. 7.5X55 Schmidt-Rubin...

Alan

Reactions: Square target
#10 ·
The .304 bullet diameter is significant. The only thing I could find in my books was 7.5x55 Schmidt-Rubin (7.5X55 Swiss).

Alan

#11 · (Edited)
Correction: not 7.5x55 Schmidt-Rubin (7.5x55 Swiss) but close.

7.5x??.? Schmidt-Rubin.

i suppose y’all will have to look it up.
Page 189 Nonte Cartridge Conversions

Alan

#12 ·
Again, the .304 billet diameter is key.

Alan

#14 ·
It looks just like a 7.5x55 to me. The fat case and taper looks identical. The bullet might measure .308 inside the case neck. It's one of my favorite rounds too..

Reactions: gvaldeg1
#15 ·
The case appears to be crimped into a cannelure and I suppose could have a different measurement inside the neck. It does measure 55 mm or thereabouts. The .304 is what made me think it was 7.5x53.5 Schmidt-Rubin.

And another check via the internet....

The Prize goes to Mr. Squaretarget. BTW there is no prize.

Alan

"The GP11’s .307-inch diameter starts behind the cannelure."

Reactions: gvaldeg1
#16 ·
I just looked up what you were taking about and found this, 7.5 x 54.5 . Not sure if i ever heard of this round or if i had forgotten about. I knew there was a difference in the older and newer ammo and that you're not supposed to use the GP ammo in older guns because it's very stout ammo. I didn't bother to look up the case dimensions, was just searching for .304 bullet size.

No prize? Now I'm deeply hurt. I was hoping for the 1911 made from a meteorite or something like that.:cry:

#17 ·
Okay, Okay, I'll kick around in the yard and see if I can find a meteorite (or something like that) and get started making the 1911 tomorrow...

Alan

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.