National Gun Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I want to purchase my first rifle and have chosen the mosin because of its legendary reliability and its cheapness. I wanted to know the length from the back of the stock to the trigger to see if this firearm would fit me comfortably. Thank you for any help you can give me.

·
Registered
23 Posts
If you find the length to be a bit short, you can always get a slip-on rubber buttpad or one that replaces the metal buttplate. Also, a word of advice for a new Mosin shooter: heavier bullets like the Silver Bear 203-grain do much to remove the sharpness from the gun's recoil. I own two, an all-matching 1943 Izhevsk M91/30 and a 1970-dated Finn M39. The M91's wearing a rubbber buttpad, and the Finn is going to be getting one soon.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
heavier bullets like the Silver Bear 203-grain do much to remove the sharpness from the gun's recoil.
Speaking of which what ammunition for it would you recommend? And are there any brass cased ammos that are less than $16 per 20 round box?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Speaking of which what ammunition for it would you recommend? And are there any brass cased ammos that are less than $16 per 20 round box?
I recommend PRVI Partizan, mostly. Their stuff is always good quality, and is right at $16 for 20. But the Silver Bear stuff is good, too, even if it's not reloadable.

·
Registered
23 Posts
By the way, Prvi Partizan is also labeled PPU. So if you see ammo just labeled PPU, that's still the good stuff.

Cheap corrosive surplus isn't bad in a Mosin as long as you religiously clean the rifle immediately after shooting. If you don't give it time to cause rust, it won't damage the gun. But keep it out of gas-operated rifles. That crap goes everywhere. and is impossible to fully clean; you'll burn more money in cleaning supplies than you'll save in ammo costs. Russian and Romanian surplus tends to be the best.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts