National Gun Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. First thing that I will say for you all is that yes, I am a stupid for believing that it was okay to bring a legal out of state firearm to NY and should have done research before doing so. I also do have a lawyer for this matter. I am here for support, learning and possibly knowledge from someone that has been in my situation. Due to this being a pending case, I am not going to give personal or detailed information that may be used against me. I do hope the State, City and people of NY forgive me for my oversight.

I brought my legally owned handgun (no ammo) to NY (state). Upon attempting to return home via a flight, I was arrested for the possession when declaring the firearm in my checked bag like I have done before (in other states), following proper TSA and airport approved rules. Multiple NY police officers assured me that this is not as serious crime do to having no ammo and it being at least legally owned in another state. It is a felony and the prosecutors choice either way, not an officers. They also said that I am able to have my firearm returned after case is closed and assured that I would see the judge promptly and be on a flight home that evening. I have always respected them but I NEVER believe Officers of the "LAW". After being processed and transported to holding for arraignment, I waited over 24 hours to see the judge. I would not place the holding as constitutional as there are not beds for overnight and no blankets to stay warm in their cold cells. Since they took my warmer clothing during processing without allowing the return of sweater and left me only a t-shirt, jeans and shoes, it was unbearably cold the entire time. 99% of other charged citizens had hoodies or jackets. My lawyer has told me that the firearm will never be in my possession again. I understand now that NY is not gun friendly and that I should have dug deep before transporting any weapon. Better late than never though and I am proud to write about this because I do hope that at least one individual that would have made my mistake has read this and changed their minds about bringing their gun into another state without doing very deep investigation into the gun laws for each state and county they plan to be in. So if anyone has any helpful information that may help or if someone that has been through this experience and is willing to give direction into how they may have gotten charges dropped or lowered, as of now a pending felon, I would deeply appreciate the support as I am sure other readers as uneducated as I was would love to read and learn.

Thank you.

·
Ancient Gaseous Emanation
54,413 Posts
You have my sympathy. That's about all I can offer.

·
5,082 Posts
Violation of state and federal laws. There are some states that can expunge certain convictions or pleas after ten years or so, as to owning again. To legally purchase through fed background check is most likely done with. You have most likely legally owned your last firearm. It is good of you to warn others. Then there are those that have carried legally, defended themselves when appropriate, missed, killed innocents, and also have their lives affected permanently. Perhaps your councel can achieve a good plea arrangement. Good luck.

·
Super Moderator
11,416 Posts
I won't travel to such states voluntarily and if I do, I don't take any firearms with me.

--Wag--

·
Registered
6,544 Posts
my prediction............eventually plead down to a misdemeanor, heavy fine, and loss of firearm.......that is if you have a good lawyer...........\
given time.....expunged record. That would be the local route

in the mean time......it would not hurt to contact the NRA...........get it out of the local network

the NRA does have an assistance program here....... https://www.nradefensefund.org/requesting-help.aspx

their current litigation cases State by State are here.......... https://www.nradefensefund.org/current-litigation.aspx

and under their new york section.... https://www.nradefensefund.org/current-litigation.aspx#New York
they have this specific case mentioned.....
City of New York v. Ron Allison. New York. The applicant's attorney relates the following pertinent facts: While attempting to board a connecting flight at New York City's LaGuardia Airport, Mr. Allison was arrested for possessing an unloaded, locked, .22 caliber pistol in his checked baggage. Airport security discovered the pistol when Mr. Allison, per the proper procedure, declared its presence to an airline ticket agent while checking his bag. In December of 2015, all charges against Mr. Allison were dismissed.
so you can either fight it with your resources, fight it with the NRA........or pay the fiddler.........but whatever route you go, you yourself are the one that put yourself in the position you are in. Now you just have to decide whether to be buried by your own actions or get some help digging yourself out of the hole........

And if you are not a member of the NRA.....well, better late than never................

·
Registered
6,544 Posts
and by the way......count your blessings they let you keep your shoes.........we don't..........just minimal clothing...a shirt and pants or shorts...
but i have a feeling that this is a drive-by posting............

·
Registered
74 Posts
Since 9/11 you can't take a bottle of sunscreen or even water in your carry-on.
And NY is known as vehemently anti-gun. (I moved from there recently - before I got any guns).
I sympathize with you in your predicament, and I hope you can get the charges dismissed.
But what were you thinking? You can't just go flying around w/o knowing what laws you're flaunting.
Which by you now are painfully aware. I am sorry to state the unpleasant truth.

It's a darned good thing you had no ammo as that seems to bolster your case - or lessen the case against you.
I wonder, if you field stripped the gun, and had some components in one bag, and other components in another - the gun in pieces in two separate bags, if that would be even better than just not having any ammo?
Just food for thought. I wonder if that would be any defense, since it is inoperable as a gun in that condition.

·
Registered
364 Posts
No, I imagine because several passengers could share parts to equal a whole weapon. Avoid these strict states whenever possible and if you can't then be sure you are following their rules! By the way (NY airport victim) I notice you haven't responded since your original post; perhaps a 1 post wonder...
I wonder, if you field stripped the gun, and had some components in one bag, and other components in another - the gun in pieces in two separate bags, if that would be even better than just not having any ammo?
Just food for thought. I wonder if that would be any defense, since it is inoperable as a gun in that condition.

·
Grand Imperial Poobah
22,975 Posts
Two rules to live free by .....

Don't fly.
Don't travel to communist states.

My only suggestion for the OP is to delay your case for as long as possible and hope that the National Conceal Carry Reciprocity bill in Congress becomes law before your court date.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts