National Gun Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do you let a firearm stay in your vehicle overnight? I accidently left mine in the car last night and woke up and immediately checked. Do you guys do this on a regular basis/somtimes?

G

·
no i don't. however according to the national firearms assoc. up here, the wording of bill c-68 prevents you from being charged with unsafe storage if you do leave it in a vehicle and it gets stolen. attorneys have defended ,with the nfa's guidance ,and won cases. the stupid law refers to safe storage as being only in a building or dwelling.otherwise it's the owners fault for not securing his or her firearms not the dink who broke in and stole it!!! pblsyd

·
Registered
761 Posts
Never. First off, it's illegal to have a loaded, uncased weapon anywhere in a motor vehicle here in the land of cheese and cows. Secondly, with the temperature changes, it'd rust up any weapon left in a vehicle, cased or uncased. Thirdly, it's just not the brightest idea anyone could ever have.

·
Harley Dude
14,651 Posts
I think about the only time I do that is when I am traveling on the road. Then I might leave a gun in the car for a short time. I usually have my gun on my person if I have it with me.

I have put the gun in the trunk when I had to go in the post office or other state/federal buildings, but I think that has only happened a couple of times.

·
Registered
569 Posts
I bring mine inside with me at night but the wife leaves hers in her car locked-up in our garage. She has to leave her's in her vehicle at the airport in a secure parking lot cause firearms are illegal there...she works for TSA.

G

·
ive got a truck gun.... it never leaves the truck. but its more secure than the house.

the alarm system on my truck is crazy loud and it sends a message to my key ring when it goes off.

·
Registered
657 Posts
No.
I open carry here and never take the gun off while out of the home and in the car.
Many years ago while I still worked for DoD as a civilian I forgot I had a revolver in my car and I carried it off and on the shipyard for several days without knowing it.
That broke that habit of accidentally leaving it in the car.
I could have been fired for having a gun on the shipyard at the time.
My son left his model 92 in his car all the time until someone broke into his car to get his CDs and found the gun and took it too. And the bad thing is that the model 92 was in my name and he got the gun from me. It was reported properly as stolen but you never know when a knock will come at the door wanting to talk to me about where that gun was used.
He replaced the gun with a Sig .40 and is now an on the person open carry type like me here in AZ.

G

·
there is a stainless Ruger P 95 in my truck 24/7 along with 2 loaded mags , the only time it comes out is if the truck is going to the shop for service , but you do need to know that it is unloaded inside a steel gun safe that is attached to the seat supports by a steel cable , if they want to tell me its not stored correct they can g o too H e l l

G

·
I have done it a couple times.

I even did it one time with the windows down and the Bronco unlocked with a brand new gun! :oops:

Lucky for me I live out in the sticks and there are really no passer-byes in the area!

G

·
git_r_done said:
I have done it a couple times.

I even did it one time with the windows down and the Bronco unlocked with a brand new gun! :oops:

Lucky for me I live out in the sticks and there are really no passer-byes in the area!
Boy you and me. I live in the sticks and last week I was damm proud of it. I pulled up in front of the house RIGHT BY THE ROAD (the wife gets the carport) and got my AR15 and my saddle bags out and layed them on top of my truck, went and checked the mail, went to check the horses water, watered them, watered the dogs and went in the house. An hour later I remembered the rifle and saddlebags and limped as fast as I could (I'm crippled) out to the truck and low and behold, they were still on top of my pickup!!!! We don't get three drivers down our road in a days time. I'll take country livin' any time. -I :--- -I :---

1 - 13 of 13 Posts