National Gun Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Does anyone know when the last single action revolvers were used in US law enforcement? When I was a kid in grade school all the cops had Smith (and maybe a few Colt) DA revolvers, but can anyone tell me when the last single action wheel gun was put out of service to make way for the double actions. I'd like to guess that there were some still being used in the twenties and thirties in rural states, but I'll bet some one could surprise me with some info that they were used much later then that in some places. I have a realtive that was a Cop in an urban community in Northern NJ just across the river from NYC. He told me that they still had a 30.30 lever action Winchester Model 94 in their arsenal in the mid 80's. Any other stories of old guns officialy used by cops lately?

·
Old School.
11,011 Posts
Last one I seen was an old country sheriff back in the hills of Kentucky. IIRC it had about a 41/2" barrel and was a Colt. Now this was back in the 50's when I was a kid. :biggrin5:

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
That's hot stuff!!

Last one I seen was an old country sheriff back in the hills of Kentucky. IIRC it had about a 41/2" barrel and was a Colt. Now this was back in the 50's when I was a kid. :biggrin5:
Thanks, I'm trying to imagine A sheriff with a SA driving a Chevy or Ford rather than a horse.

G

·
The day my old man retired after 30 years as a deputy....he carried his Colt SAA with aged ivory grips in a "John Wayne" style rig with his cuffs hanging off the back.

That was in 1989, the same year I graduated from the academy. I rode as his partner the day he retired.

·
Old School.
11,011 Posts
The day my old man retired after 30 years as a deputy....he carried his Colt SAA with aged ivory grips in a "John Wayne" style rig with his cuffs hanging off the back.

That was in 1989, the same year I graduated from the academy. I rode as his partner the day he retired.
:thumbsup: Now that would have to be a day to cherish in your family history. It was great that you could do that. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey Cessna Driver, That's pretty cool!!!

That must of been really great. I didn't have anyone from my family in Law enforcement. I just got involved on my own. I thought it was pretty cool when guys had a family history of being on the job. My kids talk about it, and I tell them to do whatever they want, but I'm not so sure that it's the best job in the world. The job was fun until I had kids then I started to see things differently. Where are you guys cops? I'm real curious to know who still had SA's in 1989. I wasn't totaly shocked about Baldy's sighting of a SA on the job in the 50's, but the 80's is a shock. A lot of PD's had already made the transition to Semi autos by then.
Good luck and be safe brother!

·
Right Wing Zealot
1,228 Posts
Any other stories of old guns officialy used by cops lately?
I guess I have a couple. My tour started in 1989 with a rural Sheriff Dept here in Texas. The dept had a 1920-1930 model Thompson Sub-Machine gun in .45ACP. Although it wasn't carried by anyone, it still made it out to the range on occassion and was a blast to shoot. It was bought by the Sheriff back then after a bank robbery. My understanding was that it was still available for deployment into the early 80's...as assault rifles still hadn't made a huge debut in rural LE yet.

One of the guys I worked with took care of the jail and taking prisoners to the state pen...he was probably late 50' early 60's and he carried a Single Action Colt...and he was every bit as tough as that gun was.

I think there were some SA revolvers still floating around after that, but in similar circumstances...rural areas run by guys that you weren't going to make change with the 'modern times'. Loved those guys.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Last fall I spoke with a LEO in New Orleans who was working near the Superdome. He still carried a S&W revolver. I called him "Old School" he laughed and we had a good chat. He liked the revolver.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Last fall I spoke with a LEO in New Orleans who was working near the Superdome. He still carried a S&W revolver. I called him "Old School" he laughed and we had a good chat. He liked the revolver.
Was that a single action or a double action revolver? Did S&W make SA revolvers? I'm only familiar with Smiths DA's.

G

·
That must of been really great. I didn't have anyone from my family in Law enforcement. I just got involved on my own. I thought it was pretty cool when guys had a family history of being on the job. My kids talk about it, and I tell them to do whatever they want, but I'm not so sure that it's the best job in the world. The job was fun until I had kids then I started to see things differently. Where are you guys cops? I'm real curious to know who still had SA's in 1989. I wasn't totaly shocked about Baldy's sighting of a SA on the job in the 50's, but the 80's is a shock. A lot of PD's had already made the transition to Semi autos by then.
Good luck and be safe brother!
It wasn't an issue gun....he normally carried a 6" Colt Python. It was his last day, so he packed his cherished SAA on that one day.

I started as a deputy with the same department the year he retired, 1989. Pima County. Then after I finished my degree, I got recruited by DEA and spent 10 years with them until I got pensioned off after a career ending injury to my legs.

G

·
A bit off topic but "antique" related. Early in my career and while still in uniform there was a deputy town marshall in a small town in our county that carried an old Colt DA revolver of some kind. The thing about this guy and his gear was that he carried his cartridges in a loop cartridge carrier and those cartridges had been in there so long there was green corrosion on the brass cases. He was the deputy town marshall until I arrested him for supplying liquor to minors.

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
He must of been a knucklehead

He deserved being locked up for supplying minors with alcohol, and he probably wasn't that swift if his bullets were corroded. No proffessional courtesy for a guy like that!

·
Registered
179 Posts
I remember some deputies in the Cheyenne area in the mid-70s still had Ruger Blackhawks, I don't know if they were 41s or 45s.

I remember seeing our town marshall here in the Southeast Ozarks (also mid-70s) with a Colt SAA in his seat, but he never wore a gun at all.

G

·
I remember as a kid in Elko County Nevada a game warden who always carried a Colt single action but I don't recall the caliber, this was about 1956.

Ron

1 - 14 of 14 Posts